It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2006, 07:48 AM   #1
(female)

CynAnn HB User
Peri ups & downs! no day is the same!

This message board has been a blessing to me. I have no older sisters, nearby friends or co-workers to share my emotions with. My step-daughter is 25 and has no clue what its all about....and my Mom is 73 and a good listener, but her peri days "were a breeze" -- lucky gal! My best friend lives 600 miles away and my husband (is so wonderful) but I'm sure he gets tired of hearing me complain and dosnt understand stained panties, cramps and hot flashes.

I thought this peri thing would be a little easier. Its not. Its a nightmare and no two days are the same.

One day, I have so much energy, just chatting away, happy, hyper... cleaning, working, wide open with loads nervous energy. Man, I have the cleanest house in the state.

The next day, I can't move. I'm almost in a coma. I have no engery at all. I hurt all over. I feel sad, cry at a drop of a hat. I feel sick to my stomach.

This alternates from week to week with in between days of ho-hum feelings of blah to overwhelmed excitement of high energy. Some days good, some bad, some normal, some sad, some anxiety, some tears, some painful....theres no "schedule" anymore in may life. I never know what to expect. Not only from day to day BUT! hour to hour.

Use to, I could plan for whats around the corner. But no more! Before I hit peri -wide open with a sonic boom- I was so "on time" a normal 28/30 day cycle, some PMS 2 days prior, some cramps the day of and my period for 4-5 days, no big deal and was prepared for the exact same pattern the next month.

NOW! I have no idea what to expect!!!!! I cramp all the time and havent had a period since June 6th. I have waves of PMS, sleepless nights, nightmares, hot flashes, cold chills, headaches, mood swings.....nothing is consistant anymore. I feel like I'm my ol' self at 12:noon and can feel totally different within 30 min!

What a mad, crazy roller coaster ride. I spotted last week and KNEW that I would start soon, but did I? no way! that would be too easy, right? I didnt start but still have the painful cramps. The peri-world of consist of unsureness, unexpected changes and surprizes! In the famous words of Forest Gump: "ya never know what ya gonna get"

Thanks for listening to me vent, woooooo, I feel better! wonder what tomorrow will be like? (tomorrow? what about 2 hours from now!?) LOL

CynAnn, age 46
day 56 with no period - only the symptoms!

Last edited by CynAnn; 07-31-2006 at 07:52 AM. Reason: typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2006, 07:57 AM   #2
(female)

Wizard HB User
Re: Peri ups & downs! no day is the same!

Hi cynAnn:

You've so described my life. I can go from having total energy one minute to being so exhausted I just want to fall over the next. I was always the person who could keep going forever and didn't understand the people who were so tired and "lazy" in my opinion. Gee....now I'm one of them.

I don't have hot flashes during the day, just night flushes but I'm utterly plagued by a burning sensation in my hands and feet and tingling. My body aches all the time, I'm so tired some days it's all I can do to put my shoes on. Some months I can see a pattern to it and how it follows my cycle, other months like this last one, it's just relentless.

On the plus side, my sister is about 5 years into this and she does have all her energy levels back. She's still getting rotten hot flashes but at least she feels like she can get things done now. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Jo

Old 07-31-2006, 09:21 AM   #3
(female)

pbjmom HB User

Hi CyAnn and Jo,

I am with you both 100%! Peri stinks! I am 37 and in full blown symptoms. Why does it have to be so bad? We go through enough as women, that you would think we would get a break sometime. I look forward to the day when it is all over. There are too many symptoms and they occur to often!!

My anxiety levels are all over the place. I have been trying to track the days to see if there is any pattern (hahaha) The only thing I have noticed is that my anxiety levels are worse the week after my period when I am/or supposed to be ovulating. Other than that symptom the rest of them (hot flashes, heart palps,etc.) hit virtually any day, any time, any where.

Without this board I would be a total nutcase. My husband is good as well with the understanding and all, but a woman going through the same thing helps on such a different level! Thank you for sharing you stories. It helps!!!

pbjmom

Old 07-31-2006, 10:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Cyn, Wiz and Pbj....I can say ditto to many of your statements.

There is no rhyme or rhythm to this peri thing...I've been going through this full force for the last 4 years. When I have good days (which are usually minimum symptom days) and then try to duplicate what I did in order to have more good days things sometimes just don't work out that way. So I've learned that it's all about what my hormones are doing from moment to moment and not necessarily what I've done.

I truly understand about feeling somewhat "normal" one minute and then 30 minutes (or even less) later I'm sweating, mood swings all over the place, woosie feeling, anxiety, internal shakes, feeling weepy.......ahhhh, I think y'all know the rest .

My period ended several days ago, but for the last couple of days I've been experiencing cramps and feeling like I'm about to start my period again. I've also been dealing with morning anxiety that cause me to feel nauseated. I truly hope that all of this is an indication that I'm at the end of this peri rollercoaster ride...especially since the last test indicated that my estrogen, progesterone, testosterone and dhea are below the minimum range.

Okay, enough venting. Thank God that I have this board and the wealth of knowledge and support from all you ladies. Have a great day!

Old 07-31-2006, 11:50 AM   #5
(female)

slimseeker HB User

Ditto to you all!!!!! You described me. Oh joy this peri is huh? NOT!! lol. I see a pattern with myself. I can feel good one day and do everything, and the next day I hurt and have NO energy. I have found in the past few months I really vary. I felt bad most of May and June, but in July I felt good half the month now. I do have occasional cramps though this past month.

Hope you feel better soon.

