It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2006, 09:20 AM   #1
(female)

rw82 HB User
Just curious...

I went to my gyn (female) for my pap and mamogram. I haven't had a period since November so she is running all the hormone stuff. I know I'm in peri because of this and all the other great stuff that comes with it.

Anyway, the anxiety and not sleeping very good has started up again so I ask if she would write a script for ativan. I was really surprised when she said no she didn't do that. It embarrassed me because it was like I was asking for something bad. I told her I would ask the doc I see for HBP. He had given it to me before because of anxiety when the heart palps started. I very seldom took them at night before bed and never during the day.

It's really no big deal. I know from reading the board that a lot of us take something for anxiety and sleep problems and as I said was just surprised she wouldn't prescribe it.

Thanks for listening,
RW

Old 07-18-2006, 12:41 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User
Re: Just curious...

I'm surprised because so many doctors now days seem so "happy" to write prescriptions. I don't know much about Ativan, but if it has helped you in the past with anxiety, etc., she could have at least given you a small supply until getting the results of your hormone tests to see what the next plan of action would be.

Don't feel embarassed. Many women these days are using antidepressants and antianxiety prescripts for help. Did she at least offer anything else? Like a small supply of Ambien for when you haven't slept in a few nights? (At the very least...)

When I was having a lot of problems about a year ago, I actually had gone to my GP first because I had no idea it was peri. So she did give me Ambien and Klonapin (?) to take when really needed (I still have some in my possession because I really only took them when I was desparate). She was also willing to give me antidepressants or similar if needed. The gyno I found deals mostly with bioidentical hormones and natural remedies. She liked to try other things first, but probably would have given me what I asked for if nothing else was working.

I guess what I'm saying is that you may have to work with your GP also to help with symptoms, although that's just another office visit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2006, 04:09 PM   #3
(female)

rw82 HB User

Thanks for the reply kati,

My GP (male) is great and didn't hesitate to send me to a cardiologist to check out the palps and he prescribed ativan and zoloft. I took the zoloft for about 6 months and it really helped. The ativan I took randomly at night to help me sleep. I'm like you I still have some ativan left but it is out of date.

The only problem with my GP was he didn't think I was peri even though I was having so many symptoms and KNEW I was. My husband even thought the palps were coming from that.

I like my GYN and I am comfortable with her - at least until yesterday (wearing my feelings on my shoulders I guess).

I'll wait for my results and then go to my GP.

Thanks again,
RW

Old 07-18-2006, 04:11 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User

I love how doctors think if they give you anything more than a Benadryl these days your going to turn into a drug addict! I have taken Xanax for years, off more than on, and have not had to check myself into rehab yet. If some of these holier than thou doctors had a few of these symptoms for just a day, I bet they would be taking anything they could get their hands on. I also get tired of being talked to at a doctors appt. like I'm a 3rd grade student. I have a college degree and can understand some big words! Stand your ground and don't let them intimidate you. Thinking by doctors that "going thru the change" is all just crying and hot flashes has to change. There are real physical changes occuring and need to be dealt with. Ann

Old 07-18-2006, 04:42 PM   #5
(female)

rw82 HB User

Hey Ann,
I guess that's the problem I have with my GYN saying no, I don't do that (a script for ativan). Heck, she is a female and said she was not far behind me. So I just felt like she of all docs would be helpful.

Up until the racing heart the most I ever took was an ibuprofin and I was never sick !! So when the night sweats, the palps, and all the other fun things we go through hit, I was TERRIFIED.

RW

Old 07-18-2006, 08:40 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

The female gyno I go to also will not write a script for ADs for peri. Her attitude is that it's a hormonal problem and should be handled with hormones. I quit my male gyno because he gave me a script for belladonna when I started into peri. Sorry, I did that stuff in the 60's and I'm not doing it again. My druggie hippie days are long past....

Old 07-19-2006, 07:07 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User

Belladonna! I didn't even know they still made that anymore. Boy, does that bring back memories. I worked in a phychiatric hospital shortly after college and all the patients were on Belladonna. Maybe it's time for that doctor to retire! Another example of how doctors don't consider our symptoms to be real medical problems. Give all these "crazy" ladies a pill or a hormone patch or cream and send them on their way and pray they don't call back. So little research is done about a woman's changing hormones that doctors don't know what to do. My friends son in a GYN and he said he had 4 hours in med school about prescribing hormones. Go figure. Ann

Closed Thread