It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2006, 08:03 PM   #1
(female)

evelyn1 HB User
bleeding every two weeks, age 47, ultrasound shows healthy uterus & ovaries

I'm 47. For awhile I had periods every 5-6 weeks. Recently I've been bleeding every 2 weeks. Tuesday I had an ultrasound. The doctor (my gyn) showed me that the lining of uterus is healthy, and he said I was getting ready to ovulate from one ovary and had a follicle on the other one. Well, yesterday, the day after the ultrasound, I started cramping and spotting again. So what does this mean? am I having anovulatory cycles? Did the ultrasound cause me to bleed? I don't really have much else in the way of perimenopausal symptoms. I had an ultrasound 2 years ago with same results. I do have a very tiny fibroid, but he said its location should not really be causing cramping or bleeding. I have never been pregnant.

Old 02-09-2006, 11:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabat40 HB User
Re: bleeding every two weeks, age 47, ultrasound shows healthy uterus & ovaries

My doctor did the same thing to me too and still denied that I was going through peri-menopause. I'm 41 and I started noticing the symptoms about 1 year ago. My obgyn put me on birth control, light ones and they regulated my cycle. I took myself off the pill for now to see if my cycle would be normal without it. It worked, but I've noticed that I'd start ovulating about 1 or 2 days after my cycle. I also have extremely, painful cramping right before my cycle.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2006, 01:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MommaBee HB User

At 47 you are probably in perimenopause. Irregular bleeding is part of the course. It would be a good idea to start doing some research on the subject, as it will help you understand what your body is doing and why. There are many sites out there with very updated information and can be very helpful. Don't worry, you are not alone and it is just part of the process of your ovaries shutting off the production of hormones. I am 49 and have been going through peri for over 6 years now. I call it a roller coaster ride because of all the ups and downs that happen.

Old 02-10-2006, 09:54 AM   #4
(female)

evelyn1 HB User

I've read a lot and know that irregular bleeding is par for the course, I just wondered why he would think I was ready to ovulate and then I start bleeding the next day. Thanks for the tips.

Old 02-10-2006, 09:56 AM   #5
(female)

evelyn1 HB User

Fabat 40

which bcp did you take? I've done a lot of research over last few years about going back on birth control pills, but I'm leary because I have mild hypertension.

Old 02-10-2006, 09:58 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

I'm 46 and the same thing happened to me a couple years ago, and it ended up being due to stress I was going thru at the time.
after about 4-5 months it straightened itself out.
people were telling me it's pre-menopause too, and I just wasn't willing to believe that, and it turned out I was right.

Old 02-12-2006, 08:08 AM   #7
(female)

evelyn1 HB User

rosequartz

that is interesting about the stress. I do have a lot going on, and I was sick with a respiratory thing for a couple of weeks in January. Doctor said maybe whooping cough, and I had to take antiobiotics. This happened once about 2 years ago. But, my periods have been getting more irregular. Used to be 28 day cycle, then they got shorter, then further apart, and now I've had 4 periods in 2 months. So I'm just not sure.

Has anyone here ever tried Oona products? Herbals for PMS and menopausal symptoms?

Closed Thread