It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2006, 12:45 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User
PMS and Peri

My period is suppose to start today, but for the last couple of days...in reality for about the last two weeks, I've been feeling sad, blah, anxious, spurts of anxiety, feel like I'm in a fog, jitters, moodiness, morning anxiety, irritable, low noise tolerance, aches and pains in my back, wrist, fingers, knee and shoulders. Let me not leave out moments of feeling lightheaded, spacey and unreal.

What is going on! I've been taking dhea for about a week and I'm wondering if it could have produced some of these symptoms. I haven't felt like this in many months. I'm exercising more and eating healthier than I have in my entire life.

I just want to feel "normal" everyday, every hour of the day. Sigh...............

Thanks for allowing me to vent. I know that this will pass.

Old 07-20-2006, 03:01 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

marymk HB User
Re: PMS and Peri

Hi,
I don't know anything about the dhea, but I can tell you that my PMS has gotten much worse since I've been in peri. I have many of the same symptoms, mostly the anxiety - (in sputs also) and blah. You mentioned noise intolerence - I didn't realize it until now, but I have that big time. I think it may even bring on the anxieity.
Some months it seems to never go away. Just last night I was telling my husband, I don't know what it's like to feel normal anymore. I was having a particularly bad day, and it's two days after my period ended - go figure.

I guess I needed to vent too - sometimes I wonder how women live through all this.

Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2006, 06:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

we live through it simply because we ARE women, strong and sensible, and able to talk to each other and ressure each other. look at this board, all the knowledge, help and empathy available at our fingertips. these awful symptoms do, for the vast majority, get so much better just with patience and sharing our experiences. and a big sense of humour!!

sue

Old 07-21-2006, 08:01 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

marymk HB User

Sue,
You are so right - thank you for your uplifting response. This board is a life saver.

Mary

Old 07-21-2006, 08:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpool sue
we live through it simply because we ARE women, strong and sensible, and able to talk to each other and ressure each other. look at this board, all the knowledge, help and empathy available at our fingertips. these awful symptoms do, for the vast majority, get so much better just with patience and sharing our experiences. and a big sense of humour!!

sue

Ditto!

Old 07-21-2006, 09:23 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User

Hopefully:
I'm not sure about the DHEA actually causing symptoms. The tricky thing with hormones is that they must be in balance for us to feel good. Did you have your hormones tested to find they are low? My gyno included DHEA in her recommendations to me along with my bioidentical hormones. I take the DHEA by pill and the rest are in the cream. DHEA is made by the adrenal glands, and gradually declines with age. I think it helps balance out our other hormones and interacts with them.

It could be a coincidence or it could be that your hormones are changing and your needs of replacing them are changing.

I've been on the hormones for about a year now and I can say that I feel much, much better. I do still have times where my heart skips a beat or races, or a feeling of anxiety/panic, or just overall fatigue for a few days. Since I feel good MOST of the time, I can just write it off and know that I'll probably feel better tomorrow. I just hate it sometimes because it makes me feel old (or older than I am - 48).

Old 07-21-2006, 09:30 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

ladies, you are sooo welcome. i'm on top of things at the moment so it's easy to be positive, but i know i've found these boards to be so helpful at times, just reading what everyone else is going through and realising i'm not some sort of freak. i have 2 sons (both left home now) and a really lovely husband, but there have been times when i know they've not understood, in the smallest way, how i've felt. being the only female in the house has made me, sometimes, feel like an alien. i find these boards a tremendous help, particularly over recent months with the onset of hot flushes, memory lapses, teenage-like acne (no-one told me about that one!), etc. i don't post often, but i read them everyday. go girls!!!!

sue

Old 07-21-2006, 03:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katidid95
Hopefully:
I'm not sure about the DHEA actually causing symptoms. The tricky thing with hormones is that they must be in balance for us to feel good. Did you have your hormones tested to find they are low? My gyno included DHEA in her recommendations to me along with my bioidentical hormones. I take the DHEA by pill and the rest are in the cream. DHEA is made by the adrenal glands, and gradually declines with age. I think it helps balance out our other hormones and interacts with them.

It could be a coincidence or it could be that your hormones are changing and your needs of replacing them are changing.

I've been on the hormones for about a year now and I can say that I feel much, much better. I do still have times where my heart skips a beat or races, or a feeling of anxiety/panic, or just overall fatigue for a few days. Since I feel good MOST of the time, I can just write it off and know that I'll probably feel better tomorrow. I just hate it sometimes because it makes me feel old (or older than I am - 48).

Kat, I agree with you about my hormones changing again. I recently received the results from my saliva test and my progesterone, estrogen, testosterone and dhea are all below the minimum. When my doctor saw the results she asked me if I'm always having hot flashes...ah...yes!!!!!!!!...not only hot flashes but drenching sweats, mood swings, sadness, mild depression, anxiety, insomnia, feeling weepy, spacey, light headed...you know the rest.

I was prescribed compounded progesterone and biest cream plus dhea in the pill form. I've been using compounded progesterone cream for about 9 months and doing fairly well, but I was always tweaking my dosage based upon my symptoms. The way that I feel now and some of the symptoms that have re-appeared I've not had to deal with in about 8 months.

Kat, how much dhea are you taking and what other hormones are you using?

Thanks!

Closed Thread