It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2006, 09:04 PM   #1
(female)

Korikins HB User
The Other Side

Is there anyone who posts on this board that has gotten through this and is on the other side and normal again?

I'm having a rough time tonight and I just can't see any end to it. I wanna feel normal again. Does it ever get better?

Kori

Old 07-23-2006, 07:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User
Re: The Other Side

Hi Kori
Well I had my last period in early 2001. So I guess you could say I'm on the Other Side of it! I had my worst symptoms after the periods stopped, but that's just me. Everyone is different.
Believe me it does get better. But honestly I don't think we ever get back to feeling "normal" again. But you DO get through it without going crazy, it won't kill you (as many of us have thought it would!) and you will find ways to cope with the annoyances brought on by it. You do get back to enjoying life again, believe me. But it is different, and our bodies do change and age, and with aging comes it's own set of problems.
Best I can tell you is to fight back now! Exersize, eat healthy, find things you love to do and enjoy your life all that you can.
We'll never be young again, but we can keep a young attitude. Stay active.
Yes, there is hope. IT does get better.
Hellas

P.S. Oh...and the ladies here are all great and the support is the best life-saver during these times!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2006, 07:36 AM   #3
(female)

daringdarina HB User

I'm not one for posting much but I wanted to share my experience.

I think I am "on the other side", no period since February 2006. I am 51.

For 2 + years prior to this I had very weird periods, not the normal mid cycle spotting but a normal period , stopped for a day, then spotting for up to 2 weeks, scared me silly. I was convinced I had cancer but waited at least a year to see a gyn, had D&C etc, no cause. What really annoys me about all this is that I never put 2 and 2 together and thought about menopause. I asked my gyn what was causing the bleeding but she never mentioned menopause either, I still can't figure that one out?

The only thing I knew about menopause was hot flashes and night sweats and quite frankly I thought that was a lot of baloney, I figured that only women with too much time on their hands had these problems!! Don't hate me yet.

Between all the worry etc. I developed high blood pressure, I think. About 1 year ago I had huge anxiety problems, i found it hard to drive, one day I was driving to work and thought I was having a heart attack. At this point, I thought "fine, so be it". I was very negative in all my thoughts but never realised how bad I was until later. I had a problem in that I did not like my regular doctor. Like most of you I had rarely seen a doctor until I entered this wonderful phase of my life so the fact that I didn't like her was not a big deal until now.

I started to lose a lot of weight, and I think now that it was all that anxiety that caused me to lose my appetite. For those of you that have gained weight I know it is horrible but trust me that weight loss is a lot scarier, think about it.

I found a great new male doctor, I've been tested for just about everything and all is OK, except that I do still have high blood pressure but I think that will fix itself in time (I think it is the anxiety thing that caused it). He prescribed a medication for high blood pressure which also works on anxiety and it saved my life!. After a couple of days on it I realised how bad I had really been.

I have not had a period since February and I now feel great. Almost back to my old self. I did have a lot of hot flashes in March (none before this) and for those of you who have these all the time you have my sincere sympathy. They really really are awful. Thankfully I now just have an odd one here and there and it really is not a problem,

I have started weaning myself off the high bp/anxiety med and am thinking maybe I still need it, the negative thoughts are rearing their head now and again. We'll see.

I'm still not thrilled with my gyn, I had a regular one year visit recently and all she asked me about were hot flashes and night sweats. I got the impression that this is the only symptom of menopause that she will accept. For me, this couldn't be further from the truth, hot flashes were the least of my problems, truly.

So, I am out the other side (I hope), feel great, great figure (size 4), tons of energy, and while life will never be the same (kids gone, miss them like crazy), life is good again and I am so glad not to have my period anymore and all the fear of the awful spotting/bleeding.

I hope this story will help those of you going through this to hang in there, be strong and know that things will eventually be better.

Old 07-24-2006, 09:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Daring...thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!!! I truly needed to read your post as I sit here with the blahs and several other peri symptoms. I look at my mother and aunt who are both on the other side and they are energetic and active. My mother is so much more positive and inspirational since becoming postmenopausal.

I've met other postmenopausal women who are not totally symptom free, but their occasional symptoms are mild and not constant. The two women that I know were able to shed the majority of their peri weight, which is an issue with me, and like my mother and aunt they are more energetic and feel better now than they have in years. They are enjoying life on the other side.

What med. are you taking that helps with your bp and anxiety?

Thank you again!

Old 07-24-2006, 11:14 AM   #5
(female)

Korikins HB User

Darina.....what med are you on for you BP and anxiety? My doctor gave me Tenormin in January when I had my first "spell" and my heart was racing and my BP, which is usually low normal, was very high. I take it once a day. Like you I think it's the stress of all of this. To help me sleep when I need it, he gave me a mild AD called Trazodone HCL which really helps. I get at least 6 hours of straight sleep. I only take this at bedtime.

I personally think if I can get this stress/anxiety under control, I'd be much better off.

Anyone have any suggestions for this? Thanks!

Kori

Old 07-26-2006, 04:48 AM   #6
(female)

daringdarina HB User

Hi Hopefully and Korikins,

The med is Toprol Xl, I was put on 25 mg. It did nothing for my bp but it really helped with the anxiety. I was then put on lisinopril also, this worked for the bp.

Yes, the anxiety is a horrible symptom but our bodies are changing and we are having symptoms and body changes that are all new for us so it is not too surprising that we develop this anxiety. I think I have been in a doctor's office more in the past year than in my whole entire life before this, that alone causes anxiety. Plus, all the tests and waiting for results etc. takes its toll on you. I'm just happy to report that I am feeling so much better now.

My doctor wanted me to get a colonoscopy and the very thought of even doing that 6 months ago threw me for a loop but I was able to do it last month without a problem.

So hang in there, if your symptoms are really bad it probably means you are coming to the end, at least in my experience, and things will get so much better.

Old 07-26-2006, 04:52 AM   #7
(female)

daringdarina HB User

Sleep! I forgot about sleep!

During me worst phase (a year or so), I would wake up at 2, 3, 4 or 5 and be wide awake, no going back to sleep. The funny thing is that I was never tired. No wonder I lost weight!

Now, I am back to my normal self, I find it hard to get out of bed in the morning again and that feels really great.

Closed Thread