It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2006, 09:56 AM   #1
(female)

LINSCYCLIST HB User
hot flashes - do they differ for different women?

I have started to get periods of heat in my face lasting sometimes 2 or three minutes sometimes up to half an hour. It just feels really warm like I have been in the sun but not much sweating. can people describe what its like for them
thanks
Linda

Old 05-22-2006, 11:59 AM   #2
(female)

laineyk HB User
Re: hot flashes - do they differ for different women?

ell I sure hope so cuz what you described is exactly what I feel.....Its the weirdest feeling.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2006, 03:40 PM   #3
(female)

Wizard HB User

I've only been getting the odd one during the middle of the night. I get woken up and my chest is all sweaty and I feel somewhat nauseated. I never get them during the day so I can't tell how they start, or what the progression is.

Old 05-22-2006, 05:50 PM   #4
(female)

Pamela20 HB User

Yes, hot flashes can be different for everyone some might have very mild symptoms while others can have them very bad. I have been on premarin ever since i had my hysterectomy 7 years ago and it has helped me alot.

~Pamela

Last edited by Pamela20; 05-22-2006 at 05:51 PM.

Old 05-22-2006, 08:25 PM   #5
(female)

BobbsMomm HB User

I've been having hot flashes on and off for about a year. However, the hot flashes have increased 10 fold in the last month or two. (I haven't had a period since Feb)

What you are describing, the heat in the face, is how my hot flashes were in the beginning. Now, it's full HEAT coming from mid-chest up. I literally sweat.
My scalp is damp and my skin gets clammy. Thank goodness the hot flashes don't last very long, but it's very annoying & uncomfortable.

I wonder how long this will last?

Debby

Old 05-23-2006, 07:02 AM   #6
(female)

marys62 HB User

I always got them after a heart racing episode. My heart would race like crazy then I would get the hot flash from my waist to my head. Very scary!
I take a low dose pill now so I don't get them anymore.

Mary

Old 05-23-2006, 11:54 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User

I started getting them about 2 years ago, but only rarely and now hardly ever. It always happens at night, usually I wake up with one. I never sweat, but just feel like I'm ON FIRE - my whole body. I just lay on top of the covers naked until I cool off, even if the room is cold. It's a weird feeling.

Old 05-23-2006, 02:56 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

marymk HB User

A couple years ago, I was getting them at night, with extreme sweating. Now, I just seem to get the warm face feeling - kind of like a fever. I still get a period every 21-25 days. I'll be 48 this year. My mom said her cycles started getting closer together, before she started missing them completely. I think this is what's happening to me.

Old 05-31-2006, 07:18 PM   #9
(female)

WantToManage HB User

My hot flashes started when I was about 48; I'm 50 now and they finally seem to be abating. I've gone through phases where I was having as many as 20 a day (that sucked!); now I go through many days where I have none, other days I have two or three.

For me, the telltale sign of a true hot flash is that it starts in my upper back and radiates outward. RADIATE is the operative word -- this heat comes from within, it's not like I've been standing outside in the sun. In my worst hot flashes I do get flushed in the face and even sweat -- but they all start with that hot back, something I'd never experienced before I began menopause.

Hang in there -- there are a lot of us in the same boat and we'll all get to the other side!

Old 06-01-2006, 01:18 AM   #10
(female)

Alabasterlyn HB User

I've had hot flushes for about 3 1/2yrs now and they started at night first. I would wake up in the middle of the night for what seemed to be no reason and a few minutes later I would have a hot flush that would be mainly my neck and face.

I then started to get them during the daytime too, which I found pretty embarrassing as I knew that people could see them as my face would be so shiny.

I can always tell during the day when I am going to get a hot flush as I feel a bit weird before it comes on, it's a hard feeling to describe, but it's like I just feel very unwell and anxious beforehand.

In general I think the intensity of the hot flushes has improved and I get them mainly just at night now.

Last edited by Alabasterlyn; 11-26-2006 at 08:58 AM.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:28 AM   #11
(female)

Wink HB User

It's funny but my least troubling symptom all through perimenopause was daytime hot flashes. I never got them. I did have pretty bad night sweats though. Now that I am fully in menopause, I get the occasional hot flash during the day, and it always starts with like an anxious, jittery feeling...that's my warning sign that one is coming. Sometimes I get a little queasy, then the hot flash comes...but it's usually over pretty quick and I don't get extremely sweaty....but my face does get hot and moist. I also notice now that summer is approaching that I just do not tolerate hot weather very well anymore.

Wink.

Old 06-02-2006, 06:25 AM   #12
(female)

marys62 HB User

I think I jinxed myself - a few days ago I posted that I don't have flashes anymore because I am on a low dose pill and I actually had one yesterday. I know low dose pills help with symptoms but my Doctor said that since they have a low concentration of hormones, symptoms can still break through every once in awhile. The flash started with that familiar anxiety feeling, heat creeping through my upper back and a quickening of my pulse. It wasn't as bad as they were before I took the pill but still a nuisance. I think the anxious feeling I get is worse than the flash itself for me.

mary

Old 06-02-2006, 06:40 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User

I think you are right Mary, even on the pill, symptoms do come and go. The pill has helped my heavy periods and ovary pain, but many of the other symptoms are still there. A hot flash now and then, anxiety, heart palpitations and stomach woes are still hanging around. I guess I thought the pill would cure all and maybe for some it will. Lucky girls! Ann

Closed Thread