It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2006, 06:35 AM   #1
(female)

LINSCYCLIST HB User
irregular periods/exhaustion and nausea - could it be perimenopause?

I am getting quite worried about how I feel a week before my periods and during.

I am 40 years of age and for the last few months I have been noticing I have not been feeling my normal self both a few days before and during my period. About 3 to 5 days before I start my period to feel absolutely totally exhausted and a bit dizzy which gets worse as I approach my period. this continues throughout most of my period and I am also feeling sick with loss of appetite. I am normally quite regular in my cycles but the last period was thin and scanty and I felt tired exhausted throughout. It stopped and then came on again 5 days later but very faintly. For the next two and a half weeks I went on holiday to Turkey and felt absolutely wonderful - lots of energy and I did alot of walking and my appetite was fine. I had a night flight back and I started to feel exhausted for about 4 days which I put down to jet lag. My period then started and I had bad cramps, nausea and total exhaustion. (I am into day 2 at the moment and I feel so tired and really not well in my self). I have also been having some symptoms of irritable bowel around my period as well - diahorrea/constipation and some flatulence and bloating. I am usually a good sleeper but I am getting insomnia and some heart fluttering in bed at night.

so with irregular periods/ extreme tiredness (coupled with not being able to sleep), feeling unwell and bowel upsets around about my period - could this be the start of perimenopause. my mum and her twin had their menopause at 39 and I started periods at the same age(at about 16). Do we often follow the patterns of our mothers.

I never experienced such crippling tiredness (and insomnia) and feeling of unwellness during periods before. Can anyone help please as I am starting to feel desperate. I am going to the docs on Monday to check it all out but would appreciate any advice on this. It really is awful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2006, 10:30 PM   #2
(female)

Wizard HB User
Re: irregular periods/exhaustion and nausea - could it be perimenopause?

Hi:

I've commented here before that my feelings of exhaustion, lack of energy, annxiousness, depleted appetite all seem to be centered right around my period.

I start feeling extremely tired about 2-3 days before my period and then whe it starts, I lose my appetite. I feel anxious, tired and lacklustre from days 3-11 and then the remainder of the month, I go back to feeling pretty normal, feel energized again and get my regular appetite back.

My periods, although fairly regular, have become quite light and scanty as well. I find it helps if I take a B supplement, flax seed oil, magnesium, and Omega 369 during that part of my cycle.

Jo

Old 04-09-2006, 04:12 AM   #3
(female)

LINSCYCLIST HB User

thanks for the reply Jo. It really helps to know I are not the only one feeling these symptoms. You feel as if you are the only one and get so worried, particularly when you are normally so energised. The last few days have been some of the worst. I never felt so tired, sick (no appetite) and in a mind fog. I am still feeling pretty awful but am looking forward to the end of my period. I will see the doc tomorrow to check hormone levels and I will definitely go and get the flaxseed oil. I was on this before and it seemed to be quite beneficial.

Incidentally - how old are you? Have you always had these symptoms during menstruation or did it get worse as you got older,

thanks again for your support Jo

regards
Linda

Old 04-09-2006, 08:04 PM   #4
(female)

Wizard HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINSCYCLIST

Incidentally - how old are you? Have you always had these symptoms during menstruation or did it get worse as you got older,

thanks again for your support Jo

regards
Linda
Hi Linda:

I'm 45 and these symptoms have only started appearing in the last 6 months since my periods suddenly became so light and scanty. In the past, I was always so full of boundless energy. It's almost scary to suddenly be so tired all the time. The only symptoms I previously had with my period was that the day I got it, I would get tired about 2 hours before it started and then I would get all my normal energy back. Now, I go through nearly two weeks of feeling utterly exhausted. Right now, I'm on cycle day 19 and have to say that I feel my normal self. As I get towards cycle day 27, I'll suddenly get really exhausted, anxious, headachy, tingly in the hands and feet, etc and the next two weeks will be he**.

I have to admit, that I dread facing several more years of this.

