It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2006, 10:37 AM   #1
(female)

Wizard HB User
Bio-Identical Hormone Question

Hi:

Can you ladies explain to me exactly what bio-identical hormones are and what kind you take.

I can't take any kind of HRT since I have blood clot issues and am looking for tons of other options before I revisit the doctor. The tingling in my legs and feet is driving me crazy and I want to walk in there with real options that I can explore with him rather than having him tell me to just grin (not possible ) and bear it.

Thanks

Old 06-20-2006, 02:48 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User
Re: Bio-Identical Hormone Question

I bio-identical hormones prescribed to me by a gyno that deals with natural hormone therapy (actually I've moved and have to find a new one). When my symptoms were at their worst, I did a saliva test and the results were sent to her - that's how she prescribed the hormones to the compounding pharmacy. I was low on estrogen, prgesterone, testosterone and DHEA. Six months later, we did a follow up saliva test and adjusted the hormones again. I also started taking supplements like magnesium, potassium, iron and GABA (among others). I feel much much better than I did about 14 months ago.

There is a lot of information about bioidentical hormones out there. Basically, they are made from plant products that are more similar to our own estrogen (rather than horse urine). However, that's not to say that it's risk free. There are still risks involved when taking estrogen. I believe the risk is lower mainly because of the doses involved. It's also my understanding that the earlier in periomenopause you start, the less risk (as opposed to a woman who has already been in menopause a few years).

I would find a doctor who specializes in bioidentical hormones, so they can evaluate your situation. My gyno also recommended the other natural supplements to help with symptoms (like magnesium). Any Dr. that tells you to "grin and bear it" is worthless. If you know that's what you might get, I wouldn't even go there.

I hope this helps, but feel free to ask if you have other specific questions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2006, 06:12 AM   #3
(female)

kkamp1983 HB User

I had a saliva test. I have extreme estrogen dominance. Low progesterone, low coritsol, low dhea. It showed some adrenal fatigue. My doctor put me on prometrium, dhea, progolenone, high energy vitamin, 1000 vitamin c, I am also on calcium and magnesium due to being so suppressed on thyroid meds. I also take 2 adrenal support pills. One in the morning, one at night. She told me she was on prozac like me and after taking some of the pills I have been taking she got off the prozac. The woman at the health food store told me that I would feel wonderful on these items. I have to admit. I do have more energy!! Now my question. Would this be considered bio-identical items . I'm not sure exactly what they are and where you get them.

Old 06-23-2006, 08:14 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User

kkamp:
The bioidentical hormones that most refer to are usually estrogen (there are different types, also), progesterone and testosterone that are produced in a topical form by a compounding pharmacy. I'm not quite sure about the testosterone, but I know that the estrogen and progesterone are made from plant products (rather than horse urine and synthetic bases) that more naturally match human hormones. I originally had DHEA included in mine, but when we changed the dose the second time, we took it out and I now take it orally. It may not really be non-bioidentical in the first place.

Hopefully that helps. Glad you are feeling better. Sounds like you have a good doctor and a good health food store!

Closed Thread