It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2006, 06:57 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

viktik HB User
Still sleep deprived and feeling terrible

Hi everyone,

For the last few months, I have been so sleep deprived because of having to get up so many times during the night to go to the bathroom. I take a low dose sleeping tablet that my doctor lets me have, but it isn't helping anymore. Also, I have the buzzing feet all day and night, and the achy legs in the evenings. Add the afternoon sleepiness, the anxiety and the stomach problems, and I am a mess! Working full-time in the midst of all this, isn't easy, but thankfully, I have a low stress job and I work with wonderful people. Does anyone else have these ongoing, distressing symptoms?

I have an appt. with my doctor this coming Thursday, and I think he will be able to prescribe something that will help.

I always appreciate your input--have a nice weekend!

Lynn

Old 02-04-2006, 09:26 AM   #2
(female)

Wizard HB User
Re: Still sleep deprived and feeling terrible

Hi Lynn:

It sounds like you and I are in the same boat.

The only difference is that I'm a stay at home mom but all of this on top of looking after a 4 year old can be so trying. I just feel most days like I'm so out of patience.

Right now, I'm taking a low dose of Clonanzepam to help with the sleep issues. I have a real problem where if I'm sleep deprived enough, after a while I just can't eat and I lose tons of weight so I'm really trying to micro-manage the sleep issues.

I also have the buzzing feet and hands that often extends up to my mid arm and leg, aching joints, Sometimes the buzzing feeling becomes a burning feeling which is a real joy. I find that I have migraine type tension headaches surrounding my cycle times, mid afternoon exhaustion, irritability, anxiety that seems to surround my own health issues..the list seems endless.

I'm a still getting regular periods although they're coming closer together, every 24 days and are much lighter so this could go on for some time. A doctor on another menopause website did recommend some things for the nerve irritation in my hands and feet. I have an appt with my doctor on the 13th and I'm going to ask about them at that point. I'll find the post and let you know what she recommended.

Isn't this just the time of your life?

Last edited by Wizard; 02-04-2006 at 09:28 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2006, 09:32 AM   #3
(female)

Wizard HB User

Hi:

Here's what the doctor on the other board recommended for the buzzing, burning feet and hands.

"""""Sounds like you have the 'nerves on fire' sort of thing that goes with dropping levels of estrogen. Symptoms can include: 1) formication or itchy crawling skin (the name comes from the Latin root for ants)
2) burning mouth syndrome, or 3) peripheral neuropathy with tingling and burning hands and/or feet.

Frequent, lighter periods is definitely a step on the road to menopause. Although you won't be considering estrogen, it's possible that progesterone could quiet your tingly nerves, and that hormone is not associated with clotting. In addition, there are two medications, one old and generic called gabapentin (used to be neurontin) and one new, brand name, and probably expensive called Lyrica that also soothe nerves on fire. I use gabapentin as a sleep aid for women our age as it is not habit-forming, decreases anxiety, AND decreases hot flashes.

An over-the-counter supplement called alpha lipoic acid is also good for peripheral nerve upset. It's been tested at doses of 600 mg. twice daily but given the price of this supplement, I'd try lower doses first."""""

I"m going to ask my doctor about these options and see what he has to say.

Old 02-04-2006, 01:23 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

viktik HB User

Hi Wizard,

Thank you so much for the all the information about these strange, ongoing symptoms! Since I am still having regular periods, my doctor has already told me that he isn't even going to think about hormone replacement for quite a while yet, if at all, but I'll see what he says about everything when I tell him how bad I have felt since I saw him last. I go this coming Thursday. He wants me to come every two months while I am having such severe symptoms.

I haven't really had the hot flashes yet, and I pray I won't get them! I get cold flashes though, and my temperature is usually between 96.5 and 97.2, so I'm thinking there could be a thyroid thing going on. This time of life is a health "guessing game" isn't it? !!

I hope you will have the energy you need to care for your children. Have a good weekend!

