It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2006, 04:36 AM   #1
(female)

LINSCYCLIST HB User
very useful chat with menopause nurse about symptoms of peri menopause yesterday

Hello again.

I have been posting quite regularly on this recently due to horrendous peri symptoms - fatigue, nausea, anxiety, irregular periods etc. yesterday I went for a bone density scan (which fortunately came out fine) as I have quite a bent spine.

The nurse who discussed my results with me mainly dealt with menopausal women. I confided in her how I had been feeling and that I was puzzled why some women got this crippling fatigue and anxiety etc whilst others seemed to get through it with not too much trauma.

she said that she felt the earlier a woman went into peri (although not always) the worse the symptoms seemed to be - almost like our bodies are not quite ready for it. I am 40 (same age as my mum had hers) and having a rough time and the nurse herself told me she was 38 when peri kicked in and it kicked in pretty bad for her. She said that literally one day she was fine and then suddenly the fatigue was immense round about her cycle and during every one, she had bad anxiety and depression (and had never suffered before) and the mind fogs were terrible. Her mother too had had early menopause. She was working at the time as a high dependency nurse and she admitted that she was struggling to do her job and had to take many days sick (poor lady!) She suffered like that until she was 43 as she didn't like the idea of hrt but in the end she went on Climatol (I think that was the name) and she says for the last 5 years she has been wonderful - like her old self. She said that her body had been suffering from the sudden drop in hormones.

I explained I wasn't keen on hrt but she says its all a question of how bad it gets - which I could relate to as my last cycle was horrendous. She said that she has talked to many many women whilst working in the field of menopause (during the last 5 years) and that the women who were having peri in their late 30's to mid 40's were having a hard time with the fatigue and mind fogs - like many of the ladies on this site. Not to say that women in their 50's don't have a hard time either but maybe their bodies have a little bit longer to adapt to the decrease in hormones - I really don't know.

My mum has 5 sisters - her and her twin had early meno at 40 and suffered alot whereas the other sisters had meno in their 50's and didn't have such a terrible time. I guess it depends on the woman also as well as the age.

It helped me to chat with the nurse - particularly as she had been through something similar and worked in the field.

Are there women out there who have gone on to HRT recently and what are their opinions of it?

thanks - sorry about the essay - just wanted to share that conversation to help anyone worried about why they are feeling tired etc
Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2006, 07:38 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User
Re: very useful chat with menopause nurse about symptoms of peri menopause yesterday

Hi Linda,
I started on BCP several months ago to control ovarian cysts and flooding long periods. The BCP helped the period problems right away. I don't think it did much for cysts, I still have ovarian pain on a regular basis. I stopped the BCP this month, and I am already bleeding again lightly. I will try to suffer thru it without anything. I didn't like the way I felt on the BCP. Very bloated, stomach trouble, headaches. Maybe I will still have these troubles without the pill, guess I will see. I just want this over and was worried the pill was delaying things. Good luck to all of us. Ann

Old 04-21-2006, 12:18 PM   #3
(female)

bbweckerley HB User
Re: very useful chat with menopause nurse about symptoms of peri menopause yesterday

Thanks for the info. I'm 45 and started having symptoms last year. My main problems have been increased depression/anxiety-I already suffer from clinical depression and are medicated for it, and terrible insomnia. I've tried various meds for the insomnia and some work for a few nights, and some don't work at all. It's been very frustrating. Was just put on Trazodone, but not sure I like how it makes me feel. It was mentioned in some postings in the past so am in the process of finding those or posting a new thread about it.

Old 04-22-2006, 03:43 AM   #4
(female)

Bilbobeth HB User

I am in the UK. can anyone tell me what tests exactly are done to find out if you are in the menopause please? Can a nurse do it at a local surgery or is it more complicated/?
Thanks

Old 04-22-2006, 05:58 AM   #5
(female)

LINSCYCLIST HB User

Hi Bilbobeth
I just went to the doc's here in Congleton Cheshire suspecting I might be on an early menopause like my mum - due to getting very exhausted during my cycle and just before. The doctor ordered the blood tests to determine levels of FSH - the hormone that stimulates the ovaries to produce eggs. If the levels are very high it can be indicative that we are starting menopause as the FSH increases when no eggs are being released - it is trying to stimulate the ovaries into action. They also test for LH - the luteinsing hormone that is produced at ovulation to. The other thing they test for is the gondotrophic hormones which send messages to the brain around this time and I think they can be elevated too.
its all quite complicated but it is these particular hormone levels they will look at.

