It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2006, 11:44 AM   #1
(female)

Deb09 HB User
Perimenopausal, anemic

Hi. I'm new. I'm 52, perimenopausal, and anemic. Doc has me on Feosol caplets for two months - just finished first month. Should I not be feeling better? I'm still very dizzy and tired after any exersion. I force myself to walk two miles each day but it hasn't given me new energy. Mind very fuzzy. ANY of you experienced this at all????

Old 06-13-2006, 02:37 PM   #2
(female)

delaney1 HB User
Re: Perimenopausal, anemic

Deb,
Yes, I was quite anemic also because of severe prolonged bleeding (am 50 years old and in peri). It will actually take several months to get your hemoglobin back to where it should be. It is a very slow process. I definitely wasn't back to normal within a month. Don't push it too hard. Exercise is OK but remember that the oxygen level in your blood just isn't what it should be. I think you'll notice a change by the end of the 2nd month but your Hb levels probably still won't be quite what they shoud be.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2006, 01:36 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User

I also was anemic from from heavy periods. My dr. said it would take up to 6 months for my iron levels to get close to being normal. My hemoglobin got back to normal in 8 weeks, but 8 months down the line I still get tired. Maybe the iron levels or just the peri. I am 51. Ann

Old 06-19-2006, 01:29 PM   #4
(female)

Deb09 HB User

Delaney,
Thanks for your response. I haven't had occurances of REAL heavy bleeding and I'm not yet sure what causes my anemia. My periods were always very regular (28 days) and then in the last year or so they were every two months and then regular and then three months, etc. I keep hoping for the final one. I also have hypothyroidism and I have to be careful not to take the iron too close to the synthroid because it will affect the way the synthroid works, so sometimes I wonder - even after taking the iron hours later - if I'm experiencing the dullness of the inactive thyroid. Who knows. I just think this whole menopause thing is so unfair to women!

Old 06-19-2006, 01:30 PM   #5
(female)

Deb09 HB User

Do either one of you have an inactive thyroid?

Old 06-19-2006, 02:14 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

nornie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb09
Delaney,
Thanks for your response. I haven't had occurances of REAL heavy bleeding and I'm not yet sure what causes my anemia. My periods were always very regular (28 days) and then in the last year or so they were every two months and then regular and then three months, etc. I keep hoping for the final one. I also have hypothyroidism and I have to be careful not to take the iron too close to the synthroid because it will affect the way the synthroid works, so sometimes I wonder - even after taking the iron hours later - if I'm experiencing the dullness of the inactive thyroid. Who knows. I just think this whole menopause thing is so unfair to women!
Deb,

It's funny as I was reading your first post my first thought was, "Hmmm...I wonder if she's hypothyroid too?" Did you know that hypo can also *cause* anemia? Don't know how often you get your levels checked, but if you haven't in a while it's probably worth doing to see where you're at. Yes, I am hypothyroid and was also severely anemic before being diagnosed. My ferritin was so low it couldn't even be measured! Took a few months to get things back to normal. I'm almost 3 years post-meno now, but the hypo still makes me feel sluggish at times. And yes, definitely make sure you take your iron at least 8 hours away from your synthroid!!! Same goes for calcium - it also interferes with synthroid absorption.

Nornie

Old 06-19-2006, 02:47 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User

My thyroid is normal. That was checked right away when my hemoglobin came back low. All the other tests were normal, just very low iron. My periods were very regular up to last fall, just had a couple of fairly heavy days in the middle, but my periods only lasted for about 4 days. I didn't feel bad, so I didn't think I was getting anemic. Doctor said iron can drop quickly even from just a couple of periods with a few heavy days. Luckily for now my thyroid is ok. That could change tomorrow! Ann

Old 06-19-2006, 03:05 PM   #8
(female)

Deb09 HB User

Yikes! I've been taking the iron only 4 hours after synthroid! I'll be sure to take it later in the dya tomorrow - thanks for that bit of info! I get my TS levels checked pretty frequently - last time was about two or three weeks ago and it was at 1.0 - which is very good. I had a bleeding polyp removed from my stomach in Feb so all the docs thought maybe that was why I was anemic - the blood didn't exhibit and so they were surprised when the found it. Because I have a hard time with iron pills I went for an iron infusion - and wouldn't you know it, but I was allergic and had to be rushed to emergency an hour after the infusion...so...I'm on Feosol caplets and must take them with food to counter the stomach upset. But I will certainly start taking them at supper instead of lunch. Thanks again.

Closed Thread