Lynn

Old 02-04-2006, 01:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

HI Ladies,
I went through awful periods of not sleeping, having to use the bathroon 2-3 times a night, the anxiety and absolutely no patience whatsoever. Unfortunately my job is high stress, and I'll tell you with no sleep and anxiety attacks, it's a miracle I survived all of it.
Was just wondering if either of you had tried supplements? Magnesium has helped me a lot with the stress, palpitations, and sleep. It can be a little rough on the lower intestines, but there is one called slo-mag that doesn't seem to bother me. It was recommended by one of the ladies on this board.And I just read this week that something like 85% of migraine sufferers are magnesium deficient. I started getting migraines with menopause, but since taking magnesium I only get routine stress headaches, but not really any migraines.
I also take omega-3 fish oil which has helped tremendously with the anxiety & sleeplessness. I've slept better since I started taking it, although it took several weeks to improve both the sleep problem & anxiety. I also rarely have to get up in the night anymore.
This is not a fun time, for sure. But the ladies here have been of great help to me.
I think they saved my sanity.
Hellas

Old 02-04-2006, 01:42 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

viktik HB User

Hi Hellas,

Since I have a very sensitive stomach, I haven't taken the magesium yet, though many on these boards have suggested. I take calcium every evening with my dinner. Also, I read that peanut butter and bananas have a lot of magnesium in them, I love both of those things, so maybe that helps a little. As for the Omega 3, I just bought some but haven't started taking it yet. I was concerned that there might be a "fishy" after taste with taking them, but Nornie on this board said to put them in the freezer, and I won't have to worry about a fishy taste! That's what I love about these boards--so much helpful advice and very supportive ladies!

I'm sorry you have a high stress job, but it sounds like you are doing better now, since you take the Magnesium and the Omega 3. By the way, do you have sweet cravings? I really struggle with that, which I hear is a part of peri, and, though I am very small, I do have some sweets now and then just to satisfy that healthy sweet tooth! hee hee!

Have a good weekend!
Lynn

Old 02-04-2006, 02:04 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Hi Lynn,
I refrigerate my fish oil and take it after dinner, since it's my largest meal of the day.
The only time I ever burped up a fishy taste was when I took it with my coffee on the way to work. Not one to eat breakfst, that was a bad idea. Yuk!
THe magnesium i take with my calcium at night too. Since the magnesium helps to relax you, I figure taking it a couple of hours before I go to bed is best.
I'm 4-5 yrs post-menopause, but I remember the cravings all too well. Chocolate & salt. I still have a sweet tooth though, but try to limit it to once a week. Unfortunately the Easter candy is popping up in the stores, and that is my favorite candy of all. ALL of it.
I sure wish I had started on the magnesium & fish oil about 5-6 years ago, though. Maybe I wouldn't have had such a horrible time. And I didn't find these boards till last spring. What a life saver this place has been, as I was at the end of my ropes then.
For me, all my sypmtoms started when the periods stopped. All at once. Wham! If I'd had symptoms during peri, maybe it wouldn't have been so bad.
Good luck and hope you find some good sleep soon.
Hellas

Old 02-04-2006, 02:11 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

nornie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktik
Hi Hellas,

Since I have a very sensitive stomach, I haven't taken the magesium yet, though many on these boards have suggested. I take calcium every evening with my dinner. Also, I read that peanut butter and bananas have a lot of magnesium in them, I love both of those things, so maybe that helps a little. As for the Omega 3, I just bought some but haven't started taking it yet. I was concerned that there might be a "fishy" after taste with taking them, but Nornie on this board said to put them in the freezer, and I won't have to worry about a fishy taste! That's what I love about these boards--so much helpful advice and very supportive ladies!

I'm sorry you have a high stress job, but it sounds like you are doing better now, since you take the Magnesium and the Omega 3. By the way, do you have sweet cravings? I really struggle with that, which I hear is a part of peri, and, though I am very small, I do have some sweets now and then just to satisfy that healthy sweet tooth! hee hee!

Have a good weekend!
Lynn
Hi Lynn,

Believe it or not, I was told that magnesium can also help with the sweet cravings!! Of course, as we are going through such a tough time now anyhow, it's good to treat ourselves to something we crave once in a while. But if it gets excessive that's not good as while sugar and sweets make us feel good in the short term, they do make peri symptoms worse in the long term. Magnesium is also needed to help your body absorb calcium. Calcium is also constipating and magnesium helps avoid that. I used to have alot of problems with constipation from calcium, but since I've started taking the mag with it, problem gone!!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Nornie

Old 02-04-2006, 02:13 PM   #9
(female)

Wizard HB User

Hi:

I'm taking the magnesium each night before bed and I also take flax seed oil and Omega 3 oils every day. They do help with the feelings of jitteriness but unfortunately, do nothing for the tingling and burning in my arms and legs. The tingling is my biggest problem right now since it really interrupts my sleep.

