It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2006, 06:07 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

viktik HB User
Does your appetite fluctuate, or are you always hungry?

Hi everyone,

I eat whole grain cereal every morning during the week because I need the energy for work. By lunchtime, I am usually starved. However, in the evening, after I have exercised, I have very little appetite for dinner. I am single, so I don't really cook, and I just eat something light, but it is only because I need to eat, not because I am hungry. With all of the peri symptoms to deal with each day, and some of them being stomach issues, I can kind of understand why my appetite wouldn't always be "tip top."

How about you? Is your appetite always good, or sometimes good...

Thanks ladies--I always appreciate your input, and hope you all have a good Friday!

Lynn

Old 03-31-2006, 10:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User
Re: Does your appetite fluctuate, or are you always hungry?

I don't know if this will help you or not, but when I went on a low-calorie/low-fat diet about 5 years ago (lost 45 lbs.), I realized that if I ate protein for breakfast, that I would stay satisfied for much, much longer than if I only ate carbs for breakfast. Protein takes much longer to digest, therefore, keeps you feeling full longer. A typical breakfast for me was a fried egg on whole grain toast, or tofu slices on toast (with a little jam or parmesan for flavor). It really worked, because I was/am a carboholic. Also, I took fiber supplements along with eating whole grains, they help you feel full longer too. I ate three meals and had two snacks and stayed around 1200 calories per day (challenging, but possible). You didn't mention that you are on a diet, but I know how important it is to eat on a regular basis. I think it might help improve your evening appetite, if you are not so starving at lunch.

Last edited by SRMom; 03-31-2006 at 10:16 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2006, 11:13 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User

I agree with SRmom, you need to add protein to your breakfast. I was a carb addict for years. I read a book a couple of years ago "What your Doctor never told you about perimenopause" in which they address diet. I realized I needed more protein (I only eat fish, chicken and dairy - no meat), so I had a lot of days where I would consume mostly or only carbs. I was hungry a lot and had low energy by the end of the day.

If you don't have time for an egg(s) in the morning (I will sometimes boil the night before), try to find a cereal that is protein fortified.

Old 03-31-2006, 12:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User

I agree with the eating more protein for breakfast, and it keeping you satisfied much longer than eating a carb breakfast. I used to eat a bagle, or cereal with milk and it wore off rather quickly. A couple of months ago, I decided to try my old childhood favorite - peanutbutter toast. I got the 7 grain bread and toasted it and put a tablespoon of chunky peanut butter on it. Since the toast is warm, it kind of melts the peanutbutter. Wow - I am hooked on it again, lol. But - the nutritional value of this combo is great, and it does keep me satisfied until about 11:00 (I eat at 7:30) and I eat a very small snack to tie me over till lunch. Then I drink Slimfast and eat a regular dinner. If I have lunch - then I do Slimfast for dinner.

During peri, I had picked up a few lbs and they just wouldn't budge! But, since starting to eat this, and more wholegrains (I even buy wholegrain spaghetti), I have been able to lose the weight finally!!

If you eat a decent lunch, then you could get by with a smaller healthy snack or meal and still be ok.

Old 03-31-2006, 06:43 PM   #5
(female)

Wizard HB User

My appetite has greatly changed. A year ago, I could have snacked all day. I was always hungry. Since all the peri symptoms have started, I am seldom really hungry. Like you, I eat a good whole grain cereal for breakfast. Lunch is something I have to remind myself about and I'm never hungry for dinner. If I didn't have to feed the kids, I'd probably forget most meals.

I've been making myself eat because I can't afford the weight loss. This sure is a big pain though.

Old 04-01-2006, 06:31 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

viktik HB User

Hi Wizard,

You are just like me--I eat to try to gain weight. Not being hungry at night is not a good thing, because I need to eat. Once in a while, though, I feel a little hungry. Last night was one of those nights, so I had a turkey sandwhich on whole wheat bread and a banana. I was grateful for the appetite! The peri symptoms are quite severe for me too, and I know I need good nutrition, so each day is quite a challenge--for you too, I'll bet!

Hang in there! My sister-in-law's doctor said she may be on this journey for 10 years--help!!

Have a good Saturday!

Lynn

Old 04-03-2006, 07:27 PM   #7
(female)

joyka HB User

I think I would add some protein to the breakfast and a small snack between breakfast and lunch (take it to work....don't use a vending machine!) There is nothing wrong at all to following the natural rhythm of your body (eating light in the evening). Just eat as healthy as you can and always learn as much as you can about nutrition and healthy foods.

Closed Thread