It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2006, 11:31 PM   #1
(male)

canadave HB User
how long for HRT to take effect?

Hi all,

My wife just started HRT yesterday...a three-month course of estrogen pills to start (I'm not sure of the exact dosage offhand). She was experiencing menopausal symptoms like insomnia, hot flashes, vaginal dryness, etc., and we're hoping the HRT will help.

We forgot to ask the doctor, so I was hoping someone here would know the answer--in general, about how long might we expect it to be before she sees some effect (read: improvement) in her symptoms as a result of the HRT? Two days, a week, a month, or more?

Thanks very much,
Dave

Last edited by canadave; 02-07-2006 at 11:33 PM.

Old 02-08-2006, 01:17 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

chillijava HB User
Re: how long for HRT to take effect?

hi dave
i have been on hrt for 8 weeks, some of my symptoms are better but i still dont feel a hundred percent.
i believe it can take 3 months for the full effect, but i presume everyone is different.
i am going back to my doc tomorrow, so i will ask the question and post back here.
hope this helps

andrea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2006, 05:05 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Everyone is different. When I was in peri, they changed my BC pills and in two weeks every symptom was gone. I'm now on HRT (Femhrt) and the symptoms seem to come and go in a mild form periodcially...but not to the point I can't handle them. We did change my HRT last summer but it messed up my contact lenses so I went back to
the Femhrt....took 4 months to straighten out my eye problem after that.

Old 02-08-2006, 07:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

I C Hot HB User

Hi canadave,

I have been on HRT since about Oct. I started on lower dose and after a couple weeks didn't see improvment so I called the doctor and they raised the dose. Within a couple weeks of that I had seen lots of improvement. Mainly with the hot flashes and night sweats. I would recommend for her to take fish oil pills (Omega 3) also. I take fish, flax, and borage combo. and follow the instructions on the bottle, (i take 2-3 a day) I saw great improvement with the sleeping, depression, anxiety and panic attacks. Magnesium is also helpful for sleeping, taken shortly before bedtime. Tell her that this is a great board for asking questions and being able to vent a bit. These women here have been sooooooo helpful.
Blessing for her. Julie

Old 02-08-2006, 09:17 AM   #5
(male)

canadave HB User

Thanks everybody for sharing your experiences and for the friendly welcome

I just pointed my wife toward this board, and she's thrilled to have a chance to read not only your responses to my question, but also other posts throughout. She may post back here from time to time using my userid if she has further questions.

Thanks again, you've all been most helpful!
Dave

Old 02-08-2006, 02:17 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I C Hot HB User

Hi, I hope she does check in here and ask anything she would like to. If nothing else, she will no for sure that she is not alone in this phase of life. We are here to support each other.
Julie

Old 02-09-2006, 07:37 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

chillijava HB User

hi canadave
just to let you know i have been to my doc today, she told me it can take 3-4 months for the full effect, however she has just upped my dose to see if all the symptoms can be relieved.

Closed Thread