It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2006, 09:19 AM   #1
(female)

eag1204 HB User
can a complex cyst burst?

Hi - new to the board! Had ovarian ca 15 yrs ago. they removed one overy. all is/was well. Finally saw an ob/gyn about 6wks ago and she ordered all my blood work (CA-125) for me as I requested all my followup stuff since my oncologist released me. I had an ultrasound done & CA-125. My CA-125 came back at 48.9 - but.. I had it done the day I got my period (bad, bad). the ultra sound showed a complex cyst on right ovary. here is my thing, my periods are extremely normal, 28 days, but very clotty & heavy. my last period after the ultrasound was extremly heavy. I am scheduled for a cat scan (scared to death). here is my question or asking for comments, can a complex cyst burst? My oncologist has always suggested I had endromititis(sp??) but that is not his thing. My periods have always been over the last 10 yrs clotty and heavy for the first 2 days. oh, I am 46yrs. old, never had kids. my ovarian ca 15 yrs ago was a teratoma - which was encapsulated but did go thru chemo.

Last edited by mod-anon; 07-28-2006 at 09:14 PM. Reason: starting a new thread

Old 07-28-2006, 09:15 PM   #2

mod-anon HB User
Re: can a complex cyst burst?

Please start a new topic with a new thread.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2006, 12:11 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

I remember reading in Dr. John Lee's book "What your doctor May Not Tell you About Premenopause" about how you can get your cysts to go away on your own. You may want to check this book out at the library and read up on it. I think it said that cysts happen because of hormone imbalance and listed what you can do to help the cysts go away.

Old 07-30-2006, 06:26 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

marymk HB User

Hi,
I'm 48 and in peri-menopause. I've been having complex cysts followed for the past year. They are alwasys small - about 1.5 cm or less. They appear and resolve in about 2-3 months time, and alternate ovaries. I had one in January on my right ovary - went for re-check in May, and it was gone, but there was one on my left ovary. I'm going for followup next week. I have a feeling it's gone, because I had painful ovulation a couple of weeks ago on the left side.
My gyno thinks these are happening because my ovaries are 'trying to ovulate' and having trouble because of fluctuating hormones.

I'm thinking of getting Dr. Lee's book, and trying to get rid of these, as I'm getting tired of going to the gyno every 3 - 4 months.
Also, I've had 3 CA-125's - all below 35 (normal), but once it was 34.5 and that freaked me out, but I was on the last day of my period. My lowest number was last time at 24.5. I'd like to get a low number like 7 or 8, like I see posted from other women.
My gyno also suspects endometiosis, which could also cause a higher reading.

Sorry for being so long here. Hope some of this infor helps.

Mary

Old 07-30-2006, 07:13 AM   #5
(female)

eag1204 HB User

thanks! I only have one ovary - I sort of remember my oncologist saying at one point I had a cyst the only ovary but then it was gone. Great thing -- I will have my period (1st day) when they are doing the cat scan. thanks, and sorry, I didn't start a new thread. not quite used to these things.

Old 07-30-2006, 09:58 PM   #6

mod-anon HB User

my apologies for giving the wrong impression about starting a new thread. I had moved another comment to a new thread because it didn't have anything to do with this topic, and that left my instruction hanging in space. Please feel free to discuss this topic in this thread. If the discussion leads you to think of some new question, then please start a new thread for that question.

mod-anon

Old 08-01-2006, 07:14 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

marymk HB User

Just a quick followup here, I had my repeat sonogram today, and sure eneough the complex cyst on my left ovary has resolved, and I have another small one on my right. My gyno thinks this is happening because of my hormones and being in peri. She doesn't want to check it for another 6 months - that's the longest I've gone in a year for these cysts.
I'm fine with this - I've really had no symptoms - they were found when looking for fibroids (I have 3 of those).

Mary

Old 08-02-2006, 06:27 AM   #8
(female)

eag1204 HB User

thanks! i didn't get my cat scan results but you just gave me a spark of light! thanks,

Old 08-04-2006, 10:21 AM   #9
(female)

eag1204 HB User

okay, got a call from ob/gyn dr's office. She (nurse) said dr was out till monday but report said saw a few cysts but it didnt say anything about ovarian cancer. I faxed evrything to my oncologist office and he is gone for day. she said, (nurse again) that it doesn't indicate suspicious anything but will have dr read report and call me monday. can only a dr read a report. I am so annoyed that these damn drs are now going to make me wait all weekend

Old 08-04-2006, 03:00 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

marymk HB User

I get my sonograms done right in the doctor's office, and then meet with her right afterwards. She reads it right then and there, but then she always sends it out to be read by a radiologist. Usually what she tells me, is the same as the radiologist report (which I always get), The 'official' report always has alot of medical terms on it - that I don't usually understand.

I've stopped trying to interpert them further - by looking things up that I don't understand. I just go with her diagnosis.

I don't think the nurse has the authority to tell say much about the report. Since they said nothing looked suspicious, I wouldn't worry to much. Having a few cysts can be perfectly normal.

Mary

Closed Thread