It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2006, 12:09 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User
Please Help With Bloating

I will be 50 in December and have been in perimenopause for a bout 7 years. I have been on a natural progesterone cream for cramping, moodiness and irregular periods for 2 years. It has really helped and kept me regular most of the time. I noticed this problem with bloating several years ago and it would come and go. It seemed I had to be really careful about what I would eat. Well, I haven't had a period in 3 months even though I've used my cream faithfully. The bloating is not in my lower abdomen, where you would think it would be because of no periods, but in my upper stomach region. Everything I eat causes me to puff up like there is a balloon inside me! I have 3 sizes of jeans that I can wear depending on the time of month and now even my big size are getting a little uncomfortable. Does anyone else have this stomach issue? Last night I made the mistake of drinking a carbonated drink and WOW was the ever a mistake. TOday I am still feeling the affects of it. The things that bother me most are carbonated drinks, bread, and sweets. I feel great if I don't eat. I was so proud of myself when we went to Olive Garden to eat dinner the other night and all I had was soup and salad. I felt great! I would really be interestd in other people with this problem and hearing their stories. Also I read that during menopause, weight accumulates around the middle. Oh great! My mother and grandmother - they both had the stomacks and tiny toothpick legs! I have genetics against me!
Cindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2006, 12:32 PM   #2
(female)

delaney1 HB User
Re: Please Help With Bloating

Howitt
I have had a real problem with the bloating for the last several months. I am 50 yrs old and the bloating started when I was having very heavy bleeding for a few months. Went to the dr, had a D & C done, then put on low dose bcp. I thought I would feel better after the D & C but didn't. I kept thinking there was something seriously wrong with me. I felt horrible. It was also the upper abdomen for me too. Almost seemed to be pushing against my lungs so I couldn't breathe as well! I tried to take walks but was too miserable. And what bothered me was that it was constant and I would get nauseus. I am on my second month of bcp and it's getting better BUT-- I constantly have to watch what I eat. I stay away from high fat (a real sacrifice for me), pasta agrees with me so I eat alot of that. Fruits and veggies are good. Sweets don't agree with me either. Carbonated drinks bother me as well. I have totally adjusted my lifelong eating habits and have accepted that this may be a way of life. Now that I feel a little better, I am back to walking at least one mile a day. That helps. Yes, the fat collects at the middle. I do abdominal exercises as well, but be patient because it's really hard to get rid of. I also take acidopholus pills, calcium, magnesium. I really don't know what works and what doesn't. I know that Mylanta is my friend and I don't leave home without it. Good luck. I know how very frustrating it is. I keep hearing that it eventually gets better.

Old 06-04-2006, 12:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

I hate to sound dumb, but what are BCPs?

Old 06-04-2006, 02:02 PM   #4
(female)

delaney1 HB User

birth control pills.

Old 06-04-2006, 03:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

OH, I feel so stupid! I guess I don't associate birth control pills as a high topic on the Menopause Board. My husband had a vasectomy years ago; but I know this time in a woman's life it is possible. Thanks.
Cindy

Old 06-04-2006, 04:40 PM   #6
(female)

delaney1 HB User

Cindy,
Don't feel bad. It took me a while to get used to the abbreviations on these boards. I still don't know what alot of them mean. Bcps help get abnormal bleeding under control and get your period back on track. The low dose bcp may not be strong enough to prevent conception (and in my case is not what it's being used for). Hormones, hormones, hormones!

Old 06-04-2006, 05:38 PM   #7
(female)

slimseeker HB User

Hi Howitt44,

I'm so glad you asked this question. I was about to ask today the same thing and saw you asked. I get exactly what you get with the upper stomach bloating and I get the lower bloating too. Does you lower abdomen bloat and feel heavy too at times????? I am 45 and feel I've been in peri for a couple years. I just had month long bleeding and finally stopped...oh was that joy...LOL

Hang in there, from what I read it DOES get better when we're done. At least we're not alone and have all these wonderful women going through the same who understand. I'm glad I found this board. I thank all who've helped me so far.

Have a great evening
Hugs
slimseeker

Old 06-04-2006, 05:52 PM   #8
(female)

shell1 HB User

It seems like I go up and down with the bloating. Last month I had it really bad. I felt like I gained 200lbs, this month I don't really have any bloat at all. When I get it I feel miserable. I felt so blah, I can't even explain how yucky I feel. I take Pamprin, it seems to help.

Old 06-05-2006, 11:21 AM   #9
(female)

angelavan HB User

Hi Fellow Bloaters,
I'm 44 and have been premi the last 4 years. I also have lots of problems w/ bloating. I was diag. w/ IBS- Irritable Bowel syndrome, and I have really bad problems w/ MSG. I have 2 brothers that also have problems if they eat MSG.
I have been trying to eat no MSG, which is very hard because it is in everything, but I have not been as bloated. Will wait and see in a few weeks when I get ready to start my period and see if that helps.

Old 06-05-2006, 12:54 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

I finally started my period after a 3 month hiatis. Ha! (Hope I spelled that right). I already feel better and my bloating is going away slowly but surely. Does this mean that when I finally do stop my periods for good, that the bloating will be indefinite? I hope not!
Cindy

Old 06-05-2006, 03:33 PM   #11
Inactive

Terrierlover HB User

I have this same horrible bloating. I have an easier time of it when I stay away from anything that uses baking soda or baking powder. Bread, hot dog or hamburger buns, etc... all make it really bad.

Old 06-05-2006, 07:46 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

TerrierLover,
I agree. It's the same with me. I just cannot eat bread anymore. If I do, I can expect to be miserable the rest of the day and night. I guess we have to learn to live without it. I say that now and then when I'm feeling better, I'll give in and have the wonderful bread stick or garlic bread - or two or three! ... By the way, what kind of terriers do you have? We have 3 schnauzers!
Cindy

Closed Thread