It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2006, 03:42 PM   #1
(female)

laineyk HB User
what about HBP due to peri

I have been battling HBP for a year now (without meds) I lost 30lbs, exercise everyday & take vitamins...so I brought it down to average 117/75 GREAT since it was 150's/high 80's....Now I have had a couple real stressful 4 weeks and my bp has climbed back up. I probably need to just start BP meds & stop fighting it but I am SOOOOO afraid of talking a new med.
Is there anyone who can comfort me with their experiance with this?
I already take an AD & benzo daily for the anxiety...what more...I will be 48 in Dec. and it just seems to be getting worse.
God Bless all of you I feel so NOT alone, Lainey

Old 07-25-2006, 03:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User
Re: what about HBP due to peri

First of all congratulations on losing the weight. Please let me know what helped you to lose the weight during this time in our lives.

All my life until about August 2002 I've had low blood pressure. A good friend of mine use to wonder how I was able to walk around with such low blood pressure. Then perimenopause hit...and my pressure shot up. I'm currently taking Toprol and Diovan and my bp is under control. I'm trying to shed these pounds and I really hope that once I drop this extra weight I can reduce my meds. or even stop.

Hope this information is helpful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2006, 04:02 PM   #3
(female)

Korikins HB User

I talk to so many people our age and older and most are on some kind of BP medicine. I had low normal BP until last January when my heart started racing and BP shot up. At that time I didn't know what was causing it, but now I do. Anyway, my doctor put me on (Atenolol) Tenormin once a day. I test my BP once a day and except when I'm having a "spell" it's low normal.

I think everyone's BP goes up from time to time, especially with all the stress and anxiety. It's when it goes up and stays up there, like my mother, is when you HAVE to do something. Just talk to you doctor about it. And if you don't have one already, buy a wrist BP cuff and monitor yourself.

Kori

Old 07-27-2006, 09:26 AM   #4
(female)

laineyk HB User

Hi ladies, thanks for the replies. Hopeful, I lost weight by walking on my treadmill 5-6 days a week at 4.0 mph for 40 minutes. I also stopped with the nonsense foods...high salt & sugar items. I eat a spinach salad almost every day...I am soooo neurotic.
How old were you both when you were put on BP meds and did they have any adverse side effects for you? I am so scared to start them & have no idea why. Thanks for the input & the encouragment.
Lainey

Old 07-27-2006, 10:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Lainey, I've been on bp medication for over two years. I started by taking Microzide which is basically a diuretic because my doctor just did not believe that I truly had high bp. Later on I had to switch to Toprol, then the doctor added Diovan.

I've been working out on my recumbent bicycle when I feel up to it and I've lost some weight (Yeah)...I guess I need to give up on that magic pill theory to lose this weight, lol , and try working out consistently.

I understand your concern about taking medication, but there are several brands of bp medications available so it's just a matter of working closely with your doctor. You'll be fine .

Last edited by Hopefully; 07-27-2006 at 11:00 AM.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:59 AM   #6
(female)

Korikins HB User

I am 48 and have been on mine since January. I don't notice anything on taking them. When I get through this.....one day.....I plan on weaning myself off of them to see if I can go without. Since I'm still so stressed with this peri stuff and other issues, I'll stick with them for now. And who knows, I may never be off of them.

I don't like taking meds either, but sometimes, you just can't do it by diet and exercise alone.

Good luck!

Kori

Old 07-27-2006, 04:01 PM   #7
(female)

heitara HB User

Hi Layney, I've had over one year of hbp when I was exactly your age and peri really hit hard on me. Before I never had any problem and now - I'm 52 and still with my period - my bp has gone back to my normal 125/80. I never took any medicine because the minimum (italian here, not sure how you call it) has never gone over 85 (it seems this is the one you have to take an eye on to avoid troubles) while the maximum, which sometimes reached 150, is considered "emotional" and didn't worry my doctor that much.
If it makes you feel better, my mother always had problems with her hbp and took medicines for almost twenty years. I don't like the idea of taking chemicals either, but believe me, the ones for our blood pressure are risk-free.
Have you tried to measure your bp regularly for a couple of weeks?

"I'm not young enough to know everything". O. Wilde

Closed Thread