It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2006, 03:57 AM   #1
(female)

captain14 HB User
Birth contol pills

I have been having symptoms for about 3 years. At the time it started I was on bcp's for about 13 years. Not knowing what all the symptoms were that I was having I stopped the pills. My dr thought I was crazy and said the taking bcp would mask the symptoms and that I was too young for peri anyway. Thank goodnes my gp disagreed and said it was peri and that seemed to ease the terrible anxiety I was having. So I have been managing the symptoms the best I can and just went to a new dr due to a move. My one complaint to her was that I was all over the map with my period. She advised that I start up on bcp again to ease the symptoms and get me regular again. Well, I have only been taking them for a few days and I feel so much worse. The hot flashes are almost constant. Terrible insomnia. Has anyone had this happen? I know it hasn't been long enough for the pills to settle in my system but I can't take how I feel. Can anyone help with this? Thanks so much.

Old 06-15-2006, 05:15 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Birth contol pills

You didn't give your age and that would help. However, my experience was that when I was first on bcp, after about 12 years I was having all sorts of PMS symptoms all the time. So I got off the pill. This was mid-30's. When I remarried at 44, I went back on them and had no problems. However, after a few years, peri stepped up and my doctor changed my bcp. In two weeks, every symptom was gone. Literally! About 4 years ago I decided that 56 was too old to be having periods (especially since I started them at age 10!). Talked with my gyno and she put me on HRT. Haven't had a period since. It's wonderful!.

Anyway, if it has only been a few days, I would try to keep on them a little longer for your system to adjust. If you keep having trouble, ask her to prescribe a different one. You just may need a different formulation. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2006, 05:42 AM   #3
(female)

captain14 HB User

Thanks for the response. I will be 42 next month. The pill I was on was ortho novum 7-7-7. I had no problems with it, just started to have a lot of symptoms after I turned 39. Now I started Yasmine. Like you said I need to give it some time. The symptoms I got used to but getting my period every 2 weeks I don't like. That is the purpose of starting the pill again. Thanks again.

Old 06-15-2006, 05:53 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User

I started on BCP last Feb. to control ovarian cysts and heavy periods. About the only thing I can tell the pill has helped is the periods. Finally I am regular again and they are not quite as heavy. As for the rest of the peri symptoms, ovary pain, palpatations, weight gain, acne, headaches, nausea to name a few they are all still there, some worse since starting the pill. I am on a low dose estrogen pill, so maybe that is why other problems remain. I really hate to up the pill to higher estrogen, everyone around me is being diagnosed with breast cancer lately. And those people have a connection to HRT or bio-identical hormones. I don't know the answer. It's no good to feel crumby all the time either, trying to go it alone without anything. I hope you start to feel better. Ann

Old 06-15-2006, 06:48 AM   #5
(female)

marys62 HB User

captain,

I have been on lo-ovral for over a year. It is the same formula for three weeks than placebo pills (no hormones) for 1 week. It took about 1 and /2 months for the pill to kick in and I felt fine. It really does take a while for it to work but it is well worth the wait.

mary

Old 06-15-2006, 07:53 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I've read a lot of posts about people having problems on Yasmine. If things don't improve soon, I'd ask for a change. I was on Allesse prior to the HRT (Femhrt).

Old 06-15-2006, 11:18 AM   #7
(female)

Mistyeyze HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain14
I have been having symptoms for about 3 years. At the time it started I was on bcp's for about 13 years. Not knowing what all the symptoms were that I was having I stopped the pills. My dr thought I was crazy and said the taking bcp would mask the symptoms and that I was too young for peri anyway. Thank goodnes my gp disagreed and said it was peri and that seemed to ease the terrible anxiety I was having. So I have been managing the symptoms the best I can and just went to a new dr due to a move. My one complaint to her was that I was all over the map with my period. She advised that I start up on bcp again to ease the symptoms and get me regular again. Well, I have only been taking them for a few days and I feel so much worse. The hot flashes are almost constant. Terrible insomnia. Has anyone had this happen? I know it hasn't been long enough for the pills to settle in my system but I can't take how I feel. Can anyone help with this? Thanks so much.
After horrible peri symptoms for a year, I went to the doctor and she put me on Yaz, which is a low dose bcp. Maybe I should add that prior to going on the pill, my peri symptoms were constant. CONSTANT. I felt like I was headed for a breakdown.
Anyhoo- I started the pill the day after I got my period and the first few days I still felt like crap. After that, it was like a fog lifted and I started feeling much better. In all seriousness, I felt better than I had in a year. Mid month I had another two days of what I thought could be hormonal issues... but it also passed quickly. At the end of the cycle (on the placebo days) I got terrible cramps, and didn't feel too great for a few days. Today I feel great and am ready for my second cycle of pills tomorrow.

I say give it some more time. The pill has helped me so much... I just can't stress it enough. I hope I can stay on it for a long time.

In my case it was a true life saver. Good luck and keep us posted

Old 06-15-2006, 11:21 AM   #8
(female)

Mistyeyze HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou
I've read a lot of posts about people having problems on Yasmine. If things don't improve soon, I'd ask for a change. I was on Allesse prior to the HRT (Femhrt).
Yikes I just went and checked my pill pack.... because mine is called Yaz. I wanted to make sure it wasn't short for Yasmine, but it's not. Just Yaz. Strange name, lol.

Closed Thread