It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2006, 10:16 AM   #1
(female)

Barbz615 HB User
"We'll call it PMS" gyn said

Hello everyone,
I went to the gyn Wed. we sat in her office feeling alittle rushed, I rambled on and on about what's been going on for far too long now and I need answers and want to feel better ASAP
She asked me only a few questions about changes in my cycle, and where I got the Klonopine from .... did I have a physciatrist, once I heard that word I was set to walk out
I told her about every symptom, and the pattern I found keeping track for approx 1 yr, she looked alittle confused and she still had nothing to say execpt she will give me the low dose of birth control (loestrin) that would help level out any hormone imbalance. This was the first and only time I've heard her acknowledge "hormone". Otherwise she didn't seem to have any answers or advice.
While checking off the sheet for the receptionist she said "UMM, WE'LL JUST CALL IT PMS"
She just handed me 3 packs of pills and sent me on my way. Now just waiting for next Wed/Thursday to start it. Imagine looking forward to getting my period I'm hoping by staring this on day 1 I may have a better chance at intercepting the symptoms that start at day(s) 7/8 ????????
I left there pretty angry BUT I did get the 3 month supply of pills. The receptionist saw I was due for my annual exam in Sept and asked if I wanted to make the appt and I told her no, I'll call later to shedule, I'm giving some very serious thought about changing docs.
The only good thing that came out of this appointment was the Loestrin, I read an article about it written my a Doctor/Teacher at NYU who wrote a book about peri-meno. I wrote down that pill to ask her about it, but she mentioned it first.
Reading the interview made alot of sense and he does metion Loestrin as one of the medications used for women over 40 for peri-menopause. I'm thinking about buying the book
I highly recommend reading DELETED

Last edited by mod-anon; 07-21-2006 at 11:11 PM. Reason: do not post commercial websites

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2006, 10:35 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

marymk HB User
Re: "We'll call it PMS" gyn said

Hi Barb,
Sorry to hear about your frustration with your doctor. Is this a new doc or someone you've been seeing a while. I find that sometimes you expect the doc to be just as upset about your issues, but - let's face it, they see it all day and are probably a bit - shall we say, used to it. Not to make light of your situation, as I am totally in the same place with my peri/pms symptoms.
My doc alwasy seems very calm,cool and collected and I go in there all hyped up about something. Yes, it almost seems as if she 'doesn't care' , but I know she is very good and I trust her with my issues.
I am curious about the Loestrin. The last time I had an appointment, I asked about giving me something, and she suggested a natural approach - evening primrose oil, calcium, and vitamins. I thought because of my age (48), was the reason she didn't offer the pill. I go back in a couple of weeks and plan on doing some research before then.

On a side note, a couple of years ago my husband had a brain tumor (benign), and needed surgery. His Doc. atted very calm and non-chalant about drilling into his brain (that's actually what he did) and told us we need to calm down. Well - easy for him to say, it wasn't his brain that was being invaded. I'm sure he was like this because he sees it all the time and operating on the brain is common place for him.

Good luck with the pills. I hope they work for you.

Mary

Old 07-21-2006, 10:52 AM   #3
(female)

Barbz615 HB User

I've been seeing this doc for awhile. I could have gone in with high expectations, she had really nothing to say and her confused look while she took notes was a concern.
I have time to make the decision and to give the pills a test run, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this works since the symptoms come and go. seems 3 months of hell, 4 months I'm great etc, it's like an on/off switch.
[DELETED]

Last edited by mod-anon; 07-21-2006 at 11:13 PM. Reason: do not post commercial websites

Old 07-21-2006, 11:15 PM   #4

mod-anon HB User

Please honor your membership agreement. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Product names are allowed.

Websites are not.

Closed Thread