It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2006, 04:46 PM   #1

naomih HB User
Normal Hormone Levels (can it be peri?)

Hi everyone,
Sorry to bombard the boards but I'm so frightened and have so many questions.
My recent hormone tests (taken on day 13 of cycle) have come back normal and my gyno is adamant that that means I am not peri and there has to be another explanation for my irregular bleeding. I've had hormone tests taken a few times in past 18 months and all were normal.
My irregular bleeding started just over a year ago, with an unusually heavy period, then spotting before and after periods, periods 3 weeks apart, and now cramping and spotting at time of ovulation and after. I used to get my periods every 4 weeks like clockwork, but over the past year they have varied between 3-5 weeks with spotting in between....last month I bled for 6 days, 2 days off, then spotted (very slight spotting) for 2 weeks, then period again 5 days later. This period seems like repeat of last, bled 6 days, 2 days off, cramping, spotting...I haven't spotted for 2 days in a row now, though still feel a bit crampy (day 17 of cycle).
Has anyone else had normal hormone levels but been in peri??
She has ordered an endometrial biopsy for me, which is the subject of another post of mine. Abdominal & pelvic ultrasound looked normal.
I am so frightened and would be grateful for any info.
Thanks,
Naomi

Old 05-18-2006, 07:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User
Re: Normal Hormone Levels (can it be peri?)

From the book by Dr. John Lee "What your doctor may not tell you about premenopause", he said that there is no test to show that you are or are not in perimenopause. That your hormones fluctuate every day. One day it could show that your hormones are normal, another day it could show that they are out of balance. That the doctors just go by what symptoms you have.

I think that your doctor is just being prudent and is trying to rule out anything major. I have read posts in the past where ladies with bleeding problems had the endometrial biopsy and the results were always negative for cancer.

My doctor suggested that I have the same biopsy if my periods continued to be twice a month. (Luckily it stopped).

When you have the biopsy (which I heard is not painful, just stressful) try to think of it as giving you peace of mind that nothing serious is wrong. I am sure that the results will be negative like everyone else. If you are anything like me, I am the biggest worry wart and always think the worst. But after reading so many posts for years on this board I have seen that this is standard procedure for the doctors and that results are always negative. I have never read a post on the menopause boards where someone's result was positive.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2006, 08:05 PM   #3

naomih HB User

Thank you so much for your reply.

I agree that I need the biopsy, but the question is whether I get a new gyno to do it & I have decided that I will.

For 2 reasons...

1. The info she gave me re normal hormone levels mean definitely not peri seems to be wrong, and she must know that...So, does she lie to me? She was ADAMANT that it couldn't be peri.

2. The way she wants to do the biopsy is bizarre and the subject of my endometrial biopsy post.

I'm back at my gp's on monday for a referral to new gyno to do it. Last time I saw my gp she seemed surprised the gyno felt a biopsy had to be done under general anaesthesia.

Thanks,
Naomi

Old 05-19-2006, 09:54 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User

What type of hormone tests were they? I've read that the most reliable tests are saliva tests. You normally take the test right before your period when your hormones will be at their lowest.

Whether you are in peri or not, it's always a good idea to check out other causes for irregular bleeding, just to rule out.

From what you described about your gyno, I probably would have looked for another one also. We have to be our own health advocates, especially when it comes to peri and menopause. I have a low opinion of some doctors and it seems to me that unless they can prescribe a drug for it, "it" doesn't exist.

Old 05-19-2006, 12:28 PM   #5
(female)

slimseeker HB User

Hi Naomih,

I think i seen you post on the power surge board too. I just replied to you there...lol. Unless, you are a different naomih? I replied to you there. I am countryangel444 on that board. So I'll let you read there what I wrote. I'm going through the same thing.

Hugs

Old 05-19-2006, 12:33 PM   #6
(female)

Wizard HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by naomih
1. The info she gave me re normal hormone levels mean definitely not peri seems to be wrong, and she must know that...So, does she lie to me? She was ADAMANT that it couldn't be peri.
My guess is that she isn't lying to you. Honestly, there are few doctors who really have a clue about menopause. It differs so greatly from woman to woman. Hormone levels can change so much from day to day. My tests (done on only one day) come back totally normal and so my doctor said that I'm not peri. I have all the symptoms of being peri but according to him, I'm not. On the other hand, my gyn did agree that I'm likely peri (despite the tests) but had never heard to things like tingling, anxiety etc being related to peri. Still, at least she listens and is willing to try things so I'm sticking with her.

I've had some doctors tell me the only sign of peri is hot flashes. It's really all in the doctor. If this were a man condition, they'd know it inside out by now. But it's a woman's thing and like most women's issues, not well talked about.

I would have the biospy. Once you rule out every other possible thing and only peri is left, it sure does give you peace of mind.

Last edited by Wizard; 05-19-2006 at 12:34 PM.

Old 05-20-2006, 05:27 PM   #7

naomih HB User

Thank you so much to everyone for taking the time to reply.

I am so angry at my gyno at the moment and see my gp tomorrow to get a referral to a new one. Based on your answers & answers from other posts, what she has told me & internet research, it is clear she was planning a hysteroscopy with D&C but told me it was a biopsy. She had talked about using a camera for the biopsy and how they would need to get samples from all over the uterus. I'm so ANGRY that she simply called it an endometrial biopsy, and that is also how she's described it to my gp in her letter. Not to mention her insistence that it CANNOT BE PERI cause my hormones are normal.

I see my gp tomorrow for referral to a new gyno.

Thanks so much,
Naomi

Closed Thread