It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2006, 08:09 AM   #1
(female)

gtts4u HB User
Question Newly Diagnosed EM-Confused with Questions???

I am a 39yo otherwise healthy female who has inherited a truck load of family medical problems. 2 years ago my periods became "whacky". Went to my Gyn and he did hormone test (I did not see the results) but he said everything was normal. 1 month later, I started having menstrual migraines. After about a year of them (every month) my Family DR started giving me Imitrex. I have been very insistant that my migraines are hormone related. They have become more frequent and more intense the last 3 months. I have gone to the ER for them now. Finally, after telling my DR. that both my mom and sister went thru Menopause in their late 30's my doc ordered blood test.
Recieved results yesterday, testing on day 3 of cycle, LH 18, FSH 58 and Estadiol less than 20. DR prescribed Prempro and I will start taking today.
Questions--
1. With my test result, does this mean that I am just in Perimenopause or Menopause?
2. How long does it take to get thru Menopause?
3. How long does it take for most people to start feeling better on HRT?
4. Anyone with migraines? Does HRT help them or intensify them?

I have also been having ,what I just learned, is Hot Flashes. Since my last ER visit 3 months ago, I have been having "episodes". I get a little warm, tingling in my arms and legs, headache and then a burst of adrenalin that makes me very anxious that I have to pace for about an hour until it burns off. I also get feelings of being shocked in my head. My BP also increases and I panick and think that I am going to die. Dr sent me to a Neuro who did CT, MRI and EEG but everything is normal. I have been thinking that these were "auras" of my migraines but now with the blood results the DR days these are hot flashes.
5. Is this a typical hot flash or has anyone experienced hot flashes like this?
Also, anyone with EM? Shouldn't I also have my thyroid levels checked? I have a strong family history of hypothyroid too.
Thanks in advance for your input!
Confused

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2006, 08:27 AM   #2
(female)

Wizard HB User
Re: Newly Diagnosed EM-Confused with Questions???

1. With my test result, does this mean that I am just in Perimenopause or Menopause?

If you are still getting your period, then you are in peri-menopause. Menopause is considered to have occured after one year with no period.

2. How long does it take to get thru Menopause?

It differs from person to person. One person might sail through it in a year. Another person could well go 9 months with no period and then get one and have to start the whole process again.

3. How long does it take for most people to start feeling better on HRT?

Haven't used it so I can't answer this question. Most women here seem to say that it's not immediate.

4. Anyone with migraines? Does HRT help them or intensify them?

No migraines here....just normal headaches.

I have also been having ,what I just learned, is Hot Flashes. Since my last ER visit 3 months ago, I have been having "episodes". I get a little warm, tingling in my arms and legs, headache and then a burst of adrenalin that makes me very anxious that I have to pace for about an hour until it burns off. I also get feelings of being shocked in my head. My BP also increases and I panick and think that I am going to die. Dr sent me to a Neuro who did CT, MRI and EEG but everything is normal. I have been thinking that these were "auras" of my migraines but now with the blood results the DR days these are hot flashes.
5. Is this a typical hot flash or has anyone experienced hot flashes like this?

I have much the same experience with night flushes. I have a ton of tingling in my legs and arms, almost a sensation of numbness and burning at times, anxiety, fears of major illnesses etc....this is all pretty normal in peri-menopause.

Last edited by Wizard; 08-01-2006 at 08:29 AM.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:38 AM   #3
(female)

Korikins HB User
Re: Newly Diagnosed EM-Confused with Questions???

I'd say you are in peri though my doctor says FSH at 40 and up is considered menopause. Maybe it's hitting you like a ton of bricks and you'll get through it quicker.

I hope the HRT helps you. It would probably take at least a cycle to feel better.

Kori

Closed Thread