It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2006, 08:52 AM   #1
(female)

angelavan HB User
Menopause or Alzheimers

I think I am losing what little bit of mind I have left. I'm 44 & have been having a lot of the symptoms of peri, like the night sweats, day sweats, headaches, tired, etc...... One thing though that is bothering me the most is my memory. I can not remember things. At first it was just little things, now my husband and friends seem to be concerened. Telling me I have asked them that 3 to 5 times, but I really do not remember. I have forgot to get car tags, pay bill and where I parked. It is also starting to bother me at work. Forgetting what I was just doing & what I am suppose to be doing. I feel like I have Alzheimers. Has anyone else had this problem? What were you able to do to help?

Old 07-05-2006, 09:42 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User
Re: Menopause or Alzheimers

Oh, yes....I used to pride myself for being able to grocery shop without a list. I definitely forget other things too. My symptoms (a long list!) really got worse about a year ago. Most have gotten a lot better, but I still seem to be forgetful. Going to the kitchen and then forgetting why I did or like the time I was helping my sis-in-law move and needed to go to her apartment to retrieve some things for her (about a 45 minute drive). About 2 miles into the trip I realized I'd left her apartment keys at home. This was after telling myself over and over: "don't forget the keys..."

I'm only 47 and I thought I'd never be this forgetful until I was more like 70! Anyway, my husband is quite forgetful also. And when he is distracted or stressed about something (like work), he doesn't remember things I (or others) tell him either.

So, you're not alone!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2006, 02:37 PM   #3
(female)

Wizard HB User

Hi:

I met up with a friend yesterday that I haven't seen in about two years. We're about the same age and got to talking about the hell of perimenopause. She said that she could remember being with her sister (5 years older) a few years ago and her sister commented that they'd have to go to the store to return an item she just bought. Her sister couldn't remember the name of the store no matter how hard she tried. It was Walmart.

My friend said that she just looked at her sister and said "that's not going to be me". She realized a few months ago that just like her sister, she was forgetting some of the simplest things.

On the plus side, I think that eventually, it does get back to normal. Hormones during peri are so out of whack that they affect everything.

Old 07-06-2006, 09:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

LOL I always wondered this myself. But yes, lack of estrogen does effect the memory. I have this problem every single day! Thought I had alzheimers too. But docs say no.

Old 07-06-2006, 11:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Oh yes, yes, yes... I've been down that road and still on occasion have the memory lapses.

It you were to read some of my earlier posts on this board you'd find a rather humorous post on this topic. Forgetting my only daughter's name one day was the boost that I needed to begin taking hormones. I don't think that hormones is the answer for everyone, but I know that compounded hormones surely has helped me .

My sister, who is also perimenopausal, has experienced the same thing and she also wondered if she had Alzheimers until I shared with her what I was also going through.

The stories that I could tell you about my memory lapses would have you in tears from laughter, LOL, .

Old 07-06-2006, 12:30 PM   #6
(female)

angelavan HB User

Well that makes me feel a little better that I have not had my brain sucked out by aliens (even though it feels like it) I had a cop stop me a couple of months ago and told me my tags were 6 months over due. I never use to forget stuff like that, or our taxes that are due every year the same month. This year I just forgot to pay them. It's almost like someone else is driving this body. Would like to hear ya'll stories too.

Old 07-06-2006, 02:13 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

oh i hear you. sometimes i will be doing something and just a few seconds before I told myself to do something and that very next minute I couldn't remember what I was suppose to do. Very scarey.

Closed Thread