Jo

Old 04-10-2006, 11:57 AM   #5
(female)

LINSCYCLIST HB User

Dear Jo (and anyone else going through these appalling symptoms)

I really feel for you going through this awful tiredness. Its hard to explain to other women who haven't experienced this just how incredibly awful this is. Like you say - it is like living in he** - particularly when we are used to being so active. I love cycling and walking but the thought of them right now makes me feel even more exhausted. And the brain fog......... I have been trying to learn another language - but that has had to go on hold.

I work part time doing admin in my partners business. Thank god - I don't think I could function in any other job right now,. Do you work Jo? If so - how do you get through the day?

I can completely relate to your feelings of anxiety too. Because I am feeling so tired and unwell I keep having these incredible feelings of panic that all of this cannot just be hormones and that there must be something more serious underlying it all. (ie bowel cancer because of the backache and gastro upsets) I think it is the incredible fatigue and feeling of unwellness (nausea) that is causing this acute anxiety plus the hormones are probably causing it as well. I cried in front of the doctor this morning (who has referred me for various blood tests) and felt such an idiot as I am normally quite a level headed person. My long suffering but very kind partner keeps rationalising with my that it is probably not anything serious as why did I feel so energised on my holiday for 2 and a half weeks but got sick again during my period. I know he's probably right and I feel calm for a while and then the anxiety hits again!! Bye bye rational woman for the moment.

Do you also find that the stomach cramps and backaches can get quite bad for a time also. I keep getting muscular pain on one side in my low back - made much worse during my period too. I think this could also be a sign of perimenopause.

Its day 4 of my period and whilst the mind fog has lifted a little I still feel exhausted and completely out of sorts. Great being a woman sometimes!!!

regards
Linda

p.x I bought all those supplements you recommended today - lets hope they start to work soon

Old 04-10-2006, 11:58 AM   #6
(female)

LINSCYCLIST HB User

Dear Jo (and anyone else going through these appalling symptoms)

I really feel for you going through this awful tiredness. Its hard to explain to other women who haven't experienced this just how incredibly awful this is. Like you say - it is like living in he** - particularly when we are used to being so active. I love cycling and walking but the thought of them right now makes me feel even more exhausted. And the brain fog......... I have been trying to learn another language - but that has had to go on hold.

I work part time doing admin in my partners business. Thank god - I don't think I could function in any other job right now,. Do you work Jo? If so - how do you get through the day?

I can completely relate to your feelings of anxiety too. Because I am feeling so tired and unwell I keep having these incredible feelings of panic that all of this cannot just be hormones and that there must be something more serious underlying it all. (ie bowel cancer because of the backache and gastro upsets) I think it is the incredible fatigue and feeling of unwellness (nausea) that is causing this acute anxiety plus the hormones are probably causing it as well. I cried in front of the doctor this morning (who has referred me for various blood tests) and felt such an idiot as I am normally quite a level headed person. My long suffering but very kind partner keeps rationalising with my that it is probably not anything serious as why did I feel so energised on my holiday for 2 and a half weeks but got sick again during my period. I know he's probably right and I feel calm for a while and then the anxiety hits again!! Bye bye rational woman for the moment.

Do you also find that the stomach cramps and backaches can get quite bad for a time also. I keep getting muscular pain on one side in my low back - made much worse during my period too. I think this could also be a sign of perimenopause.

Its day 4 of my period and whilst the mind fog has lifted a little I still feel exhausted and completely out of sorts. Great being a woman sometimes!!!

regards
Linda

p.x I bought all those supplements you recommended today - lets hope they start to work soon

Old 04-10-2006, 03:58 PM   #7
(female)

Wizard HB User

Hi Linda:

If it's any consolation, I went through a terrible time a few months ago where the anxiety got so bad that I imagined I had every disease in existence. I'd read an article on MS or ALS or heart disease and I would believe that every symptom I had matched up. My doctor put me through more testing than you can imagine and guess what.....I'm totally healthy. I'm now able to rationalize things when I feel lousy and can talk myself into understanding that it's the hormones causing the problems. I find that now that I understand that it's hormones, I no longer feel the need to use an anti-anxiety med to get through.

I don't work, but I am a mom to two young kids, 11 yrs old and 4 yrs old. There's nothing quite like plodding through all their various sports, school and extra curricular activities while you feel like you can barely lift your head off the pillow. My days are filled with soccer, hockey, skating, pre-school, library class, baseball, swimmining, tot sports and some days, it's all I can do to stay awake. I had planned to go back to work when my youngest enters kindergarten next year but think I'll just take it one day at a time.

