It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2006, 02:20 AM   #1
(female)

anitajane HB User
Pre Menopause Symptons

Hi

Ive read lots of threads regarding pre-menopause symptons and it just
makes you glad that you aren't on your own. Im 40.

Ive had very heavy periods for a long time now, but over the past
12 months or more, they have been getting closer together and lasting 7 days or more. I went to my GP a few months ago, as I had been suffering
with extreme tiredness, dizzy and light headedness. I did have a blood test done
to check if I was anaemic, I also had thyroid levels checked as I have
an underactive throid. The results were all fine.

What I am really frustrated at is that when I read all the things that
people seem to be going through on here, I can relate to them. Unfortunately,
my GP seems to think that as I am only 40, I cant possible be suffering
with pre-menopause symptons.

I have noticed over the past few weeks, I have started to get hot sweats, and also my period is late this time. I have muzzy headaches too.

I would welcome your opinions.

Old 07-02-2006, 02:40 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User
Re: Pre Menopause Symptons

Peri-menopause symptoms can start as early as 35. Many doctors won't admit to it, but it is so true. I started having heart palpatations at 35 with no other explanation. All the tests for heart problems were fine. You sound like you are having some of the peri symptoms. Things might get better for awhile, then other symptoms will crop up. That is how I have been living for the last 16 years. I am 51 now and having a combination of symptoms. I try to adjust to each symtom as best I can. If things get really bad, change doctors until you find one that can understand a womens' changing hormone problems. My regular doctor is a female and my age, she thought I was crazy when I told her about the troubles I was having. She has had no peri symptoms at all. My GYN is a male in his 30's and completely understood everything. He said he knows the symptoms are real, he has other women tell him the same thing everyday. Good luck, Ann

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2006, 03:52 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I wouldn't be going to a GP for gynecological issues. Find a good one...ask around to your friends. I changed to a female gyno because the male one said I had peri and gave me tranquilizers. Nope...wasn't taking those.

Old 07-03-2006, 01:28 AM   #4
(female)

anitajane HB User

Hi

Thanks for your advise. The GP I went to see was female, so I was
very surprised when she didnt seem to understand more. Im reluctant
to change GP as they are all very good. Maybe, if the symptons keep
happening, I will book myself in with one of the other's. Im just glad
I found this website, then you can relate to other people to, and
you are safe in the knowledge that you aren't just being paranoid.

CruisersS&C, you seem to have had a very long peri-menopause, that must
have been awful for you, especially as it is still continuing.

I just wish that GP's didnt stick to the rule book, and recognise that
people can suffer with symptons way before they are supposed to.

Thanks again.

anitajane

Old 07-03-2006, 08:06 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User

Anitajane,
I have been pretty lucky, most of the time I have had symptoms off and on, fairly far apart. The only lasting problem has been the heart palps. Last fall is when I got most of the other things, all at one time! My mother stopped having periods at 35, and that was it. No problems, she was just finished. So when they say you usually follow your mother pattern of perimenopause and menopause, that's not always true. I wish I would wake up one day and have this nonsense be finished too! Ann

Last edited by deinee; 07-03-2006 at 08:07 AM.

Old 07-03-2006, 01:50 PM   #6
(female)

Barbz615 HB User

Anitajane,
I'm also 40 and I've been doing this battle for approx 1 yr now. My gyn insists it couldn't be pre-menopause ... too young.
After alot of research I found that the symptoms I started out with a yr ago (waking at approx 5 am having an axiety attack) was no doubt hormonal. I've had all sorts of tests done and there is nothing left. It took a very long time but finding these boards really helped me piece it all together.
I am "textbook" symptoms of peri-meopause, even though my cycle is still regular, all the other symptoms are there.
My gyn has been great over the yrs but we are at odds with the terminology, she calls it bad PMS I call it Peri. Either way she is finally open to discuss a low dose of birth control to help.
There is alot of info on the net, but take the time to read the boards here and the frustration of it all will start to ease knowing it is not impossible for women our age to start hormone changes.
I even threw out a list of therapists given to me (as a last resort) after nothing came up in lab work when I took the time and find others going through the same exact thing
hang in there

Old 08-23-2006, 08:04 AM   #7
(female)

s cubed HB User

Doctors say too young too young to be going through the changes, I'm 43, but I say no. I think eventually doctors will have to start thinking that this happens over a long period of time and not just in ones 50's. The more and more celebrities come out with their stories of life changes and openly discuss this the more we will get our voices heard and along with that get some understanding and recognition. This affects all women eventually. I had changed gyno a few years ago because anytime I mentioned any kind of symptom he immediately wanted to put me on antidepressants or bcp. I'm the youngest of my friends and the only one that seems to be having any kinds of symptoms so I was so happy to see this forum.
Did I loose my train of thought on this one? sorry it seems to be anyother one of those wacky symptoms.
I'm hoping sooner that later that doctors will address this issue with an open mind and not label it PMS. Every woman is different and so are her symptoms. Not a one size fits all.

Closed Thread