Hugs
slimseekers

Old 08-02-2006, 08:41 AM   #6
(female)

Barbz615 HB User

(One day, I have so much energy, just chatting away, happy, hyper... cleaning, working, wide open with loads nervous energy. Man, I have the cleanest house in the state.)

Hello CynAnn,
Coming here has been a great relief for me, It keeps me in check, I started to wonder how much of this was actually happening or was it something else. But coming back time and time again I found more info here than the doc gave me because it is all the same symptoms and experiences
so my very first instincts were right.

Most of the month I wake up shot out of a cannon ... I get more done before the coffee is done brewing, then there are the days of I really push to get small things done.

All of it describes me, except I'm still very regular (27/28 day cycle) one in every 3/4 months I'm a day or two early. I've been tracking my cycle since all this started (last summer) and found a pattern, so I can pinpoint the trouble days .. for now, who knows what the next surprise will be
I've had 3/4 months of misery then it shuts off for a few months then, WHAM of we go on the terror ride.
My PMS symptoms were mild 2 days prior to the start of my period. the worse I felt was very sleepy for a day, and a mild headache
Looking back that was a walk in the park even with cramps
Now it's PMS from day 8-15, the day it starts is a full energy day.

the year I've been back and forth to my gyn she refuses to acknowledge the word "hormones" even though I printed out calendars with check marks for symptom days, lists of symptoms etc ... until my last visit, she finally recommended low dose of birth control to "level out hormones" and we just agreed to call it PMS. I've been on BC for a week now, I couldn't wait for my period to get this started on day 1 hoping I could intercept the week of hell.
For those days of uncertainty I keep the original perscription of xanax handy just incase I get anxious, and not to push myself ... just try to relax and do my needlepoint, instead of pacing the floors and wasting the day. PS - I've gotten alot of crafts done over a yr ... he he he
I don't know if this is the start of the "quiet" months or if the pill may have actually started to help a bit. Here I am at day 9 and I feel alittle better than this time last month, hopefully this is the start of a gradual come back!
I feel alittle calmer, less cramps, better rested etc. the hotflashes are
fun while we are in the middle of a heat wave here in NJ, here it is 11:30 and already 91 degrees, my AC hasn't shut off in days.
I have to hold on to what little patience I have left with this and give the pill a reasonable amount of time to work.

Barb age 40

Last edited by Barbz615; 08-02-2006 at 08:54 AM.

Old 08-03-2006, 04:34 PM   #7
(female)

mdctlew HB User
Re: Peri ups & downs! no day is the same! CYNANN

HI I read your post and I am going thru the exact same thing you are .
I am 46 never been on the pill . tubed tied in 88 and my period is so late .
I am freaking out . I went out and bought a EPT today and I am to scared to do the test .
I feel like i am going to start but i dont . I have always been on the money .
I feel like I am losing my mind . I am sooooooo scared .
if I am pregnant i am just going to freak out .
I have read that you can get pregnant even if you have had your tubes tied .
debbie

Old 08-03-2006, 06:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi,
Boy I could have written that too. I have been going thru this as far as really noticing symptoms that were bothersome for 3 years now and it is on and off as far as how I am going to feel. TWo years ago was the worst with symptoms. The only thing I can tell you is that it is all normal and I truly empathize..it IS a roller coaster ride for sure!!

rmc

Old 09-02-2006, 10:44 PM   #9
(female)

dizzybrunette HB User

Can I join the fun...

Sporadic periods
Headaches
Dry eyes
Dizziness, Brain fog, spacey
Sore muscles
Frozen painful shoulder
Insomnia
Numb fingers
Dry skin
Increase allergies
Night sweats
Bouts of rapid heart beat
Heart burn (just started)
Anxiety
No energy, no motivation to do anything
Difficult concentrating
Blurred vision
Dark circles under eyes
Cramps when not on period
Bouts of Bladder infections
Incontinence (laughing, sneezing)
Decreased appetite
Tired
Emotional wreak
Lack of sex drive

I have good days and bad days too.. Some times seems they all hit. Some times just a few at once. Sometimes I feel I am going crazy..

Old 09-07-2006, 07:56 AM   #10
(female)

Moonmad HB User

Okay, to add to the list, anyone find they just cannot cope with any stress? I'm getting worse and worse... cannot bear any kind of confrontation even with my mum, and trying to deal with a stranger this week over a very minor traffic incident has almost reduced me to a nervous wreck!

Even the thought of doing things I normally love, such as crafts, makes me anxious. I dread the thought of travelling, don't even want to visit friends cos I feel I've got no 'energy' to give them.

I'm so sick of feeling like this and so TIRED!

Old 09-07-2006, 02:54 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmad
Okay, to add to the list, anyone find they just cannot cope with any stress? I'm getting worse and worse... cannot bear any kind of confrontation even with my mum, and trying to deal with a stranger this week over a very minor traffic incident has almost reduced me to a nervous wreck!

Even the thought of doing things I normally love, such as crafts, makes me anxious. I dread the thought of travelling, don't even want to visit friends cos I feel I've got no 'energy' to give them.

I'm so sick of feeling like this and so TIRED!

Oh...Yes, I've been through that stage where the slightest issue appeared to be major. Just making a decision about the most trivial thing required effort. Moon, I know what your are going through.

I truly have been blessed by this board...I've found that I'm not alone with just about every symptom that I've experienced. There are times that I've found a current post dealing with something that I considered posting about. Ladies, we'll make it through this time in our lives .

Closed Thread