It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2006, 07:13 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

carrie_l_b HB User
Stress causes sudden onset of menopause symptoms

Hi,

I am new here. I have recently experienced the highest stress levels ever in my life. Within 3 weeks of the first stressor, my period was off-schedule for the first time ever and I began having night sweats (8-12 per night) and hot flashes.

On May 10, my husband announced that he is in love with another woman and is leaving and on May 18, my father died. My menopause symptoms began the week of May 21.

I am 47 years old and before May 21, you could have set your watch by my periods.

Has anyone else here experienced something similar, where high stress levels seem to have brought on menopause symptoms?

Thanks.

Carrie

Old 06-12-2006, 10:37 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User
Re: Stress causes sudden onset of menopause symptoms

Carrie:
First let me say that I'm so sorry for all that has happened to you recently. Yes, I DO believe that stress can progress peri symptoms.

In my case, (I'm 47) I started getting mild peri symptoms around age 40 with heavy cramping, periods 21 days apart and increased headaches. At about 45, some other things showed up like insomnia, occasional hot flash and fatigue. In March of 2005, I had been in a high stress sales job for about 1-1/2 years. My uncle, who I was close to, committed suicide. I did not know it, but he'd been ill and had kept everything very private. It was a devastating time for me and I think it was the first time I'd really thought about my own mortality (even though I'd lost my father 10 years prior).

I started having outright panic/anxiety attacks (never happened before), horrible insomnia, headaches, loss of appetite, chills and my heart just raced alll the time. I thought I was dying of some horrible disease! It took a while and some testing to figure it all out, which I pretty much did on my own.

I changed my diet, started taking more supplements (like magnesium and potassium) and found a gyno that prescribed bioidentical hormones. It took a while for me to feel better, but I do feel a lot better than I did a year ago.

Hope that helps. It's important that you take care of your health and physical needs as well as your emotional needs. I hope you feel better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2006, 11:15 AM   #3
(female)

Wink HB User

Hi Carrie,

I absolutely believe there is a direct correlation between stress and the intensity of perimenopause symptoms. I also went through a divorce that was brought on by my now ex-husband having an affair. I had been having some mild symptoms before I found out about it, but when the stress of finding out about the affair kicked in, all hell broke loose with me physically as well. Night sweats, panic attacks, heart palpitations, feeling dizzy and lightheaded..the list goes on. I was also crazy busy at work, and really felt terribly ill. It took a while for me to figure out that what was happening to me was a combination of stress and perimenopause. I was 43 years old when this all happened. I am now 45, divorced, (she can have him!) and feeling much much better.

I am so sorry you are going through all of this, I can completely relate. Try and take things one day at a time, it's a tough road, both physically and emotionally.

Wink.

Old 06-13-2006, 06:05 AM   #4
(female)

1awesomegranny HB User

I agree with this 100%!!! I'm sure the stress I was under played a VERY big part in all this starting for me, if not the major part. Now if I could just get all these symptoms to go away like the stress of that time eventually did!
Conni

Old 06-13-2006, 07:01 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

carrie_l_b HB User

Thank you all for responding. I am feeling better emotionally every day, with setbacks here and there.

Physically, I'm not doing too badly either. I am deadset against HRT, so have been taking Estroven Extra Strength. This alone does not seem to help my night sweats too much, but when I add SoyBalance supplement and keep the air conditioning on, I can sleep through the night.

In reading some of the posts on this board, I see that I've had some symptoms for a while. One thing I've had for about a year is the "tingling" in hands and feet. This alone caused a great deal of problems with my husband as he would get really mad at me when I asked if he was moving the bed. If he had been the tiniest bit concerned, it may have gone differently. Oh well.

Carrie

Old 06-14-2006, 07:16 AM   #6
(female)

kkamp1983 HB User

Wow, I am so sorry. I cant imagine finding out your husband is having an affair and then having your father die. My condolences The only time I ever missed a period was when I was 21 and my boyfriend and I broke up. I was devastated. Im sure stress was involved there!!

Old 06-19-2006, 01:10 PM   #7
(female)

yock HB User

Last October my mother passed away after having been diagnosed with bladder cancer only in August. The stress and grief was unbearable. Within a month I began having hot flashes every hour. Whew!!! I had an FSH test done and my number was 41.9. My gyne told me any number over 20 means you're in menopause. My previous number two years ago was 12. I truly believe the stress from losing my mother so quickly brought on my menopause and brought it on hard. Hopefully, it will go away quick.

Closed Thread