It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2006, 01:02 AM   #1
(female)

adogaboo HB User
Exclamation Menopausal symptoms?

Hi everyone;
I'm 40 years old and have a whole host of symptoms. Chronic nausea, excessive gas and bloating, sweating, insomnia, foggy thinking, all around day 19/20 of my cycle. Now does anyone else experience these symptoms? My doctor refuses to do any meno or perimenopausal tests. "He" figures it's too early for me even though my mom started having symptoms at an even younger age. Now I should let you know that the nausea is the biggest symptom for me.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Desperate in Canada.

Old 07-26-2006, 04:55 AM   #2
(female)

pbjmom HB User
Re: Menopausal symptoms?

Hi there! There is every chance you are in the early stages of menopause, also called perimenopause. Your symptoms are on the list of those symptoms which number 34 or 35 symptoms. Perimenopause can start in your mid 30's. Please read these boards and check out the web. There is so much information out there. I have and I have been relieved to know my symptoms are perimenopause. Both my mother and maternal grandmother had their last periods at 38. I am 37.

Go find another doctor to talk to if you can. Ask girlfriends who they recommend. You need to find a doctor who will listen.

Take care and good luck!
pbjmom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2006, 08:52 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User

I agree with pbjmom. Your symptoms definitely sound perimenopausal. This best defense is to read as much as you can about it either on the web or in books.

I'm suprised at your Dr. Was this a GP or a gyno? And is he checking out your symptoms for other causes so you can rule out? Like stomach ailments, thyroid problems, etc?

I don't have nausea, but I've read many posts of women who do.

Your course of action depends on your personality and how you'd like to treat your symptoms. For me, I did not want to go the regular synthetic HRT route. I did my best to educate myself about natural remedies and found a gyno that supported that. My regular doctor (who was no where near peri age) never thought about peri as my problem, but was open to the idea and was interested in how I progressed with my other doctor. She was also able to prescribe sleeping aids and antianxiety meds (for short term) until I felt better. Unfortunately for me, I've moved and now have to find new doctors!

Old 07-26-2006, 09:16 AM   #4
(female)

Les44 HB User

Adogaboo,
pretty much everyone here can feel your pain I assure you. That's why this board is so great! I too am from Canada. If you're not seeing a gyno doc suggest you ask for a referral. Can take up to 6 months though (i'm in AB) so you need to convince your family doc that it's important to you.
Personally I found the nausea the worst thing. I now walk around with a bottle of ginger capsules I got from the health food store. Works wonders, at least for that symptom.
Les

Old 07-26-2006, 09:28 AM   #5
(female)

adogaboo HB User

To all whom have applied to my posting, I thank you very much. It's nice to know that other people are going through similar experiences, and that I'm not alone. I always feel bad going to the doctor because they seem quick to write all my symptoms off as IBS which apparently happens to many women, It's all in your head they say... hogwash. I never had any issues with digestive problems until the last couple of years which leads me to believe that it most likely is related to hormones. Now if only I could find some natural remedy to fix all the ailments.
Thank-you everyone adogaboo

Old 07-26-2006, 11:12 AM   #6
(female)

Korikins HB User

I agree....find yourself another doctor, or just flat out tell this one you want a test...or you're going somewhere else. I can't believe that this person knows your concerns and won't test you.

My doctor tested me for everything under the sun. He wanted me to have an MRI, I just couldn't do it cause I'm too claustrophobic. Then after reading the web and this board, I asked for a test and I got it with no problem.

Anyway, I have all the symptoms you have and more. I realize now that I've been having some of them for quite awhile and dismissed it as PMS. When it got worse, I thought I had every ailment there was. Still do at times. lol

Anyway, good luck to you, and find help if you need it.

Kori

Old 07-26-2006, 01:53 PM   #7
(female)

liubica HB User
Unhappy Re: Menopausal symptoms?

i am 36 yrs old my periods have always been regular to the day last week i finnished my period and yesterday i started again but it feels different im clotting more theres more cramps and it seems heavier i do go through alot of stress 3 teenagers that will do it but i am feeling worried any idea what this may be.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:30 PM   #8
(female)

pbjmom HB User

Liubica,
What other symptoms are you having? Can you go visit your doctor? I, too, had about a week in between periods for a while and they just recently started going over 3 weeks in between. Irregular and heavy or light periods are a few of the symptoms of peri. MAybe talking to your gyn can help give insight.

pbjmom

Old 07-26-2006, 08:40 PM   #9
(female)

adogaboo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korikins
I agree....find yourself another doctor, or just flat out tell this one you want a test...or you're going somewhere else. I can't believe that this person knows your concerns and won't test you.

