It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2006, 07:53 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

viktik HB User
What happens to you physically when the anxiety is at its worst?

Hi everyone,

I have noticed that when the anxiety is at its worst, I get a really heavy feeling in my chest, neck and shoulders. Also, it feels as it someone is pulling down on that part of my body (don't know how else to explain that one!) I also feel like there is a boulder in my stomach, and I seem to shake and get those awful internal tremors, as well as the buzzing in my feet and the feeling of bugs crawling under my skin. I'm a mess!! These feelings always seem worse at night...

Anyone else get any of these wonderful little feelings??

Have a good Saturday everyone!!

viktik

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2006, 09:42 AM   #2
(female)

Wizard HB User
Re: What happens to you physically when the anxiety is at its worst?

Hi:

You've described a lot of the way I feel. I get very tingly in the legs (sometimes it becomes a burning like my feet are on fire), my shoulders and neck ache, I get a lump in my throat, I get so jittery that I'll realize I'm sitting down but that I'm shaking or tapping my foot non-stop. I haven't done that since I was a teen and first became hormonal. I often become nauseated and then afterwards, when the anxiety subsides, I become just plain tired out.

I've been working hard at trying to control the anxiety through exercise, vitamin supplements and deep breathing exercises. I really don't want to turn to continual use of AD drugs but I have to admit, I never feel really great anymore.

Some months, the anxiety is just at certain parts of my cycle, other months, it's like it's just continuous.

Jo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2006, 10:22 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User

I get alot of the heaviness in my chest and back. Some days my head feels like it is too heavy for my neck. Being lightheaded has entered into my list of symtoms too. What fun! Ann

Old 07-22-2006, 11:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User

I take an anti-anxiety drug called "Ativan". It can be taken "as needed" rather than a daily dose as with ADs.. It really helps me, especially at night. For me, the combination of anxiety and no sleep is really miserable. If I can at least get a good nights sleep a couple nights a week, I can handle the anxiety much better if I'm not so exhausted.

Old 07-22-2006, 01:11 PM   #5
(female)

Korikins HB User

I experience alot of what you are having. My biggest problem is my stiff neck and wooziness. Sometimes it can really take it out of you.

Sometimes I feel like I've been in the pool for a long time and just got out. That heavy feeling you get when gravity hits you again. My legs and arms feel like they weigh a ton!

Kori

Old 07-22-2006, 02:30 PM   #6
(female)

slimseeker HB User

Hi,

I get where I feel very nervous with pent up frustrations. I shake inside and also get that bug crawling under your skin thing. The bug crawling thing is worse when I lay down to bed at night. I think it's worse then because you're laying there still trying to go to sleep whereas in the daytime we get preoccupied more and feel it a little less. I get panic like feelings when this strikes...and boy does it strike worse before my period. I have actually blown up to my poor hubby and even swore at him using fowl language I would never any other time use. Then I feel better after I release this. Poor hubby lol. But he's been VERY understanding.

I hope you feel better. You are never alone here

Hugs
slimseeker
P.S. Does anyone feel as I described above???????

Old 07-23-2006, 02:26 PM   #7
(female)

1awesomegranny HB User

My anxiety usually comes on fast from any number of things, and its like a heated rush of adrenalin or something at first, then settles into whatever mode it wants to that day, and yes sometimes its the heavy feeling, sometimes trembling, lately its been a dull ache at the base of my head where it meets my neck in back...and my neck and shoulders are tense most of the time too. I've also been lightheaded or foggy brained. I occasionally take ativan when it gets horrible for me, but trying to just work thru it for the most part. I haven't really noticed any specific times when its better or worse, seems to be there all the time!! For me, before my period, its rage!
Conni

Old 07-23-2006, 03:11 PM   #8
(female)

Korikins HB User

Granny, this is what happens to me as well. I can't remember the last time my neck hasn't ached, right where you said. It's worse on some days than others, but it seems to be always there. Going to a chiropractor has helped me with this, and she said my neck muscles are tight from stress and anxiety. I also have the wooziness that comes and goes. All of the sudden it's just there! This is what bothers me the most, these two things.

I'm still at a loss for what to do about all of this. Just ride it out or what. Some days are so hard.

Kori

Old 07-23-2006, 06:23 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User

My anxiety feelings are rapid heart rate and a tingling feeling, like a rush of adrenaline. About a year ago it was out of control - I thought I had some horrible disease or ailment. It wasn't until everything else was ruled out that I figured out perimenopause. Actually, my Mom had been reading "The Sexy Years" and suggested my problems might be related to menopause. I hadn't a clue that it could create this much misery!

I also get a tight chest along with neck and shoulders. Since I've been on bioidentical hormones (plus supplements) I've had a great improvement. Some times I do still feel little bouts of anxiety symptoms and I can't really pinpoint it to a time of month. I used to seem to have more symptoms toward my period, but lately I've been feeling a little anxious (almost always at night) and I'm in the first part of my cycle. Go figure...

Old 07-23-2006, 06:31 PM   #10
(female)

Korikins HB User

Kati.....may I ask which hormones you are using and what supplements?

Thanks,

Kori

Old 07-24-2006, 12:13 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User

The hormones are in a compounded cream: estrogen, progesterone and testosterone. These were adjusted after 6 months (after a saliva test), which was about 4-5 months ago. I probably need to have another test done to see where I'm at in a few months (but I need to find a new Dr. as I've moved to another state).

The supplements I take that relate to peri are Magnesium (between 350-500mg), DHEA, a combination fish/flax oil, potassium, iron. I also take a multivitamin, calcium, CoQ10 and valarian to help me sleep at night.

It's hard to say which of any of these has helped the most, except maybe the hormones. I also believe my diet wasn't the best 1-1/2 yrs. ago when things were at their worst for me. I had switched from a high carb diet to a low carb-high protein diet. I don't think it was balanced enough - not enough fruit and veg. I think I was low in magnesium and potassium and I think these supplements have definitely helped. Although I will say that I've read bad things about taking too much potassium, so it's not something I'd recommend without a discussion with your Dr.

I have always exercised (mainly jogging) and luckily have not had a weight problem. I've done my best to keep up (jogging 3-4 times per week) and added walking 4-5 times per week, even if it's only 20-25 minutes. I was doing weight training for a while, but had to give up when we moved. Hopefully, can get that going again. I think diet and exercise can have a BIG impact on how I feel. I also had to give up caffeine.

Hope this helps.

Closed Thread