It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2006, 01:46 PM   #1
(female)

summerblue HB User
Question Question about weight gain.

Hi, July is now 2 years since my last period so I figure I am now in post menopause. Over the past 2 years I put on about 30 pounds and I am trying to lose it. I gained alot of weight in my belly and I never had a belly before and my question is will I ever go back to having a flat stomach?
I have been walking and jogging on the treadmill for about 30 minutes five days a week and I also do a half hour to an hour of exercise (tapes and such) five days a week. I have been watching what I eat, I don't eat junk, I really eat rather healthy.
I am frustrated that I seem to lose a few pounds and gain them back, it has been an ongoing cycle and I just need to know if I keep up what I am doing do you think eventually I will succeed?
I have a bike also and go biking when I can with my daughter, it's just been so hot lately that I can't do it much.
OK so again, has anyone ever lost the weight they gained during peri and menopause? I just feel awful with this bloated stomach! Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by summerblue; 07-28-2006 at 01:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2006, 05:57 PM   #2

Lee Lee HB User
Re: Question about weight gain.

I hear you, Summer.

I've been post-menopausal for at least a year and the weight just keeps on coming. I'm very active and I haven't changed my eating habit, but the weight thing is really getting to me. Everything that I have read says we do gain weight after we reach menopause, especially around the middle.

I don't like it! I've never had to diet before in my life and now I'm cutting back on all the things I really enjoy.

It's the pitts getting old.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2006, 06:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

I know how you feel. I gained 10 pounds and thought I better tackle this before it is 17 pounds. So I thought that if I just stopped eating deserts after dinner that I would lose weight. To my surprise I gained weight. Then I started doing exercise tapes.

To make a long story short, in order to lose the weight I had to stop all sweets, sodas, and in between snacks. Then I had to exercise 5 days a week where I worked out vigorously (sweating) for at least an hour. This took me at least a month before I started seeing more than just a pound or two come off.

I guess as I get older it is harder to work off the weight.

I have continued the diet part and have slacked off on the exercise and I am still doing good.

Old 07-29-2006, 09:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User

I can SO relate ,and i've been wondering the same thing! I'm 54 ,just starting to get irregular.Last period was in May,but have been reg till then. The weight just seemed to come on overnight. I've been doing the treadmill for 30 mins every morning and swimming laps for 30 mins, 2 to 3 times a week ,plus eating a very healthy diet, and so far I haven't lost a pound. Although I think i'm toning up so at least there's that. I had to buy a whole new wardrobe. ( a size 6 to a size 10 ...and yikes ..a few size 12' s!!!). Guess i'm not alone. I don't know if i'm up to working out more,, or have the time. I'm trying to be more accepting ,and trying to buy flattering clothes,but sometimes it really gets me down. I do wonder also if i'll ever be able to lose it. I would be happy at a size 8. Any other suggestions out there? And if you are having success losing ...what exercises are you doing and for how long.

Thanks !!!

Old 07-30-2006, 01:07 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

I knew that I had to do something fast when my pants were getting uncomfortably tight. I refused to go out and buy larger sized jeans and work slacks. So I rented several exercise tapes from the local library. I found one that I really liked. It was not sold in stores anymore so I bought it off ebay. It is a VHS tape called "The Firm aerobic workout with weights by Susan Harris". It is a really good aerobic workout that includes weights. The workout is about an hour long. You have to be careful because there are about six "The Firm" tapes. I also walk down this very long, steep street nearby. It takes me about 40 minutes to walk to the bottom and back up. At the end I am dripping wet from prespiration.

In the past I could lose weight by just cutting out desserts or just exercising, but now I have to cut out desserts, in between snacks, plus heavy exercise. I started eating what is recommended on the sugar busters diet. That along with the exercise really helped me to lose weight.

The Firm tape was really hard at first and I could not keep up with all of the repetitions, but now I can. I am not using the maximum weights like the instructor is and to be honest I don't think I ever will.

I think any kind of exercise where you are really sweating is good for losing the weight.