My doctor tested me for everything under the sun. He wanted me to have an MRI, I just couldn't do it cause I'm too claustrophobic. Then after reading the web and this board, I asked for a test and I got it with no problem.

Anyway, I have all the symptoms you have and more. I realize now that I've been having some of them for quite awhile and dismissed it as PMS. When it got worse, I thought I had every ailment there was. Still do at times. lol

Anyway, good luck to you, and find help if you need it.

Kori
Hi; Thanks for the information. While were on the subject of menopause symptoms do you or anyone else reading experience a period that is almost orange. It is quite a bit lighter as well. Used to be only 3 days, this last cycle was like 7+ days very unusual for me.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:55 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

brid HB User

hi pbjmom! i just read your post, i just posted explaining my problem, i wanted to ask you if you are regular on your periods and what your symptoms, thank you! brid

Old 07-27-2006, 05:59 AM   #11
(female)

angelavan HB User

Hi Adogaboo,
I too have IBS & Peri. I take 3 fiber pills at night and it is the best thing I have found for my IBS. Of course if I eat anything w/ MSG in it nothing seems to help. You might want to try the Fiber pills or one of the fiber drinks. It took about a week and most of my IBS symptoms calmed down. Now I am working on my Peri symptoms. Have not found anything natural that really helps much. I did use the progestone cream for about a year, but it has stopped working or my syptoms are just getting worse. My gyno put me on a estrogen patch and it has helped a little. Different things work for different people, so keep on trying new things. When you find something that helps even a little stick w/ it.

Old 07-27-2006, 06:18 AM   #12
(female)

pbjmom HB User

Hi brid!

My periods are becoming regular now. For 7 or 8 months I had a week without anything, then I would spot for about a week, go into a light period, then heavy/clotting period for three days and then taper off to spotting. This lasted for two weeks, then I would go again without anything for a week and the vicious cycle started over again. NOW, the periods are seeming to come further apart (last month was 3 and half weeks in between periods) and they last a week with shorter time on all parts of the bleeing.

Today is my appt with a gyno/friend. She is highly sought after in my town. I have made a list of all my things to take to her today to find out what she thinks.

My list of symptoms is long. I find the majority of symptoms come during the week prior to the period but my anxiety level always seems sooooo high right after it ends. I have had major panic attacks a few days after the period for a few months now.

Irregular periods, anxiety, hot flashes, flushes, night sweats, heart palps, nausea, insomnia, irrtiable, depressed, low sex drive, itchy crawly skin, fatigue, brain fog, breast pain, eye twitches (not sure about that one, but have heard other women who have it and are in peri) ...seems like the entire list!!!

I am taking Zoloft, multi-vitamin, calcium, magnesium and glucosamine chondroiton (shoulder problem, as if I need another issue!!)

Does that help, brid? I hope that is the info you wanted or needed. I have found these boards to be sooooo awesome in helping me cope and learn about this. I have reduced a lot of anxiety by being able to relate to other women.

pbjmom

Old 07-27-2006, 08:14 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

brid HB User

thank you pbjmom! i understood that you skip a period for 3 and a half weeks? for exaplme last time i had my period was on june 10, finishing june 17, nothing since that date..on may i got it on may 10, fnishing may 17, and arounf may 27, i had for like 6 days, very light pink spots, and on april, i didnit gor my period either, just 3 ays on very very light pink spots..., but before that, all normal, will have my period every 3 weeks, very regular..but my symtoms of being hot, hot flashes are for a year now, very mild, but in the last 15 days, all the time..i have itchy skin too, brain fog, is confusing because i had lyme disease diagnose like 5 months ago and i take doxy, much better of that, but now i am mixed up with symptoms!my endocrine wants me to take some pills for 5 days and tested my hormones after the 5 days to make sure is peri menopause, are you familiar with that medicine? i have also gain like 25 pounds in the last year..i take xanax sometimes for anxiety...thanks for responding hugs!.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:21 AM   #14
(female)

Korikins HB User

pbj.......I have eye twitches from time to time. I can close my eyes and notice it more. It gets really bad right before I have a bad "spell". I've had two of those 6 months apart and scared me to death. I know I'll have another one, but now I know what is causing it, so hopefully I won't panic.

Kori

Old 07-27-2006, 10:41 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

brid HB User

hi! i have twiches too, not only on my eyes, but on legs and arm muscle, i have them almost every day, that last a few minutes, but 6 month ago i had a strong one on my left leg, it lasted hours!!! sooo scary.. now the ones i get are mild, i try not to panick...

Closed Thread