It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2006, 04:52 PM   #1
(female)

lauralu2000 HB User
What symptoms come first?

Hi ladies..just wondering if anyone has had the anxiety and aches and pains,night sweats ect as their first symptoms? Or is it always period related?

I have been having so much trouble with anxiety over the last few months. I have dizzy spells and nausia trouble. Lots of brain fog as well. Now I have woken up in the last 3 nights wet from sweat. My clothes and sheets are wet my hair is wet.

I have aches and pains everywhere it seems. Muscle twitches,muscle spams,tight muscles,headaches,PMS that sometimes is so bad that I have to remind myself that it is just that.... PMS.... and it will go away when my period starts.

Wierd thing though is that as far as my period goes. It has been amazingly on time for the last 6 months. I am talking to the day. This has never happened to me. I am usually anywhere from 28 to 38 days. So being on time for once in my life seems very wierd to me. It has only been lasting for 3 to 4 days if that. Sometimes it is very light. Other times it is very heavy and clotty and extremely painfull. But than just quits...

I have been under alot of stress these days so it could be that. ..but I am just wondering if any of you ladies out there could offer me any insight. I guess I just assumed my first symptoms would start with wierd periods not the other stuff.

Opps forgot to say I am 42 if that helps..

thanks all

Last edited by lauralu2000; 02-14-2006 at 04:54 PM. Reason: added info

Old 02-14-2006, 05:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User
Re: What symptoms come first?

HI Lauralu,
I remember getting night sweats just before my period when I was about 34. Happened every month. And my periods were always at 28-32 day cycles, never skipped one since I was 13! It was later that the anxiety showed up BIG TIME, with night sweats every night. Then the periods started to go all over the place. LAte, early, light, heavy, just spotting. But the nightweats were the worst. Although anxiety was a crusher too!
Have you had your hormone levels checked yet? May be worth a trip to the gyno to find out where you're at right now. And just to be sure nothing else is gong on, like thyroid problems.
If you're into the perimenopause stage, your gyno can suggest some things to help with the symptoms.
ANd welcome to the Boards.
Hellas

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2006, 06:49 PM   #3
(female)

Wizard HB User

Hi:

I think that everyone is a bit different and get different symptoms at different times. Boy...what a lot of differents.

Both my sister and I started with immediately getting lighter periods at the same time that we developed anxiety, tingling/numbness in our hands and feet, nausea, dizziness and exhaustion. We developed it at different ages though. She developed the first symptoms at an age 5 years younger than where it all began for me. I seem to be following more along the same lines as my mother who started with symptoms in her mid 40's and had her last period at 52.

I haven't developed any hot flushes yet. I'm guessing that will happen when my period actually stops. That's when it happened for my sister. She's only getting a period once every 5-6 months now and in between, she is plagued with hot flushes.

Old 02-14-2006, 07:56 PM   #4
(female)

sm621776 HB User

anxiety and and feel nauseous sometimes. The only thing that seems to help is eating something carby like bread, crackers or usually I just chew mint gum. No sweats yet. NOT looking forward to that especially if it happens to me at work. "HEY EVERYBODY LOOK IM HAVING A HOT FLASH!"

quote: ...Muscle twitches,muscle spams,....."

Are the twitches in your hands or rather fingers? Mine sometimes are and its scary. Makes me think Im coming down w/parkinsons.

Im 43, just missed my last period and am freaked out about this since Im usually pretty regular. Im feeling tired but not sure if its actual first premen symtoms or Im just slightly depressed now that Im going through this and its affecting my energy levels. I notice the panic attack s or rather reallyI feel like its the Start of an attack, seem to happen mid to late morning then usually drop off. Trying to slowly wean myself off caffeinated coffee as this seems to trigger or make the attack worse . Its more a feeling of a possible panic or anxiety attack not really happening at the moment.

Old 02-19-2006, 06:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

My initial symptoms were irregular periods, gushing periods, bodyaches, bladder infections, and horrible pms that consisted mainly of mood swings. When thing became severe the first symptom to appear was the dizziness which later lead to panic attacks then depression. After 4 years thing are now beginning to improve.

Closed Thread