It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2006, 10:37 AM   #1
(female)

mrod HB User
hormone testing

Anyone heard of over the counter tests to check hormone levels, blood tests or saliva tests? I know I am in peri now, but wondered if anyone had tried the tests to find out more.

Thanks

Old 07-29-2006, 11:36 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User
Re: hormone testing

You can find labs on line that process saliva tests. I think basic ones start at around $200-$300. I did one a few years ago but was unsure about how to read the results (this was when I was having milder peri symptoms.)

When my symptoms got a lot worse, I found a gyno who prescribes bioidentical hormones and more natural remedies and bought a saliva kit (which was exactly the same kind as before) from her ($300 which included estrogen, progesterone, testosterone and cortisol). We did a 2nd one about 6 months later to see how the levels were responding to the hormones without the cortisol and I think it was about $220-250.

She told me blood tests can be quite a bit more expensive.

Anyway, my recommendation would be to make sure you have a doctor that will help you evaluate the results before you spend the $$ for the test.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2006, 01:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MommaBee HB User

I wouldn't waste your money on one of those, yet. If you are in peri, it will most likely give you the wrong reading. In peri, your hormones are on a roller coaster. One minute you have high estrogen, the next you don't. This is why doctor's don't give the FSH test until you start to skip periods. It isn't until then that your ovaries have slowed down enough to show that you are heading closer to menopause. Menopause is defined as, not having a period (any blood) for one year. Until your reach that mark, I would just wait and try to get through all the symptoms as they happen.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:12 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree with Mommabee. Saliva tests will give you the results of your hormone levels no matter if you are in peri, not in peri or in menopause. I will say that it may be a waste of money if you don't plan to pursue any type of hormone replacement and you are just curious. If you find you are high in estrogen, but low in other hormones and you don't plan to take anything to help balance you out, then all you have is the information.

Everyone's hormone levels are different at any stage in life, but you can find a doctor who is willing to work with you to find what levels will work for you.

For me personally, I was feeling so horrible that I was willing to try almost anything. There is no way I could have just waited it out until I got to menopause.

Closed Thread