I did find that the best Magesium is in liquid form with calcium and vitamin D added. The pill form of magnesium does tend to give rather loose bowels. I take the flax seed and fish oils with a drink of orange juice and don't notice any aftertaste at all.

Jo

Old 02-04-2006, 02:16 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User

I'm also still having a lot of problems with sleepless nights, going on about 8-9 months now. It's not as bad as it was, so probably the magnesium and fish oil has helped me also. I usually sleep okay except right before and the first day or so of my period. So I'm guessing the drop in hormones is the big culprit. I'm trying to get balanced through bio-identical hormones, but still am working on it.

Since my 20's, when I got a lot of urinary tract infections, I've always had to get up in the night (usually just once). In later years, during peri, it's been more like twice, unless I'm dead tired. I try to avoid things that may irritate the bladder, like caffiene, anything carbonated and I try to drink my alotment of water early in the day so I'm not drinking much water after about 7pm. Alcohol isn't the best, but I'm not giving up my glass or two of wine the the evening.

I've also noticed when I have really bad insomnia, I will get up and pee almost every 30 minutes. It's like the anxiety really revs it up! Most annoying.

Old 02-04-2006, 05:29 PM   #11
(female)

laineyk HB User

Katidid...that is exactly what happens to me when I start to get anxious at night then I am up and down every 20 minutes just like you said. Then I have to take a klonopin to rest myself.
I have a question for all that take the calcium/magnisium...I take it too but I take it three times a day...can I take all three pills at night to help better with sleep? servings are three capsules and I get calcium 500mgs, Magnisium 250mgs...is that even enough??? I take one w/breakfast, one w/ lunch and then one before bed (which has helped but wonder if it could be better)
God Bless, Lainey

Old 02-04-2006, 07:58 PM   #12
(female)

Wizard HB User

Lainey:

I take all of my magnesium right before bed.

When I take it in the liquid form, it's in a ratio of 360 mg Magnesium to 480 mg of calcium per tablespoon and I take 2 tablespoons.

During the portion of the month where I feel semi-normal and anxiety isn't ruling my life, the magnesium is enough to ensure that I get a solid night's sleep. The rest of the month, right around my period, I take a clonanzepam (same as Klonapin) to get to sleep.

Old 02-06-2006, 09:47 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User

That's a good questions about whether to take all at once. I've always heard that with calcium, your body can only absorb so much at once, so I've always split my dosage between morning and night (I usually take between 1,000 and 1,200 mg per day). My gyno recommended between 400-500 of magnesium. I take one pill with 400mg at night and then during the day my multi-vitamin has 25mg, so I get a little more.

Wizard: A while back my GP gave me a prescrip for clonazapam also, which I've just sort of put away and haven't used. I was a basket case at the time, so didn't really understand how to use it. If I remember she said it helps with sleep AND anxiety rather than just sleep (like Ambien, which is what she had given me before, but didn't wan't me to keep taking). I'm like you, most of the time I sleep okay except for a few nights before my period. Do you just take the clonazapam one or two nights?

Anyway, I just moved to another state, so have to find a new Dr. to explainn all my peri woes to!

Old 02-06-2006, 11:48 AM   #14
(female)

laineyk HB User

clonozapan is the generic for klonopin which is what I take. It is a benzo which is a tranqulizer of sorts. It is used for anxiety and will calm you so you are able to sleep, makes you drowsy at higher doses. Its not intended for long term use but there are many people who have been on it for years and years. I take 1/2 a 5mg pill every other day right now cuz my anxiety has been kind of rushing in since peri-meno...I was takint it everyday and am trying to wean off of it.

Old 02-06-2006, 05:03 PM   #15
(female)

Wizard HB User

Katydid:

I take the Clonanzepam for usually about 5 days of the month, all right around my period. I'm fine the rest of the month but during my period, I get every peri symptom in existence with the two worst being the anxiety (which causes tingling in my hands and feet) and the sleeplessness.

I'm taking a very low dosage, .25 mg and only just before bed. So far, I've had no problems just going off it during the remainder of the month.

I had previously taken Ativan but was super worried about the addictive qualities to it and then my doctor put my on Effexor but I had a severe reaction to it. The Clonanzepam seems to be working well for me but from what I've read, most people really have to test different anti-anxiety meds out to find the one that works best for them.

Jo

Closed Thread