I do get back and neck aches that can be quite bad. I make sure that I do a full set of stretches each day to try to keep myself limber. What fun (not) this time of life is.

Jo

Old 04-10-2006, 04:34 PM   #8
(female)

Mistyeyze HB User

OMG Jo an 11 and 4 year old!! All the time?!! (I have steps that visit)... I would be a nut case. I give you soooo much credit! Look at it this way, the exercise alone is probably keeping you in shape. Hats off to you

Last edited by Mistyeyze; 04-10-2006 at 04:34 PM.

Old 04-11-2006, 02:10 PM   #9
(female)

LINSCYCLIST HB User

I totally agree with that. I think Jo is amazing to cope with two young children despite feeling so lacking in energy. I don't have any kids and since xmas I have chosen to work in my partner's picture framing business (helping out with his admin) as i was getting so tired and having strange dizzy spells and anxiety attacks (nothing showed up on Mri brain scan) working at a computer all day at work. I was finding that my eye muscles were becoming excrutiatingly tired sitting in front of a computer 8 hours a day and I was getting some pretty wierd sensations (like ants crawling under my skin) down my spine and in my extremities. I was interested to read that these can be some of the signs of perimenopause. The fatigue has only really kicked in the last 2 and a half months and I hope it doesn't last so long. It is life altering for sure!!!!

right now it is enough to take care of myself and cook meals for me and my partner. I am full of admiration for those women out there coping with all those family commitments. I am a big traveller but I am now realising I will have to plan my trips very carefully on the calendar so as not to be away during a bad spell.

I am now into day 5 of my cycle and I am hoping I start to feel more engergised in a few days as the fatigue is driving me crazy and yet I can't sleep!!

can anyone suggest any good sleep remedies?

regards
Linda

Old 04-12-2006, 12:19 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User

LINCYCLIST:
I definitely think you are experiencing perimenopause symptoms. From what my doctor told me, our hormones drop during the last part of our cycle. That's why so many of us feel horrible right before and during our periods. For years, I'd just feel like I'd come down with a bug almost. Just tired and "pooky" as I would tell my husband.

I've been using bioidentical hormones for about 8-9 months, which I think has helped me even things out. I don't get as much insomnia as I used to, but it can flare up right before my period. I've been taking Valerian (900mg) for a while and I do think they help make me sleepy. Although I don't think they do much good for keeping me asleep. It might be worth a try. Beware - the ones I bought have a yucky smell. I hold my breath when I take them!

Old 04-13-2006, 12:25 PM   #11
(female)

Wizard HB User

I can suggest two options to help you sleep.

One is Melatonin. It's a natural sleep aid although you have to be patient. It can take several days to become effective.

Another is a couple of tablets of magnesium half an hour before bed. It relaxes you muscles which allows you to drift off a lot easier.

Jo

Old 04-14-2006, 08:06 AM   #12
(female)

LINSCYCLIST HB User

thanks for that jo - I will give it a try.

I am always so used to being a good sleep (8 hours or more). I think this fatigue thing must be about the worst thing I ever had. I am, like you seeming to be tired for most of the time now. I am in day 9 of my cycle and still feeling exhausted and I felt awful 3 days before (having a night flight back from holidays didn't help). I keep wondering when i will start feeling energised again.

When you talked about your tiredness - did you mean you are only getting about a week and a half of feeling energised? I think that's me at the moment. How could I feel so wonderful just 2 weeks ago and now I feel so awful!!! It does make you feel anxious doesn't it. I am even avoiding phone calls to friends as I just feel so tired,

its sunny today and I have been sittting in the garden and the sun does help a bit.

blood tests back next week - can't help feeling anxious about them - but then anxiety is all part of the deal isn't it?

can you concentrate on interest/reading etc when you are feeling like this?

Old 04-15-2006, 07:37 PM   #13
(female)

Wizard HB User

Linda:

The anxiety is a big part of it and for me, the anxiety is at it's worst when the hormones really drop. I am slowly learning to micromanage the anxiety and that helps. At least I no longer think I'm dying each time I get a headache, sneeze or sniffle. Seriously, there were times last year when I thought I had everything from bone cancer to ALS.

