It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2006, 10:46 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User
Endometrial biopsy

My friend just told me that she had a endometrial biopsy performed last Thursday. She is 48 years old and had experienced some irregular periods (I know this is common at this age). Well, for some reason her doctor wanted to do a vaginal ultrasound and they found that her endometrial lining was 3 times the thickness that it should be. So they did the biopsy and she won't know the results for a few days. She is so nervous. I have tried to tell her that I am sure it's hormonal related. I know enough to know that excess estrogen can cause this. Has anyone else ever had this? I just want to be able to reassure her. Thanks.
Cindy

Old 07-17-2006, 06:23 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

marymk HB User
Re: Endometrial biopsy

Hi Cindy,
I had this done last year when I was 47. I was, and am still having some irregular periiods, and yes it's very common at this age. My lining was also thick, but I don't know how much so.

I worried awful, but my results were 'no abnormalties found', so you friend shouldn't worry yet. Also, the lining can be thicker at certain times of the month - this is normal. I just think the Dr's want to check things out and catch anything that might be happening at an early stage. Most women my age that I've talked to, and have had this done, have all been fine.

They did find a couple of ovarian cysts when I had my ultrasound,(had no symtoms of them) and I been having these followed since then. They keep resolving and recurring with my cycles - I understand this is common at the pre-menopause age also. It's all related to our hormones going crazy, before menopause sets in.

Hope this helps - your friend should be fine. I know that it's not easy to not be worried - I've been there.

Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2006, 01:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

Thanks, Mary, for the encouraging words. She said she would call me when she heard her results, but I haven't heard from her yet. I, too, think all is well. Thanks a lot.
cindy

Old 07-23-2006, 10:55 AM   #4
(female)

daklrta56 HB User

Hi Cindy,

Was interested in your post, I have supposedly been in menopause for close to 8 years. I started having cortisone shots in my back for herniated discs, and wound up having a very heavy period after the first set of shots on 5/31/06. The pain dr. I see said that in all likelyhood it was the cortisone. My gyn disagrees. I am a very heavy gal, and according to her, my weight created excess estrogen in my body and caused the bleeding. After having a trans-vaginal ultrasound the findings were the same as your friends. The lining of my uterus is also 3-4 thicker than it should be. Unlike your friend though, she doesn't want to schedule a biopsy, she's putting me into the hospital for a day surgers for a D&C getting real nervous now. I hope your friend has made out okay, take care.

Last edited by daklrta56; 07-23-2006 at 10:58 AM.

Old 07-23-2006, 11:20 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I did get a call from my friend saying that her test was benign. They are starting her on some progesterone pills to try and reduce the excess estrogen. I have another friend with the same problem, and like you, her doctor ordered a D & C. My aunt has had one and she came through it fine - no big "deal" as she said. I guess it just depends on your doctor as to what they decide to do. I, like you, am a little on the big side, and that usually means excess estrogen. I did do a saliva test 2 years ago, and mine came back as - a little excess estrogen, much way too low in progesterone and testosterone. So I use a natural progesterone cream. It has helped me in a number of ways. Good luck with your procedure. I'm sure it will be fine.
Cindy

Closed Thread