It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2006, 03:57 PM   #1
(female)

jbabbit HB User
Just want to know that I am not alone...

Last year I started having chest pains and just panicky all the time. Made my husband take me to the er a couple of times so then my doc orders all these tests for heart... everything came back ok. He then dedcides it is my hormones since I am now 44. I am on xanax as needed for panic attacks...zoloft-once a day...temazapam if needed to sleep, since I have sleeplessness.

Anyone else have to take all of these meds... I hate pills....but I wouldn't be without them either...lol I keep the xanax in my purse. Most days I dont even need them but then the next I may be in a panic.

Am I crazy? I asked the doc and he says no...but sometimes I wonder and so does my family! LOL

My periods are irregular, I have night sweats sometimes, hot flashes, moodiness, major anxiety at times, depression, digestion problems...

does it last forever????

Old 06-28-2006, 05:38 PM   #2
(female)

slimseeker HB User
Re: Just want to know that I am not alone...

Hi Jbabbit,

I can relate to what you're saying. I had similar heart stuff happening a few years ago. I am today 45. All my heart test, echocardiogram, ekg, holter monitor all came back ok. I have often wondered what is wrong with me until I read online here that peri causes heart racing and palps...then I realized that was happening.

As far as the meds...if they help you and you choose them that's ok, but I prefer no meds. I have been trying to approach my perimeno symptoms naturally. I take a calcium with vit. D supplement, multivitamin and soy isoflavone capsules. A few years ago I was on zoloft and said enough was enough. I went off them and been good since. I do get the emotional stuff too, but have found that exercising helps me a lot, and I take baths to relax and lay back and close my eyes and breath deeply. That breathing will help the heart palps too, along with relaxing anxiety. Try cutting sugar out of your diet...big help and also eat healthy foods, whole grains, veggies and fruits. That along with some exercise really does help our symptoms.

I do have worse days and some good, but at times i'm not so faithful cutting out the sugar and I suffer for it.

You said your periods were irregular. May I ask how? I have bled since Apr. 21, with 3 periods and lots of spotting. It's been now over two months with this almost constant sort of bleeding pattern. I may go 7 days nothing and then it starts..butmostly lately spotting or very light a few days and nothing for 7 then it starts again. Iam sick of this...how is your periods acting? I can't wait to start skipping a month. When they say coming closer I never thought like every 7 days!!!!! I do have a gyno appt. in Aug. 4.

Good luck to you and NO you're NOT crazy!!!! It's all natural...millions of women have gone on before us with this and survived and so will we!!!! Now if I can just convince myself of this..hummm

Hugs to you
Slimseeker

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2006, 05:40 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User

I would not leave the house without my Xanax! I don't take it too often, but if the palps get too bad, it really helps. I started this mess of perimenopause with the chest pain and palps. I do take Tenormin and that helps too. Why try to go it alone without any meds if there is something that helps? I think the stress of having to tackle all the symptoms without anything is harder on your system than taking a few pills. You won't have to stay on them forever. Something has to be said for a person's quality of life. I can't stay home in bed all day trying to tough it out pill free, and I know that would happen without my Xanax on certain days. Take what you need to get by, stay in contact with your doctor too. These days don't last forever. (I pray) Ann

Old 06-29-2006, 09:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbabbit
Last year I started having chest pains and just panicky all the time. Made my husband take me to the er a couple of times so then my doc orders all these tests for heart... everything came back ok. He then dedcides it is my hormones since I am now 44. I am on xanax as needed for panic attacks...zoloft-once a day...temazapam if needed to sleep, since I have sleeplessness.

Anyone else have to take all of these meds... I hate pills....but I wouldn't be without them either...lol I keep the xanax in my purse. Most days I dont even need them but then the next I may be in a panic.

Am I crazy? I asked the doc and he says no...but sometimes I wonder and so does my family! LOL

My periods are irregular, I have night sweats sometimes, hot flashes, moodiness, major anxiety at times, depression, digestion problems...

does it last forever????

You are not alone. When I first started having symptoms I also made a couple of trips to the ER. I've also been through several antianxiety and antidepressants. You are not alone and no it does not last forever (YEAH!!!!!!!!)

Old 06-29-2006, 11:54 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

MommaBee HB User

No you are not alone. I started to have panic attacks about the age of 43. I have made 2 trips to the ER, thinking I was having a heart attack. I have been in several dufferent AD's and now that I am 50, I don't seem to be suffering from them anymore. I do still feel anxious sometimes, but I have been able to deal with them better now.
Right now, I am skipping periods (till today! went four months this time) and having hot flashes and night sweats.
Hang in there!

Old 06-29-2006, 01:55 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User

No you're certainly not alone. From what I have read and learned anxiety is a very common symptom of menopausal issues. I am 52 and breezed through peri. with very few symptoms, but about 8 months ago, when I stopped my periods completely, all heck broke loose! I had very bad anxiety, heart palpitations, mood swings, fatigue, brain fogginess, digestion problems, hot flashes, night sweats, sleeplessness-- all of it suddenly and all at once.

I'm now taking "ativan"- and anti anxiety similar to xanax-as necessary. I am also on "celexa", an anti-depressant, daily; and take "ambien" for sleep, as necessary. I'm also on climara-pro (a bioidentical hormone patch) for the hot flashes and night sweats, it also helps me to sleep by relieving the night problems. When I started sleeping better and wasn't so anxious, the digestive problems also got better. All of the symptoms you have listed seem fairly common for women with peri and meno. problems.

I also HATE pills and medications; I was absolutely determined to go all natural through menopause. I much prefer natural remedies to any medications. I have always eaten a diet full of fruits and veggies, whole grains etc, and have practiced yoga regularly for about 14 years now for stress relief etc. However, for me, when full menopause hit... I was so miserable, felt so yucky, and the lack of sleep seriously interfering with my family, job etc. --I went running to my ob/gyn for anything to give me some relief! (sort of like a woman who is determined to go through natural childbirth, but when the advanced labor hits she's begging for anything... that's me!) With the meds. he prescribed, I feel more like my old self again and back to an active life! I know this will not last forever, and the meds. are there as a temporary crutch for a few years, and then--this too shall pass!

Last edited by Red Maple; 06-29-2006 at 02:04 PM.

Old 07-03-2006, 02:51 PM   #7
(female)

laineyk HB User

Ok add me to the list of "your not alone" I am on zoloft, Klonopin as needed. I started all this at 40 (47 now) have tried to come off the meds several times and relapesd severely...I praise God that there is something that helps me I am trying to wean off the klonopin take a 1/4 of a pill every other day now (worked my way down to that) but I am a day or two from getting my period & I need it more then ever then. I have been getting off balance feeling for two days now...period or inner ear????whatever Keep in touch we all need encouragement

Old 07-04-2006, 03:37 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

HOney, ur not crazy! ACtually, ur normal. The symptoms you are having all fit in the menopause category. The only thing I can tell you is , if you are finding xanax and zoloft not helping in the panic attacks, switch to something else. If you find something that nips this in the butt, you will find that you will sleep at night and can eliminate the sleeping pill. Take up meditation, yoga, exercise and also don't fear yoursel fand the meno. Read the book, All about bad nerves, it will help. Do you have any past hisotry of trauma, depression, etc? This can heighten during the menopause years. Be open with yourself, then you will heal.

Closed Thread