It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2006, 06:23 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

viktik HB User
current prominent symptom: depression

Hi everyone,

I seem to go from one prominent symptom to another, but still having all symptoms at once sometimes. The prominent one now though is depression. It seems to come in the mornings, and then by around 1:00pm or so it starts to lift. I am assuming this is caused by the hormonal fluctuations going on in my body. Depression is nothing new to me, as I have had to deal with it quite a bit in my life, but this seems to be daily, and I really want it to pass. I think depression is one of the worst symptoms of peri. Since I work full-time, it really brings me down to have to deal with this. I'm always glad when it starts to lift toward afternoon. Anyone else deal with this??

Also, for over a week now I have had severe cramps, but no bleeding. I keep wondering when my period will start. Do any of you experience this?

Thanks everyone, for any responses you may have, and have a good Saturday!

viktik

Old 06-24-2006, 08:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User
Re: current prominent symptom: depression

Lately, I've been reading about cortisol levels and adrenal fatigue. I've learned that normally cortisol levels rise during the early morning hours and are highest in midmorning (about 7 a.m.). They drop very low in the evening and during the early phase of sleep. These high levels can cause depression. This might be what is occuring with many of us going through peri/meno.

Anyone familiar with adrenal fatigue and what can be done to correct adrenal fatigue?

Viktik I hope you find relief soon .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2006, 12:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MommaBee HB User

viktik,
I believe what you are experiencing is what is called a "phantom period." I have had several of them, when my periods became very irregular. It was the beginning of my skipping periods. I had everything that said I should be bleeding, but no blood. Cramps, breast tenderness, etc. It was very strange!
As far as your depression goes, there are treatments for it, if you really find that your quality of life is suffering because of it. I went on Lexapro for 7 months and it really helped me. You might consider asking your doctor about some help.

Hopefully,
I have also been reading about adrenal fatigue and Cushings disease.
I suffer from these symptoms: Weight gain through the middle, "bull neck"(fat at the top of the neck), depression, that lifts in the evening, Decreased sex drive, the need for caffine and salty and sweet foods to keep going, tired for no reason, trouble bouncing back after a stressful event, trouble getting up in the morning, even if I have slept well. Feeling run down and overwhelmed all the time.
I am going to be buying the book by Dr. John L. Wilson, called "Adrenal Fatique: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome" to find a way to help with it. It is where I found out that this is what may have been what has been going on with me. In the last couple of months I have put on around 20lbs without changing anything in my food intake or exercise. Figures, it is all around my middle! UGH! I don't know if there is anything that can be done, but having your adrenal gland scanned to see if there is something going on there or having a blood test to see what your cortisol levels are. I think that test is a 24 hour test.

Old 06-25-2006, 04:00 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

gav_73 HB User

Like you, I am expriencing depression. Also like you, it is nothing new to me, although I have never experienced it at this level before. I thought it was all due to the burnout of school and work, a new marriage, moving to a new city, etc. But I recently found out that I might be entering into peri-menopause early (I am only 33). Although I was severely disappointed by this revelation (we are talking about getting pregnant in December, hence the need for the tests), I am not as surprised due to my symptoms: fatigue, hair loss, night sweats, weight gain, depression, lack of motivation, worry, anxiety, etc.

I am dying for some relief before I have a nervous breakdown. I just thought that I was stressed, but now that I realize my hormones are probably playing the most prevalent role, I am hoping there are treatment options for these symptoms.

Please let me know if you learn of any for this debilitating symptom.

Closed Thread