It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2006, 06:01 PM   #1
(female)

Wizard HB User
Natural Progesterone Cream - Question

Hi:

Does anyone here use Natural Progesterone cream and do you find it effective? I've been reading Before the Change by Gittleman and she often mentions it.

From what I've read, you use it from days 14-26 although I'm not sure I understand why since everything else I've read states that progresterone rises sharply from days 14-21 of a woman's cycle.

I have a really rough time right now from day 7-14 of my cycle when estrogen is rising but things are pretty well normal from days 15 -about 25 when estrogen levels off and progesterone starts rising. It has me wondering if my progesterone levels are too low during the first part of my cyckle. I've also heard that progesterone can really help with things like the tingling/burning sensation that I get in my legs.

Anyone have any info or results from having tried it? I'd like to talk to my doctor about it but want to have more info before I approach him.

Jo

Old 07-13-2006, 07:14 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User
Re: Natural Progesterone Cream - Question

Natural progesterone cream made my periods worse. I had developed an ovarian cyst and read Dr. Lee's book about how the cream could help cysts and heavy periods. It made things so much worse. My periods had been heavy before, but on the cream they were non stop and flooding. I followed the directions just like he said. I finally went on the pill to get my period to stop. I think I might have been low in estrogen, and I was just making things worse by adding too much progesterone into my system. Just my experience. Ann

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2006, 05:53 AM   #3
(female)

angelavan HB User

I have been on progesterone cream for about a year now and at first it helped w/ the hot flashes and my mood. I also do not have the vaginal dryness or big loss of sex drive. Just in the past few months I have started having my periods longer and heavier, and do not want anything to do w/ anyone. Just seem to be in a bad mood all the time. I go to the gyno today and see what he has to say about the progesterone cream and or taking some kind of estrogen. I'm guessing I'm getting low on estrogen and maybe anemic. I'll let you know what he has to say.

Old 07-14-2006, 08:13 AM   #4
(female)

Wizard HB User

Thanks Ladies.

I'm not having heavy periods, in fact, mine are lighter than they've ever been in my life. I was looking at the progesterone cream because I've read that it can really help with the burning/tingling sensation in my feet which is driving me bananas.

I'm guessing that I have some hormone that's off kilter but getting a doctor to test all the hormones is like pulling teeth. They've tested my FSH levels and told me that I'm not in menopause (gee, getting a period regularly, I knew that) but I haven't been able to talk the doctor into testing my hormones individually to see if one is off kilter compared to the rest.

I can't take estrogen due to blood clots but I could take the progesterone if it turns out to be the hormone that's low.

Let me know Angelavan what your doctor has to say.

Thanks Jo

Old 07-14-2006, 10:10 AM   #5
(female)

angelavan HB User

Wizard-
Seen my Dr and he said from the symptomes I am having that I was going to be one that has a harder time through this transition time. I asked him about testing hormones before menopause. He said there is no good test for that yet. He said if they knew what my hormone levels were when I felt my best at age 25 and he tested me now he would know where I should be, but because we are all so different and he has no base hormone level he has no idea what a good level for me is. He explained it's the way they use to test thyroid. The range was so large that people that should have been on meds for high were on meds for low and so on. I asked him about the progesterone cream and told him I could tell a differents when I first started to use it, but these past few months my symptomes were just getting worse and worse. He said because he felt I needed estrogen and gave me an estrogen patch. He said I should start feeling better by Sunday. So I'll let you know if it works or not. He did say that the women he has spoke to about the cream that it worked w/ some of the symptomes. So you might give it a try. It may take a week or 2 before you notice a difference. The thing I noticed was it stopped the hair on my face too. I no longer have the long side burns. Hope this helps. Angela

Old 07-14-2006, 12:17 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User

While your Dr. is right about not having a baseline from when you were 25, he IS wrong about testing. There are a few labs out there where you can purchase directly through them, do the test and then mail in for results. I do think it is best to do this with the guidance of a Dr. who is familiar with the testing and reading results.

The problem with using progesterone cream without testing is that you don't know if you are low and how low. Also, are you low in estrogen? If you are and you start using progesterone cream, then your homrones will be even more unbalanced. Balance is the key. Progesterone works mainly for women who are estrogen dominant. Some of the symptoms are the same for low and high estrogen, so symptoms alone are not necessarily a clue.

Your pursuit of finding the answers you want may lie with another Dr.

Last edited by mod-anon; 07-14-2006 at 11:10 PM. Reason: If you are replying to the post directly before yours, please do not quote the post. The server will run faster with fewer quotes. Thank you.

Old 07-16-2006, 10:57 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

I have used a natural compounded progesterone cream for 2 years and it has helped me tremendously! I am 49 years old and have been in peri for about 8 years now. Only 2 years ago when my periods became very irregular did I seek to find some help. I didn't want synthetic hormones or some doctor so just put a patch on me and set me on my way home. I found out that a pharmacist in our area was knowledgable about hormones and that she provides saliva testing and compounds her own creams. This was all done with the approval of my doctor also. I found I was a little high in estrogen and quite a bit low in progesterone and testosterone. I am on a 5% progesterone cream and 2% testosterone. I use 1 oz. of the cream on days 5-12 of my cycle and 2 oz. on days 13-26. This has worked for me. There have been the rare times I haven't used my cream right and it does mess up my cycle, but for the most part it's great. Also, most women are estrogen dominant. We get it in our foods like meat and dairy. But I would recommend the saliva test.
cindy

Old 07-30-2006, 09:03 PM   #8
(female)

christinev HB User

I just want to say that Dr. Lee talks a lot about the dangers of unopposed estrogen. If you're taking estrogen replacement I believe you must take some form of progesterone also to decrease risk of cancer.

Old 07-31-2006, 12:48 PM   #9
(female)

Korikins HB User

Chris.....it is my understanding that you need progesterone if you are taking estrogen and still have your uterus to avoid cancer there. My mother was on Premarin for 30 years after her total hystie, no progesterone. She never had one side effect from it.

Though I'm not planning on taking HRT, from what I've been reading, the doses for them are lower than BCPs.

Kori

Closed Thread