It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2006, 02:21 PM   #1
(female)

kaytee52 HB User
Fibrocystic Breasts

Hi...New to the boards.....I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with fibrocystic breast lumps in peri-menopause. I had known that I had fibrocystic breasts, but they have never given me any real problems except sometimes being extra sore....But 2 weeks ago, I discovered a large lump in my right breast that seemed to appear overnight. I was told when I went to check it out that it was a "fibrocystic ridge" and was told to get a mammogram for my peace of mind. Well, I suffer from anxiety disorder...and I was so frightened at the Dr's I didnt ask him any questions about why this happens all the sudden...I assume it was hormones....My periods are so irregular now....It's hard to say what part of my cycle I'm in..In the meantime over the 2 weeks period...the lump has nearly gone away, I can hardly find it now, although it feels slightly different from my other breast...If not for it swelling like that for 2 days...I'd never have noticed it.....I also went to a family Dr as well and got another diagnosis of the same kind.....and to get the mammogram....I still havent gotten any real answers about why this happens and how "normal" it might be for this to happen. I have my first mammogram ever on Monday and I'm terrified....even after being told by 2 different Drs this is "fibrocystic".....Any help would be so much appreciated...Thank you, kaytee

Old 07-15-2006, 10:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User
Re: Fibrocystic Breasts

hi kaytee. i'm 54 and 15 years ago i got my first breast cyst. i've had 8 or 9 aspirated (sucked out with a needle) since then. hadn't had any trouble for the last 3 years then last thursday found a huge lump which must have come up very suddenly or i would have noticed it. i've seen my gp and am waiting for the hospital to get in touch to have it checked out by an expert. i've had countless mamograms and ultrasounds over the years, they really are nothing to worry about, and it's actually reassuring afterwards to know that your breasts have been thoroughly examined. the doctor i used to see regularly about the lumps assured me that once my periods had stopped, so would the lumps. my last period was in january, the one before that september 2005, so i live in hope that they're nearly finished for good - hurrah!! try and remember that most lumps are totally harmless and very often are related to hormones (isn't everything?). good luck.

sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2006, 10:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

Kaytee,
I also had a fibrocystic ridge on my left breast about 15 years ago! I was only 34 years old at the time and really scared! My doctor decided to do a surgical biopsy and we found out it was benign. I was very relieved to say the least. My youngest was only 16 months at the time. I found it strange that the doctor didn't take the "ridge" out, but just a piece of it to test it. I can still feel it there, of course it's not as big. BUt anyway, just to let you know that I still have lumpy breasts, but they are not as sore as they used to be. I am in peri right now and use progesterone cream and it helps tremendously!
Cindy

Old 07-17-2006, 09:06 AM   #4
(female)

kaytee52 HB User

I want to thank you both for your information!...This sounds very much like what happened to me. I stopped any caffiene right after I found the lump and I'm not sure if that helped or it was hormonal....but it went down slowly and after 3 weeks I can hardly tell where it was....I had my mammogram today, my first at 54...and am so relieved to be able to report I was all normal. They said if it came back I could have an ultrasound, but nothing further needs to be done right now!....I, too, will be glad when the peri-part of menopause is over and things settle down. Again, thanks so much to you both for taking the time to reassure me....kaytee

Old 07-17-2006, 04:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

I have had cysts in my breast too, however I have not drank any caffienated drinks in years. (causes me to be on unedge and irritable) So it cannot be caffiene that is causing my cysts. The doctors have no idea what truly causes them.

I am sure that if it was caffiene that caused your cyst, then you would have had them years ago. So do not feel guilty if you have to have a cup of coffee every morning. I am sure it is not the cause.

Old 07-19-2006, 11:19 AM   #6
(female)

kaytee52 HB User

That was one of the first things they asked me....about caffiene. They really didnt give me much information at all.....just "get mammogram"....So when the lump went down I thought maybe it HAD been the caffiene, although I only drank tea...and have for years with no problem. One Dr did say pretty much what you told me...that they dont know what causes them or really what to do about them. I just drink decaffinenated tea and herbal tea.....but what you have told me will help me feel less guilty when I need the chocolate!!...

Old 07-19-2006, 04:18 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

I was checking out of the internet and a book (menopause without medicine) about breast cysts info and cures. The book and the internet site said that some physicians believe that it is Methylxanthines found in coffee, tea, soda and chocolate that cause breast cysts. It did not mention if drinking caffiene free tea was okay. (I drink caffiene free black tea and caffiene free green tea every day)

The book said that a group of women with fibrocystic breasts abstained from coffee, tea, chocolate, soft drinks and various drugs, all of which contain Methylxanthines, 65% became free of breast lumps in one to six months.

Unfortunately I love my caffiene free tea and have at least six unopened boxes of it. Well I am tired of freaking out with every lump (cyst) that I find in my breast. Then having to go through the mamogram, ultrasound and needle aspiration, then waiting for the lab results to give me peace of mind. So I am going to bite the bullet and cut out my tea. I already do not drink coffee and sodas (I wonder if them mean every kind of soda?) and I only eat chocolate occasionally because I am watching my weight.

I go back in January for a six month follow up mamogram and I hope my breast looks cyst free after six months of sacrifice.

I just wanted to share what I learned today. Thank you for your post, it encouraged me to check into what I can do to help myself.

Old 07-19-2006, 11:33 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

well you learn something new everyday! i've never heard of the problem with caffiene and cysts, in all the years i've been getting them and all the doctors i've seen. i have an appointment at the hospital next tuesday and i'm going to ask all about it. i stopped drinking caffiene about 15 years ago when i had a heart problem for a brief time, apart from one wake-up mug of coffee first thing in the morning (it's sitting next to me right now) but the only time a doctor has asked about it is in relation to blood pressure. thanks for the information ladies.

sue

Old 07-27-2006, 03:42 PM   #9
(female)

kaytee52 HB User

The caffeine question was the first one I got from 2 different Drs. ...and nods of approval when I told them I had cut it out. I, however, started drinking the caffiene free tea as well. I have never heard of there being anything other than caffiene in these drinks that could cause cysts. I agree.....I do NOT want to have to keep going back for mammograms and ultrasounds....I want to to try and make them not happen again!.....I certainly hate to give up all tea, though. I wonder if herbal tea is included?.....One Dr suggested that taking a small dose of Motrin might help....and I have read that soy products help...But one Dr also told me Drs arent really sure what causes them....He just called it "fibrocystic changes".....It's also true that tea actually has antioxidents in it that are supposed to be good for our immune systems....It's hard to know what to do!.......

Closed Thread