It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2006, 05:54 PM   #1
(female)

pinkeye HB User
Heart Pounding/Racing with or w/o Hot Flashes

I'm 45 and in the throes of all this stuff. I've been getting a lot of palps at night especially when I get up to use the restroom. My heart pounds fast for about 2-3 minutes then it calms down. Sometimes I have a hot flash at the same time, sometimes not. I get nauseated and shakey as well. My FSH was tested recently and it was 49.

I heard that the heart pounding thing is typical. Anyone else here with the same thing?

Old 05-22-2006, 11:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: Heart Pounding/Racing with or w/o Hot Flashes

pinkeye,

Yes. I wound up going to a cardiologist about it. He hooked me up to a heart monitor, and pronounced me fit (translation "it's all in your head") when the ekg showed no racing heart. A few days later I was trying out a bicycle in a store that showed your heart rate on a little graph display -- and sure enough, there was the spike showing my heart started racing for a couple of minutes, then slowed down. I was so excited to actually SEE what I knew wasn't "only in my head". At any rate, that symptom calmed down, and other peri symptoms took over.

--Rheanna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2006, 06:45 AM   #3
(female)

slimseeker HB User
I get this, too, Pinkeye

Hi Pinkeye,

I have had heart palps and racing for over 2 yrs now. I had ekg's, echocardigrams and the holter monitor and everything came back fine. I kept wondering why I was having these. Then the past month I started the NON-STOP period. I have had it for a month now on and off with hardly no break. I came here and read others got these heart palps and nausea and such and I thought.........wow I am in perimenopause..lol. Suddenly it all comes into place.

Good luck. I am praying for this period to finally stop and hopefully get that first skipped one.

Hugs
S.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:00 AM   #4
(female)

marys62 HB User

pinkeye,

This was the first major symtpom I had starting 3 yrs ago when I turned 40. I went to the ER twice, my doctor about 5 times, a cardiologist, an endocrinologist, etc. I kept having episodes where my heart would race and then I would get flushed, nauseated - the whole thing. I finally went to my Gynocologist who diagnosed peri after looking at my bloodwork (estrogen was way low) and listening to my symptoms. He put me on a low dose birth control pill and the hot flashes stopped. I know I have to stop taking the pill at some point in the future (which I dread) but it helps for now!

mary

Old 05-23-2006, 11:47 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User

Yes, a little over a year ago I had an onset of panic/anxiety attacks. I went to the ER, my regular Dr. and then a cardiologist and everything was okay. I had a racing heart for months, mostly at night. I started taking supplements and eventually got on bioidentical hormones (I was low in estrogen, progesterone, testosterone and DHEA). I'm feeling waaaay better now and my heart rate stays pretty steady. Sometimes right before my periods, I'll feel a little anxious and my heart might be a little racey.

Old 05-23-2006, 03:35 PM   #6
(female)

marys62 HB User

I wish all of these doctors would put 2 and 2 together and figure out that there are a lot of women out there with these same symptoms and they all point to perimenopause. I started having symptoms at 40 and no one even considered peri because they said I was too young!

mary

Old 05-24-2006, 04:26 AM   #7
(female)

Middleagedcrazy HB User

I agree with you Mary. If we didn't have places like this to find out all the things that drs never tell us, I know I would be on a ton of unnessasary medications.
I have had the heart thing for going on two years. I got no relief from it until I started the bio identical hormones and taking magesium everyday. It is amazing that it has totally stopped. I would like to urge all women going through menopausal symtoms to find a doctor who will prescribe bio identical hormones. They are making such a difference for me, I wish I had found them sooner!

Closed Thread