It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2006, 03:11 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

oceandreams HB User
Depression & sadness...can menopause cause this?

Hi everyone, I'm 54, definitely going through menopause (or perimenopause?), but still having periods, irregularly. The last few months I have been experiencing depression with episodes of extreme sadness, hopelessness, and crying spells. I have had depression off and on for many years, but this sadness thing on such a regular basis is new. It is really overwhelming at times, I wonder how I'm going to be able to go on like this. I've tried some different antidpressants, but nothing has worked out for me so far (bad side effects).

Has anyone else experienced depression getting worse at this time? Would I benefit from HRT?

Old 04-30-2006, 05:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User
Re: Depression & sadness...can menopause cause this?

I experienced sadness and depression as I went through peri and menopause. It was similar to the PMS sadness that I used to experience.

I think that peri can increase these symptoms but also it is a time of our lives when we have to face other changes. Our appearance changes and we loose people that are close to us. Some of us can't do as much as we could when we were younger. Our children are grown and getting on with their own lives, etc. All of these changes can cause us some sadness.

It is a tough time but hopefully, there are other things out there that we can embrace and look forward to.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2006, 08:57 PM   #3
(female)

shell1 HB User

I have felt that sadness before. It's seemed like it went on forever but eventually I felt better. I had to take Birth Control pills to even out my hormones and Klonpin for anxiety. I also have restless leg so I took Elavil to help me sleep. The best thing I thing I did was started taking vitamins B-100, D, Selenium, folic acid, calcium and magnesseum and then a childrens multi vitamin. I know I sound like a walking medicine cabinet but I couldn't stand being miserable. I also try to have an attitude of gratitude and think about all the people that have it so much worse than I do. That helps me get out of myself. I will say a prayer for you.

Old 04-30-2006, 11:27 PM   #4
(female)

Wizard HB User

Hi:

I have been more depressed since peri started. I've found that flax seed oil, Omega 3-6-9, magnesium, B complex supplement and a multi-vitamin really help even out my moods. The flax seed oil in particular has been proven in recent research with MS patients facing severe depression to help lessen depression.

I was on Clonanzepam for a while but found that it left me too wiped out so I'm using only the supplements now and find they are really helping.

Old 05-01-2006, 07:38 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

oceandreams HB User

Thank you all for your responses. It makes me feel better just to hear your stories and have your support. I keep trying to remind myself that this is just a passing phase (I hope!).

I have started taking fish oil and flax oil, as well as B-complex, but still need to add a good multi vitamin. Any suggestions on a particular brand? I've read some references to vitamins that are formulated specifically for peri, but can't seem to find them. Is it best to take extra calcium/magnesium, in addition to what's already in the multi vitamin?

Old 05-01-2006, 01:27 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

oceandreams HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by twanger
I think that peri can increase these symptoms but also it is a time of our lives when we have to face other changes. Our appearance changes and we loose people that are close to us. Some of us can't do as much as we could when we were younger. Our children are grown and getting on with their own lives, etc. All of these changes can cause us some sadness.
twanger, You are so right about all the changes that seem to happen at this time in our lives. Over the past few years, several of my relatives have died, and many more could die at any moment, being quite old now. The physical changes I'm seeing in myself only remind me that I don't have much time left to my life either. Oh boy, I better stop now, I don't want to be too much of a downer.

Closed Thread