I am at the point where I only feel really good for maybe a maximum of 2 wks a month. Now that sucks. I'm hoping that it's a phase that will slowly fade. My sister started into perimenopause about 4 years ago and I remember the stage where she was tired all the time. I just couldn't figure out why she was always taking an nap. Boy, do I understand now. She past that now and has her regular energy levels back so I have to believe that we'll get to that stage as well. It's just superhard when you've always had boundless energy.

I do find that I can't concentrate well during the two rough weeks of the month but for the remainder, I can read a book, get jobs done around the house. It's so strange to be like this.

Biggest bummer,,,,I'm on cycle day 24 right now. I figure I have a day, maybe two of feeling normal and then I'm back on the exhaustion cycle.

Jo

Last edited by Wizard; 04-15-2006 at 07:39 PM.

Old 04-16-2006, 11:15 AM   #14

Catbird HB User
Thumbs up

I have been going through these same symptons for about 5 years; and I'm going to be 52 this year!!! WHEN DOES IT END!! I HOPE SOON! I too, felt when all of these symptoms started that something had to be wrong with me. I was JUST too tired and exhausted and my periods were so heavy in the beginning....I was sure that I had some major female problem, other than Perimenopause!!!

I also am exhausted for at least 2 to 3 days before my period, though it is never on time, feel nauseated, and in general, feel so run down during the entire cycle time. About every other month I get these HORRIBLE headaches.

Sometimes my periods start out very heavy and that last for 2 to 3 days, but, lately, I've started with the first day being extremely heavy and then it seems to taper off to nothing on day 3. COULD THIS BE THE BEGINNING OF THE END????

I too figure that I have ABOUT perhaps 2 good weeks out of every month that I feel like I am my normal self full of energy.

I have YET to miss one single MONTH...and I'm oh SO looking forward to the day when I can say I've missed 12!

Old 04-16-2006, 06:13 PM   #15
(female)

LynninCalif47 HB User

Hi, I am new here and I live in the USA. I just came upon this site and I cant believe you are going through exactly what I am. I am 47 years old and for several years, a week before my period I feel like I am loosing my mind, severe brain fog,IBS bouts,crying all the time, no energy, I feel like I am actually going to die as well. It is the worst thing I have ever gone through, and yes it is periomenopausal symptoms. Very scarry. I hope you will reply to my post. I really feel scarred right now. I have been in bed fro 5 days now with horrible dizziness. Couldnt even go see my mom for Easter today. Linda I am getting quite worried about how I feel a week before my periods and during.

I am 40 years of age and for the last few months I have been noticing I have not been feeling my normal self both a few days before and during my period. About 3 to 5 days before I start my period to feel absolutely totally exhausted and a bit dizzy which gets worse as I approach my period. this continues throughout most of my period and I am also feeling sick with loss of appetite. I am normally quite regular in my cycles but the last period was thin and scanty and I felt tired exhausted throughout. It stopped and then came on again 5 days later but very faintly. For the next two and a half weeks I went on holiday to Turkey and felt absolutely wonderful - lots of energy and I did alot of walking and my appetite was fine. I had a night flight back and I started to feel exhausted for about 4 days which I put down to jet lag. My period then started and I had bad cramps, nausea and total exhaustion. (I am into day 2 at the moment and I feel so tired and really not well in my self). I have also been having some symptoms of irritable bowel around my period as well - diahorrea/constipation and some flatulence and bloating. I am usually a good sleeper but I am getting insomnia and some heart fluttering in bed at night.

so with irregular periods/ extreme tiredness (coupled with not being able to sleep), feeling unwell and bowel upsets around about my period - could this be the start of perimenopause. my mum and her twin had their menopause at 39 and I started periods at the same age(at about 16). Do we often follow the patterns of our mothers.

I never experienced such crippling tiredness (and insomnia) and feeling of unwellness during periods before. Can anyone help please as I am starting to feel desperate. I am going to the docs on Monday to check it all out but would appreciate any advice on this. It really is awful.[/QUOTE]

Closed Thread