It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2006, 07:57 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

jayer HB User
Nausea and Menopause

Anybody contribute nausea to peri-menopause??

I am 45 and have been experiencing frequent nausea, sometimes severe with vomiting. Actually this has been going on for 5-6 years?? I do have acid reflux and take aciphex.

But now I am wondering if it is related to perimenopause?? Most of the time it is mild nausea that is uncomfortable, but about every other month or so it gets severe and knocks me off my feet, the chills, weakness, actual vomiting, truly can't function.

For the first time I have missed my period (not pregnant, hubby has vasectomy) and maybe I have been going through the peri for years now and didn't know it. I have alot of other typical symptoms but not hot flashes but the other symptoms are so general, could be just general aging stuff.

My doc has never suggested menopause.

Joyce Mayer

Old 03-28-2006, 05:41 AM   #2
(female)

Mistyeyze HB User
Re: Nausea and Menopause

I get the nausea too. At first I didn't know what was wrong with me, but I've since learned, it is common in peri. Why, I don't know.... but it is.

I keep nutrition shakes around for when I just don't feel like eating. They go down pretty easy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2006, 06:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User

I too had alot of problem with nausea, but thankfully now that I am "in" menopause, I hardly ever get it. I never threw up with it, but sure felt like it!

I read somewhere that the reason for the nausea it much like when a woman is pregnant. You are having changes in your hormones, and it can cause this. Makes sense, doesn't it? I feel for you, because the nausea is just awful!

Old 03-28-2006, 12:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

I had a hysterectomy in January and I have noticed I am a little nauseous every day. The explanation about changing hormones does make sense. Hope it goes away soon.

Old 03-29-2006, 07:09 AM   #5
(female)

Les44 HB User

I too had the nausea. Wow is it annoying. I found it crept up in the most unusual circumstances. Now I keep a bottle of ginger tabs in my purse. It's one of the only herbal remedies, other than vitamins, that I've found really works well! The nausea does seem to come in phases. I haven't had it now for nearly 3 months. So just enjoy it when it's gone and pray it doesn't return for a very long time.
Hope you're feeling better soon.

Les

Old 03-29-2006, 07:45 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I agree, I think it comes in phases too, which also supports the theory that it is due to hormonal changes or fluctuations. I have also heard the Ginger tabs work. I bought some Ginger tea, but haven't been nauseated since I got it, to see if it works. Maybe is it SO powerful, just buying it helped! lol

Old 03-30-2006, 09:40 AM   #7
(female)

Wizard HB User

I have had problems with nausea. Often, I feel much like I did when I was pregnant....constantly nauseated but not quite enough to throw up. I'm guessing that just like pregnancy, the hormones are all out of whack and cause the problems.

Old 04-07-2006, 11:07 AM   #8
(female)

smvdelv HB User

Nausea has been one of the worst symptoms for me, and I have had "episodes" for years - long before I thought of perimenopause. It is a feeling exactly like morning sickness, in my case - like I could vomit, but I need to eat at the same time. Literally, one minute something can sound good, and the next the thought makes me even sicker. Just today, I have felt this way. Off and on nauseous, then I decided I wanted tuna fish. Made the sandwich, ate it with chips and pickles, it was great, and now I feel both nauseous and hungry again. It's like as long as I am eating something I am okay. I have had bouts of this for probably 10 years, and have had so many tests it isn't even funny!!!!

Old 04-07-2006, 11:50 AM   #9
(female)

jeth HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smvdelv
Nausea has been one of the worst symptoms for me, and I have had "episodes" for years - long before I thought of perimenopause. It is a feeling exactly like morning sickness, in my case - like I could vomit, but I need to eat at the same time. Literally, one minute something can sound good, and the next the thought makes me even sicker. Just today, I have felt this way. Off and on nauseous, then I decided I wanted tuna fish. Made the sandwich, ate it with chips and pickles, it was great, and now I feel both nauseous and hungry again. It's like as long as I am eating something I am okay. I have had bouts of this for probably 10 years, and have had so many tests it isn't even funny!!!!
Well I don`t really have a problem with nausea although I am menopausal.
I do get acid reflux occasionally.
What you might try is taking two or three tums and if that doesn`t do it, then drink a coke.

Old 04-13-2006, 05:21 AM   #10
(female)

LINSCYCLIST HB User

I have been having weird symptoms for about 8 months now which I feel could be perimenopausal. dizziness, forgetting words in the middle of sentences, strange vibrations throughout my body, fatigue, acute anxiety etc but only during the last two months have I started to get the nausea - mainly in conjunction with my cycle. I had 6 days of nausea during my last cycle, some days worse than others and generally worse in the morning and early afternoon and tailing off in the evening and during the night (a bit like morning sickness I imagine although I have never been pregnant). This last cycle - I was really tired three days before and then started to feel sick as well when it began. This, along with the fatigue was awful. You don't know what to do with yourself!!!! and I find myself constantly worrying what's wrong. I am now into day 7 and although the bleeding has stopped and the fatigue has lessened a bit I still feel woozy and nauseous. It really is very unpleasant. Its an effort to get anything done.

How long and how often do you all suffer from this?

I am trying the ginger remedy. Hope it works. I keep hoping I am going to feel better soon.

This kind of sickness reminds me of when i had a really bad allergy 10 years ago and my body reacted pretty badly. I guess our bodies react in so many different waysd to all those changing hormones, and chemicals swirling around.

Its so good to have this support group to compare experiences with. I think it really helps.

thanks
Linda

Old 04-13-2006, 02:12 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User

A couple of months ago I noticed having a little nausea also for the first time, added to my long list. I'd redone my saliva testing about a month ago and found out my estrogen and progesterone were high (so had my hormones adjusted) and now a month later the nausea has gone away (I was getting almost daily). I agree with others that hormones can definitely cause this. Although I never vomited. My mom tells me when she was pregnant, she vomited all the way through pregnancy. I didn't have children. I think it just affects us all in different ways.

Old 04-14-2006, 08:19 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User

Hi,
Where are you ladies buying the ginger candy at? I have looked at a few places, Walgreens, Wal-mart and haven't seen it. Do I need to go to a health food store? This nausea out of the blue is getting old. Thanks, Ann

Old 04-14-2006, 08:54 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ann,
You may only be able to buy it at health food stores. I bought some ginger tea, but I haven't tried it yet. I quit having the nausea after I bought it.

Closed Thread