It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2006, 12:56 PM   #1
(female)

glamdais HB User
Question Finally got levels tested. Does this sound right?

Hi All,

I've been posting and reading for the two years when I started having symptoms. Like many of you here I've been to a bunch of doctors who have all told me it was in my head, or go home and take prozac, or even if it's perimenopause you just have to tough it out, or I'm too young (I was 42 at the start, I'm 44 now).

I finally found a OBGYN office where all the docs. are female. At least they listened to me and said many of my symptoms could be perimenopause and that I wasn't too young. They wanted to do bloodwork to test FSH and Estradiol which was great because no other OBGYN had even offered to do this.

The tests were done on the 51st day after the start of my last period (I'm averaging 50-60 days between periods now). My Estradiol was 35 and my FSH was 41.9. They told me this was actually in the menopausal range therefore they suspected I was WELL into the perimenopausal period. I almost wanted to cry when they said this because someone finally believed me!

This is the first test I've had done so I'm wondering if you wise women are in agreement with their assessment given these numbers. Not that I don't trust the docs. , but I've learned more on this board than I have from 5 docs. at this point. I value your opinion.

Thanks and good wishes to all.

Judy

Old 06-09-2006, 08:44 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User
Re: Finally got levels tested. Does this sound right?

Judy:
Sorry no one has responded to your post. I can offer my test results, but not sure how to compare since the numbers don't seem to match up. I've had 2 saliva tests, the first tested estradiol, progesterone, testosterone, DHEA and cortisol. The first result for estradiol was <1.0 pg/ml (units) which was low/menopausal. The second test (after being on bioidentical hormones) showed 16.5 pg/ml (units) which was on the high side. My Dr. adjusted my prescription. I am feeling much better (actually way better) than I did about 15 months ago. I haven't had my FSH tested.

If it's the same type of test, maybe your estradiol is high because you are estrogen dominent (rather than deficient). In research that I've done, many symptoms of high and low estrogen are similar.

Not sure if this helps. But I do think that many doctors don't have a clue about menopause. In my experience, if you can't treat it with a pill, it doesn't exist in their minds!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2006, 08:46 PM   #3
(female)

Wizard HB User

Hi:

I'm not sure about the estradial levels but your FSH is high which could indicate you're in peri-menopause. Anything over 12 means that your egg supply is diminishing which is one of the first stages heading towards menopause.

Old 06-14-2006, 04:10 AM   #4
(female)

Middleagedcrazy HB User

Well Judy, the best thing you did was find a female doctor. In my experience, all the male doctors I have seen do not want to discuss menopause and don't know peri exists. I didn't get any test done until Feb. of this year. I too, had the saliva testing and am using bio identical hormones. The nurse practioner that I saw told me that she has taken many women off of anti depressants. Those seem to be most male doctors treatment of choice. They don't care if they help you, they just want to dope you up so you stop complaining about how bad you feel! After bad experiences with doctors, and dealing with the red tape of doctors and insurance, you finally reach a point where you become highly pro yourself!

I guess I was quiet naive and held doctors in greater esteem than most of them deserve. It was, for me, a shock to discover that a lot of doctors don't truly care about you. They just need to run X amount of patients through the office everyday to make enough money to substain their life styles. I am dealing with a doctor now that owns a lab and somehow they misfiled my last visit and the insurance isn't paying. The dr refuses to help the lab, which HE owns! You have to be your own advocate and the board is a great place to find out info that some doctors will never bother to tell you.

Old 06-14-2006, 09:12 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User

Middleagedcrazy: You are sooooooo right on!

I have to say that not all women doctors are on board either. The first gyno (female) I talked to about suspected peri symptoms (about 4 years ago), suggested bcp to relieve heavy cramping and short cycles. I wasn't interested (been on bcp most of my adult life and figured that in itself contributed to my situation). She also suggested anti anxiety medication for PMS and said she prescribed them all the time. Well when my symptoms were at their worst, believe me I considered it, but found alternate methods, which was my choice. BUT I had to figure it out on my own (and with a different Gyno).

Closed Thread