It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2006, 03:22 AM   #1
(female)

slimseeker HB User
Question Ever been told you have an autoimmune disorder and now feel it's only peri-meno?

Good Morning to you all,

Has any of you ever been told this, only to think maybe it's not autoimmune and that you're just going through meno?

I am 45 and for 4 yrs now been told I have an autoimmune disorder...actually fibromyalgia, but now that I am in peri-meno more I feel they were wrong and there is nothing wrong with me other than going through the change. It's not unusual to have peri symptoms at 41 either. The strange thing the rheumatologist never found anything positive in my bloodwork.

I now feel since going this year into I feel full blown peri now I have nothing wrong. I read online about menopause and its 35 symptoms and found they are the same symptoms as AI disorders. Interesting huh?

Thanks for sharing. I have this gut feeling that there are more of you women out there that have been told in their 40's they have an autoimmune disorder, yet are only going through the change. Did you know that like 95% of those with ai disorders are women????? I think it's all hormonal. I feel I've come across something interesting here and the medical community needs to re-evaluate these ai disorders and check more on hormonal effects on us going through the change.

Have a great day
Hugs
slimseeker

Old 07-10-2006, 06:04 AM   #2
(female)

angelavan HB User
Re: Ever been told you have an autoimmune disorder and now feel it's only peri-meno?

Yeah, I was told I "Might" have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I think like you it's PM. I have been going through it for about 4 years. Seems like I get to tack on more symptoms each day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2006, 11:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User
Re: Ever been told you have an autoimmune disorder and now feel it's only peri-meno?

YES!!! I thought for sure I had rheumatoid arthritis. Even was tested twice for it. My joints were just aching all the time. Someone mentioned that it could be menopause related (i'm 54 and just entering it ). I'm going to see a Holistic GYN in Sept . When I mentioned the reason for the visit she said .."oh yes., achy joints are pretty common with menopause". She's an M.D who specializes in womens health using natural ways. I may have my answer,and I will be very relieved to finally find out why i'm feeling so achy.

Old 07-10-2006, 02:00 PM   #4
(female)

Wizard HB User

I don't think I'd discount all autoimmune disorders. I have two that are definite disorders. One affects my ability to carry a child to term (both my boys were preemies) , the other affects my skin. I don't believe either has anything to do with peri.

I did wonder if I was getting RA since my dad had it and my joints were aching all the time. The doctor checked me out, said no, and I do believe that all my aches and pains are related to hormone adjustments as I go through peri.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:28 AM   #5
(female)

s cubed HB User

I just went to the gyn last week and described my symptoms. He to thought auto immune and suggested i see an endocronologist. I am 43 and have been have what seems like a new symptom everyday. I have tingling and burning sensations in my arms and legs, headaches, my biceps and calfs feel achy, sometimes my fingers feel like they don't want to work,insomnia (which annoys me to no end) total lack of labido and failure to reach orgasm(any one have that?). and itchiness. My doctor keeps testing my hormone levels and they are always normal -or the estrogen is slightly low because I'm usually ovulating when I go. I don't know what they were this time around. I' m waiting for his call.
It seems the only symptoms my doctor associates with peri is hot flashes,tiredness, headaches. According to so many sites and all you ladies there seems to be hundreds of symptoms. It's amazing what these hormones do to the body. My poor husband is so sick of hearing my hourly complaints.
It's nice to know that even though there are other sufferers I'm not alone and don't feel like I'm going crazy anymore.

Old 08-23-2006, 04:38 PM   #6
(female)

heitara HB User

I was tested for thyroiditis and resulted positive. My symptoms were: extreme fatigue, insomnia, weight gain, heart palps, itching (I spent neverending nights scratching my whole body that felt like tortured by spikes), moodyness, anxiety, a stifling sensation around my neck. I started to take the thyroid medicine and after a few months not only I wasn't feeling any better but my symptoms got worse. I was 48 and didn't think about peri until I spoke to my gyno. He suspended the medication and told me to him it was mainly peri-related. I started to feel much better almost immediately. Then peri exploded, I had it bad for almost two years and now that my periods are beginning to skip and to do funny things (showing me the sign that I'm getting closer) my symptoms are lighter. Uhmmm...well not tonight, since I'm pmsing and seeing no end to it!
Why do doctors know so little about menopause? Poor us....

"I'm not young enough to know everything". O. Wilde

Old 08-23-2006, 05:45 PM   #7
(female)

Les44 HB User

I have autoimmune hemolytic anemia. During treatment I had terrible cramps, lower back pain, waves of exhaustion and a myriad of other symptoms. I thought they were all part of the prednisone treatment but it turns out I have endometriosis and am in peri. Don't get too caught up in the autoimmune disorder symptoms because autoimmune symptoms often go into hiding. The problem is you just never know if it's part of the disease or the aging process. I truly can't wrap my head around it. That's why I've decided to have a hysterectomy and bypass peri and go directly to menopause. Could be a mistake but after nearly two years of dealing with BOTH autoimmune and peri I've decided I only need one major problem in my life.
Les

Old 08-29-2006, 07:47 AM   #8
(female)

canadianmom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimseeker
\

The strange thing the rheumatologist never found anything positive in my bloodwork.
There is no bloodwork to positively dx Fibromyalgia. I was dx in my mid 30's ...now 46 and in peri. I actually just started a thread about this as I am in more pain now then I ever have been!

Old 08-31-2006, 06:51 PM   #9
(female)

suelynn HB User

Kinda new here..I am almost 51, still hae reg periods, BUT...little things have been happening..or I should say big things..a year ago diagnosed with hyperthyroid..they say it's not enlaarged, no lumps on it, seem sit could autoimmune..interesting..then 4 mos ago I start chronic cough..after much testing and $, find out its LPR, an acid reflux that bypasses hearburn abd affects the throst:cough, flem etc..and it is HORRIBLE the 2 weeks prior and during my periods..but people think I am crazy..so there are more symptons than hot flashes, which I don't have.

Mu husband is so patient..listens..then leaves me alone..

What is the answer...and I have not experienced half of what I am reading here..it scares me

Sue

Old 09-03-2006, 07:32 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

Yep, my doctor had me originally tested for Graves Disease! I had no idea a few years ago when that happened that peri can start up to ten years before true menopause.

Nancy

Closed Thread