HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Menopause (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/menopause/)
-   -   more questions (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/menopause/407149-more-questions.html)

Barbz615 07-05-2006 09:37 AM

more questions

Hello everyone,
I have another question .... has anyone been able to get the blood test done to confirm peri and when during the cycle was the test done?
my gyn tells me it is too difficult to pin-point the exact time hormones may be "acting up" .
many of symptoms vary from month to month and not always during the same cycle days. for example, today (day 7 of my cycle) I'm very weepy, last week I was very tired, alittle moody. Last month more moody but not tired and weepy on day 7 Does this sound familiar??

thanks for all the support and allowing me to go on and on about my concerns

angelavan 07-05-2006 12:29 PM

Re: more questions

Hey Barb,
I'm not sure about test & hormones. I go to the Dr next week so I''m sure going to ask him about testing to see where I'm at. I can not remember anything. It is starting to scare me a little, because I am forgetting so much. Mostly just short term stuff. Anyway, I'll let you know what he says about test and how we can find out where we are in the big "M" picture. Hang in there!! :)

katidid95 07-05-2006 06:06 PM

I've taken two saliva tests and was instructed to perform the test (you do it at home) later in the cycle. I think it was between days 21-25 or something like that. That is when your hormones are supposed to be at their lowest. I'm surprised your gyn did not know that. It seems to be a clue that he/she is not in tune with hormone problems. I use a compounded bioidentical hormone cream that contains estrogen, progesterone and testosterone (I'm low on all) and I take a smaller dose days 1-14 of my cycle, then double it days 15-28. It's been a little hard because for a while my cycles were 45 days! Actually the last couple of months they've been closer to 21-25. So I think that may be an improvement, if you can call it that - ha!

It's very possible since you notice changes on day 7, that is when your hormones start the downhill slide.

ainfante 07-06-2006 09:08 AM

I took blood tests during perimenopause and a biopsy. The tests came back normal but my gyne was able to spot through the biopsy that I was perimenopause and that I was not ovulating. You can have normal blood tests for a very long time because estrogen and progesterone store in the body's fat. YOu lose progesterone much quicker than estrogen. Hope this helps.

Barbz615 07-06-2006 01:52 PM

thanks for the help. Now I have more to take with me to the next appt. (19th) if she still has the blank look... onward to new doc.

ainfante 07-06-2006 02:10 PM

That's right, on to another doctor. I finally got lucky with my gyne who is also a endocronologist, she understands the peri meno completely.

pbjmom 07-06-2006 02:16 PM

I just had my blood work done by my GP. Apparently, I am fine (according to the blood work)...I don't feel fine. I have read on these boards that you need to have your individual hormone levels checked. My GP only ordered FSH and it was normal. I go to my Gyn in two weeks and I will take her the results and ask her opinion. Somewhere else on this board said that to determine peri is to go by symptoms, not bloodwork as it fluctuates day to day/hour by hour. Hope this helps!

Good luck!

ainfante 07-06-2006 02:18 PM

That's right!

Barbz615 07-07-2006 09:30 AM

I've been searching for that! My insurance book doesn't list more that one specialty, but I did find reprodcutive endocrinology????

Mistyeyze 07-07-2006 10:31 AM

FSH is an indicator, but I'm not sure when it kicks in during the peri years. If it is elevated, then I think that shows you are closer to menopause. My gyn only did FSH, and it was elevated, so it confirmed peri-- but maybe I'm closer to menopause....
It can all be very confusing-- good luck and keep us posted on what you find out.

MommaBee 07-07-2006 10:46 PM

From what my doctor told me is that the FSH test is only good for checking to see if you are in menopause, not peri. During peri, your hormones are on a roller coaster and this is why all the symptoms happen. So I have not bothered with the test yet. I am waiting until I have not had a period for at least 7 months before I do. I think it is just a waste (and making some drug company richer)!
JMO!

Barbz615 07-08-2006 06:48 AM

now see that makes sense! my gyn never even said that. all she said was it is very hard to pin-point the ups & downs day to get the accurate levels and too young, but she did tell me about low dose of birth control. (as I posted on the boards earlier) I will bring this info with me for my next appointment. This office visit will be for the symptoms and possiblitly of using BC

slimseeker 07-08-2006 09:27 AM

Hi Barb,

There must be something about the 7th day here..lol. I have noticed every 6th day I get that weepy, moody thing going and on the 7th day I start to spot. This has been happening off and on for 3 mos now. I will then spot for a few days, stop and bang start this 6th day mood thing and 7th day spot again.

I'm not sure about the hornone tests. I don't go to my gyne until aug. 4 so I will know more about such things..this is my first gyne appt. since going full force into peri-meno.

Good luck. You're right..it's nice to have others here to help us along with questions. this place has been a godsend to me :)
Hugs
slimseeker

Barbz615 07-09-2006 09:04 AM

This may sound alittle odd but I've been keeping track of this for almost a yr now I have calendars with check marks all over them
more than half of that time it starts around day 7/8 of my cycle, and seems to even out alittle between days 12-14, OVLUATION TIME.
I never spot during this and my cycle is more regular now than it's been in 20 yrs!

MommaBee 07-10-2006 05:01 PM

I feel fortunate that I have only had two "periods" this year. Both were only 3 days and so light that I really didn't think I was. Just alittle pink on the paper. I am hoping that I am almost ready to stop soon. I will be 50 in September.