Old 07-30-2006, 10:19 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks ,that tape sounds intriqing. I like working out with weights. Trouble is I had to stop due to tendonitis in both elbows and joint pain in the shoulder. I don't know how old you guys are on this thread ,but it was much easier for me in my 40's. I'm finding a I have a lot more joint pain and I just generally don't have the same energy at 54. It's the pitts!! But i'm not going to let it stop me from doing what i can to stay healthy and in shape.I just have to give up the notion that i'll ever get back the body I used to have. Having said that though,i think i will start trying to add a walk at night. We have some pretty good hills around here. (that is if i don't talk myself out of it, which is what i tend to do if it's after work.) Mornings are so much easier for me. Well, I have to keep reminding myself also that if i don't lose the weight i'm trying to lose ,at least i'm helping myself healthwise which at my age is important too. Good luck everyone ...I'm sure we're not the only ones fighting the battle of the (stomach ) bulge!!

Old 07-30-2006, 12:12 PM   #7
(female)

summerblue HB User

Hi Lee Lee, Belle2003 and kathryn+2, Thanks for your replies. I guess I am just going to stick to doing what I am doing, maybe kick it up a bit.

kathryn+2, I am 51 and it really did seem the weight came on overnight. I also was a size 6 and had to get a 10 jean, but I refuse to go higher!

I am really going to try hard to at least be as toned as I can.
Thanks Belle2003 on the Firm info, I will look for them.

Lee Lee, it sure is the pitts getting old! I find it really has been getting me down, I have to change the way I feel about it I guess, but it's hard, ya know?
I see women around when I am out and I am sure they are older than me and alot of them are not as bloated looking as I am. I was just hoping that maybe, your body sort of goes back a bit and some of this just vanishes, Hmm, wishful thinking.

Well stick with it and lets see what happens, I surely don't want to gain more, so eating right and exercise is what to do. Good Luck everyone!

Old 07-31-2006, 04:11 AM   #8
(female)

ruby-red HB User

can i join the battle of the bulge.....no period for almost 3 years, always skinny , then I got this stomach, it came from no-where, its like I woke up and thought what happened, everything I wear now is tight in the middle,..I hate sit-ups!! I am 48, single, ( just got dumped ) so this is just not fair right now, I need to get my old flat tummy back!! I eat well, perhaps have too many wines, but I cant give up everything, I've got nothing else in my life.( she sighs to herself ) ....why didnt it all go on my flat boobs instead.
Sue

Old 07-31-2006, 05:21 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yep Ruby...that's where mine showed up too. The stomach area. (if anyone's seen my waist ...tell it I want it back!!! ) I don't even think situps will work as i'm up to 75 crunches a day without much change.It might help me hold my hold my stomach in a bit,but it doesn't help with the FAT hanging over my jeans. (Someone needs to make a "hip" jean with elastic on the sides!)

Guess the key is exercise ,exercise, and more exercise!

Not ready to give up...but pretty tired of not seeing any results from what i AM doing. It's just so much harder than it used to be. I know most woman our age are in our same boat. If I see a woman that has a killer body and she's over 50 i'm thinking she either LIVES at the gym ,or exists on water,and not much else. !!!

Last edited by kathryn+2; 07-31-2006 at 05:22 PM.

Old 08-01-2006, 05:26 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

lola003 HB User

Wow, we all share the same issues but isn't it amazing that no one really has a solution for us? I am 50, no period for 8 months now but my weight gain and hot flashs started about 8 years ago. About 10 lbs. I was never small but now I hate what I see in the mirror. Same thing, in my belly mostly. I am newly remarried and on top of this I had to have the sling surgery so now my excersize routine is halted for about 6 weeks. What a struggle. Anyway, I too used to work out alot and eat very healthy but don't you notice now that if you never were much of a sweet eater in the past, you now crave them? What a cruel way to begin the journey of our silver years. Oh well, nothing we can do about it but take it one day at a time. At least I have my health

Anyone have husbands who are not supportive about the weight gain? I have a friend who's husband likes skinny women. She was when they got married now he calls her names like fatty. What a guy... Mine is ok with it and understands but I don't want to push it. hehe

Good luck ladies.