I just phoned up for my results and whilst the blood count, thyroid and glucose are all ok -my doc needs to speak to me about the hormones - she suspects they indicate a menopausal state - as I suspected from all my many symptoms over the last 8 months

Where I live - the doc at the surgery writes out a slip for a blood test and I have it done at a nearby small hospital and then the results are sent to my doc. In other surgeries the nurse can do it probably.

hope that helps
regards
Linda

Last edited by LINSCYCLIST; 04-22-2006 at 06:00 AM.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:01 AM   #6
(female)

Mistyeyze HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbobeth
I am in the UK. can anyone tell me what tests exactly are done to find out if you are in the menopause please? Can a nurse do it at a local surgery or is it more complicated/?
Thanks
My doctor did a blood test for FSH levels, she said it was useless to check levels of other hormones because they fluctuate so much. My FSH was on the high side which indicates peri.
It was just a blood test, I would think any doctors office could do that for you.

Old 04-27-2006, 02:42 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

hi, i'm in the uk too. it is just a blood test but if it's the one the doctor wanted me to have, it has to be done on the first day of your period, and as we all know at this time of life it can take you by surprise. i was given the blood test sheet but due to a period starting on holiday, one starting on a saturday, etc., i never did get round to having it done. to be honest, unless there are special reasons to know if you're in menopause, or peri, i don't see it has much value. i think at our age we know it's either happening or about to happen and just needs to be got through. i do appreciate that some women do need to know though, and i am just speaking personally.

Old 04-27-2006, 04:32 AM   #8
(female)

Bilbobeth HB User

Can anyone ralate to this?

I am 46. My mother started her menopause at 44. I have the follwing symptoms.

Nausea on waking (like pregnancy sickeness) lasts most of day. Worst on waking but on and off sometimes all day.

Complete loss of apetite.

Sore vagina, recent thrush like symptoms.

Short of breath on exertion.

Dizziness and pounding ear sounds.

Headaches nearly every day.

No energy at all totally fatigued.

Increased anxiety.

Affected by loud noise and bright lights.

Mild depression.

Suddenly allergic to perfumed products especially.

I had an ablation and had the lining of my womb lasered away 5 years ago as I was over bleeding constantly. I havent had a period since so cant equate anything to my periods. I have also had an ovary and fallopian tube removed due to twisted fallopian tube when big cyst in ovary weighed it down.

I a going to ask for a test later today.

Thanks for reading.

Old 04-27-2006, 03:24 PM   #9
(female)

LINSCYCLIST HB User

Dear bilbo beth
much of what you describe there could be describing what I have been going through recently during my monthly cycle. Two days before my period, during and two days after (nearly 11 days in total) I wake up feeling sick, sometimes really bad. I have no appetite, crashing fatigue, mind fogs, dizziness and feeling disorientated, whooshing in my ears occasionally and sharp stabbing pains in the entrance of my vagina - probably due to dryness which comes and goes.

The last three periods have been like that since Feb so I am beginning to see a pattern. Before that - since about September I had the dizziness - so bad I quit work, mind blanks, anxiety attacks and internal trembling goes for no reason at all (there is no stress in my life), occasional breathless attacks and susceptibilty to any aerosol being sprayed. For the first few months I didn't equate it with menopause but I am two years older than when my mum stopped her periods completly.

the other thing I have is a feeling of ants crawling under my skin which is apparently quite common in peri. The fatigue and nausea are crippling. I am hoping this cycle I am ok (touch wood) as I have about 4 days to go!!! It sounds like what we are going through is experienced by quite a few women.

take care
best wishes
Linda

Closed Thread