It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2006, 06:58 PM   #1
(female)

pollyjett HB User
Does this sound right for Dr. visit?

A couple of weeks ago, I went in for a pap smear and check up. I was/am having a little bleeding and am about 5-6 years post-menopausal, so I was concerned.

The dr. did not do a pelvic or anything other than a very rough pap smear. He mentioned inflammation and "some" bleeding. OK, I knew that much.

The receptionist assured me that the results would be in by one week, or maybe sooner. I waited a week and a half, before calling them to see about the results. The smear had not been sent to the lab until that Monday - meaning it sat in their office a solid WEEK, before being sent out.

I was floored. I don't even know if a pap smear specimen will stay good that long, and cannot think of any reason for them to let it sit there like that.

Finally got the results, and it was all negative/normal. I asked the lady what about the bleeding and was there something to do for it. She said to let her talk to the dr. and call me back. She calls back and announces that the dr. said the bleeding was from menopause.

As I mentioned before, I'm post-menopausal, and have been going to this dr. for several years and it should've been in their records. Anyway, I told the lady this, and she acted surprised and wanted to talk to the dr. again and call me back. She never called.

I'm just so frustrated. I was clear that I wanted some type of treatment or some suggestion or something about the bleeding and tenderness. What's causing it, and what can I do about it. This experience was so crazy. Plus, about 6 months ago, I tried to get this dr.'s office to schedule a mammography for me. Did they do it? Nope. It's been 4 years since I've had one.

Is this normal procedure for dr.'s? I'm going to look for another one soon, and probably get another pap smear/pelvic, but wanted to know if anyone else has had any experience like this? Do any dr.'s actually care about their patients anymore?

I still don't know why I'm bleeding and why I'm so "inflamed" and irritated, or what to begin to do about it, and far be it from me to call the dr's office anymore trying to find out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2006, 07:13 PM   #2
(female)

kaytee52 HB User
Re: Does this sound right for Dr. visit?

Well, all I can do is give you my personal opinion and I can say that "No, this does NOT sound right for a Dr visit"!!....If a Dr treated me that way, I'd be looking for a new one right away. You still have symptoms that are obviously worrying you....no real professional concern was shown. Also in my experience, most Drs cant send you for a mammogram fast enough!....You had to ask and nothing was done....Ask a friend or someone you trust to recommend a new Dr....kaytee

Old 07-14-2006, 08:17 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User

Please see another doctor. Post-menopausal bleeding can happen from time to time, but it needs to be looked into further than just a pap. You need to see if there could be some changes in the endometrial tissue of your uterus. Do you take HRT? There can be different reasons for the bleeding, but all avenues need to be checked out. Sounds like your doctor and his staff need to be reported. That is extremely poor patient care. They need a visit from the AMA! Ann

Last edited by deinee; 07-14-2006 at 08:18 PM.

Old 07-14-2006, 08:40 PM   #4
(female)

pollyjett HB User

Thanks for the replies. No HRT. I think it may have to do with vaginal atrophy, and irritation/inflammation, but still need to be sure for my peace of mind, AND, hopefully a remedy for the situation.

I don't know who to report a dr. to. If I'm not mistaken, he is not in the AMA.

This whole thing has left me feeling a little stressed and down. I feel like something is wrong with me (bleeding, tenderness, inflammation), and dread the thought of sex because of the worry about bleeding. Can't believe I can't even discuss this with my dr, to try to find a solution.

Last edited by pollyjett; 07-14-2006 at 08:53 PM.

Old 07-15-2006, 04:03 AM   #5
(female)

CynAnn HB User

Hi Pollyjett,

no way, does what you stated sound right for a doctor visit. I too would be so frusterated. I would find me a new Doc, no doubt about it.

Take care, Cyn

Old 07-19-2006, 10:50 AM   #6
(female)

bowriter HB User

By all means, see a different doctor. Just yesterday, I had my first menopause counseling at my doctor's office. He is going to start me on HRT next week. He said that if any bleeding, even spotting occured, to call him to get it checked out. They can do a vaginal ultrasound (a probe is inserted into the vagina) and this can check out the uterus. If the ultrasounds gives back suspicious data, they can proceed with a DNC to get a better idean of what's happening. I can't believe he didn't check this or run an ultrasound. My doctor is going to do an ultrasound on me as "routine" for now to see how everything looks before at the onset of HRT. That way, if I have any problems during the next couple of months, it could be pill-related (dosage, etc). They just want to give me a clean bill of health for the record.

And also, get a mammogram done . Go to the local vans as they drive around from place to place. Or when you go to the new doctor, have them schedule you one. I just lost a close friend to breast cancer. This should never go unchecked.

Good luck!

Closed Thread