Deb in CT

Old 08-01-2006, 08:18 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yeah...as i'm aging it is a lot harder physically for me to exercise the way I used too. I now have tendonitis in both arms so my upper body weight routine I liked to do aggravates it ,so i can't do it. Also ,went on the treadmill twice yesterday. 30mins in the a.m and 30 mins in the p.m. and my kness are killing me! going to try it again in a minute and see how i feel. It's such a bummer when thre desire is there but the body is not cooperating. Like the old addage 'The mind is willing ,but the body's not "( although that used to pertain only to sex ) Hey I've been married 35 yrs ....sometimes sleep sounds SO much more appealing!!
My husband is very supportive of my exercise plan ,and although i know he much perfers me thinner ,he's also in his mid 50's and realizes that age has a lot to do with it. He's never critized my weight gain ,but i have noticed he has stopped saying how pretty I am. Something he used to say, just out of the blue occassionally. Last night i was talking facsiously about getting a tummy tuck and lipo in my waist area ,and how i'd be perfrctly happy with my body then,when he chimed in ..how about your butt and thighs?. THAT made me feel good!!!! LOL!! I just told him.."well,I can't see my butt,so who cares..

By the way Moch....I lived in Georgetown Ct.untill i was 10yrs old and my parents moved us to Calif......that's fairly close to Norwalk right?

Last edited by kathryn+2; 08-01-2006 at 08:20 AM.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:39 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

nornie HB User

Okay, I have to jump in here too, just because it's so great to know I'm not alone in this. It is just so aggravating. Never been a large person, never been overweight, I'm still in the low end of the normal weight range for my height, yet every single ounce I gain is only in once place - my tummy! I hate it so much. And as another poster said, in the past if I gained a few lbs, just cutting out dessert for a week and they would be gone. Now, any gain seems like it just stays put! It's just sooooooo much harder to maintain these days.

Nornie

Old 08-01-2006, 09:55 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

lola003 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn+2
Yeah...as i'm aging it is a lot harder physically for me to exercise the way I used too. I now have tendonitis in both arms so my upper body weight routine I liked to do aggravates it ,so i can't do it. Also ,went on the treadmill twice yesterday. 30mins in the a.m and 30 mins in the p.m. and my kness are killing me! going to try it again in a minute and see how i feel. It's such a bummer when thre desire is there but the body is not cooperating. Like the old addage 'The mind is willing ,but the body's not "( although that used to pertain only to sex ) Hey I've been married 35 yrs ....sometimes sleep sounds SO much more appealing!!
My husband is very supportive of my exercise plan ,and although i know he much perfers me thinner ,he's also in his mid 50's and realizes that age has a lot to do with it. He's never critized my weight gain ,but i have noticed he has stopped saying how pretty I am. Something he used to say, just out of the blue occassionally. Last night i was talking facsiously about getting a tummy tuck and lipo in my waist area ,and how i'd be perfrctly happy with my body then,when he chimed in ..how about your butt and thighs?. THAT made me feel good!!!! LOL!! I just told him.."well,I can't see my butt,so who cares..

By the way Moch....I lived in Georgetown Ct.untill i was 10yrs old and my parents moved us to Calif......that's fairly close to Norwalk right?

Yes, Georgetown is very close.

Old 08-03-2006, 06:03 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

coffeegirl2 HB User

hi gals

belle- i have that video tape with susan harris of the firm. it is awesome! only i need to dust it off because i have not worked out much this summer due to my sons being home, and causing a huge distraction with my workouts. they have really made it difficult to work out. 2 weeks until school starts and my workout routine will be in full force again! yeah!!

boy do i ever understand how it feels to gain weight in the middle. like all of you have mentioned, i too, have gained weight in the middle and lots of it, due to menopause. some also has been contributed to some psych meds as well- a combo of both i think. 18 pounds worth and growing!

i'm only 36 and had a hysterectomy. back in my prime, and through most of my life, i was tiny, petite, and thin. 'gee- what was that like?'- lol i don't remember those days anymore. lol all i know now is tight clothes, and pants that don't fit with squeezing into the zipper.

Coffeegirl

Old 08-03-2006, 08:47 PM   #15
(female)

summerblue HB User

Wow, I am so glad to see all the post here. I am really glad to see that others feel the way I do, though I wish none of us had this problem with the weight gain. I really do just feel awful in my own body.

I am hoping that someone who has been thru this, gaining the belly fat, can tell me that yeah, it happens, but that thru exercise and eating right they were able to get at least somewhat back to a flatter stomach.

Closed Thread