It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2006, 07:27 PM   #1
(female)

chrismom HB User
Anything help for Bad PMS in early Peri?

Hi,

I am 39 and believe I am in early Perimenopause. My periods have gotten closer together (every 21 days now) and my PMS has gotten to be PMDD. The week before my period, I could not be more depressed, anxious, moody and irritable. IT usually passes when my period comes, but I still have on and off depressive symptoms.

I was just prescribed Prozac which is supposedly the "drug of choice" for PMDD. I'm not impressed after 2 months. It makes me feel numb vs. moody. Is this what they call relief?? I don't!

Has anyone had success with any medication or supplement to help with PMDD symptoms?

Thanks!

Chris

Old 07-07-2006, 06:07 AM   #2
(female)

angelavan HB User
Re: Anything help for Bad PMS in early Peri?

Well I'm on Paxil and it seems to help a little bit with the mood swings. They do not seem to be so high or so low. You might want to give it one more month before you go off your meds. I know it takes 1 month just to start working. I also take Ibuprophen about 5 days before I am going to start. It seems to help w/ the pain. I have tried RX meds for pain but they just put me out. My mom would not take anything when she started to go through this and no one could seem to be around her. Her mood swings were very high & very low. The Dr gave her hormones and antidepressent drugs. She would take them for a while and then stop. I could tell a difference in her attitude when she took them. I think they made her feel out of control. When in fact she was out of control without them. You might also ask those around you how you seem on the meds and off. From some of the other ladies on here I understand this will not last forever. It just feels like it. Hope you get to feeling better-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2006, 07:17 PM   #3
(female)

Wizard HB User
Re: Anything help for Bad PMS in early Peri?

Hi:

I tried the meds route (Clonanzepam) and just couldn't stand how it made me feel.

I've chosen instead to do a regular exercise program and I take B Stress vitamins, Flax seed oil, Omega 3-6-9's, magnesium and a multi-vitamin with ginseng and lysine in it. There was a study done on women with MS who had severe depression and the flax seend and Omegas were found to help relieve it.

I know it doesn't work for everyone, but so far, I'm managing the whole peri thing without resorting to anti-depression and anxiety meds.

Closed Thread