It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2006, 11:12 AM   #1
(female)

stedwell HB User
should I be tested for being perimenopausal?

Hi
I am gradually coming to the conclusion that I may be going into the perimenopause. I have lots and lots of symptoms I recognise here. Major one is digestive problems. Have had this for a few years and having a colonoscopy on thursday to check it isn't anything else. During the past 2 months I have been having the most dreadful headaches too. If my little investigation next week comes through OK then I am going to see my doc about bcp. Should I have blood tests done first to check that I am definately peri?
Thanks.

Old 06-17-2006, 01:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MommaBee HB User
Re: should I be tested for being perimenopausal?

You don't mention your age, but if you are in your early 40's then you most definitely are starting to go into perimenopause. Because of the wide varity of symptoms that go on and such fluctuations in your hormones, your doctor probably won't do the FSH test yet. It wouldn't be accurate. They usually wait until you are close to 50. That is because your hormones by then are not so erratic. What you will need to have your doctor do though is check your thyroid. Thyroid problems can mimic the symptoms of peri and menopause, so you need to make sure you are ok there.
I have been having changes in my periods since I was 36. Right now I am almost 50 and skipping periods. 4 months and counting.
Also, as far as BCP's, you most likely will be put on HRT, to regulate your periods. Just remember too that this all is a NORMAL time in our lives and things are going to change. Just hang on, it can be one H*LL of a roller coaster ride!
Take care!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2006, 03:13 PM   #3
(female)

stedwell HB User

Thanks for replying. I am 42. Have had symptoms for about 3 - 4 years. i am suprised you mention HRT. I don't know much about this yet but I thought that was for when I was older. (Or maybe I am older!!) Wouldn't the bcp regulate things as I still have a period every month (or sometimes every 3 weeks.) I feel so ill. Headaches, digestive issues, spaced out, fatigue etc but I wouldn't want to take HRT unless I knew that the peri was causing me to feel like this.

Old 06-17-2006, 07:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

MommaBee HB User

Actually, HRT is pretty much the same thing, but not as strong. You could do BCP's especially because if you are having periods, you could still become pregnant. But with the HRT, I think it only is strong enough to give you a regular period. I don't take anything anymore for it and so now I am now not having periods. If I took HRT I would probably start again.
I would do a Google search about both of them and peri. There are alot of great sites out there with good information. Do talk to your doctor about your options.
At one point, I was bleeding so much (the reason for the HRT) that they wanted to do a hysterectomy. Luckly I didn't have the H. But stayed on the HRT for two years. Then I went with just Bio Identical Hormones (soy, Black Cohosh). I still do that and it has worked for me.

Closed Thread