It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2006, 05:40 PM   #1
(female)

slimseeker HB User
Gynecological exam in an overweight woman question

Hi all,

This is for any of you who are as me and overweight. I am 100 lbs over weight and have a gyne visit this Friday...finally after 3 mos. waiting and having these peri symptoms and wacky bleeding. I am SOOO nervous for this visit. I have not had an gyno exam in 6 yrs. I had a bad experience where at that time my family doc did an exam and said there was too much of me to do the bimanual part of the exam and sent me for an ultrasound. I was totally devasted at this comment about my stomach being big. Since then I stopped going to the gyno. What I was wondering is that any of you that are overweight can your gyno do the bimanual exam with no problems and be able to palpatate your internal female organs ok? I guess since that last time and comment I feel so embarassed to go to the gyno cause I am over weight. That last doc didn't have to say that to me that way. she could of just said she wanted to do an ultrasound instead of making that comment, "there is just toomuch of you for me to feel"...gosh I could of died on that table.

So please anyone who is reading this and is overweight please tell me if your gyno experience is better and that I will do ok this Friday. The good news for me is in the past year I have lost 30 lbs...and still losing

Thanks so much
hugs
Slimseeker

Old 08-01-2006, 08:52 PM   #2
(female)

Korikins HB User
Re: Gynecological exam in an overweight woman question

Congrats on your weight loss! I've lost weight too in the past 5 years. May we both lose more, even with the peri.

At my heaviest I weighed 230 and I never had a problem at the gyno. I did have a ultrasound once but that was because I was complaining about pelvic pain.

The only thing I can tell you is if you're bigger, they do have to push alot harder and it can be very uncomfortable. Don't let a bad experience keep you from checking your health though.

Best wishes to you!

Kori

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2006, 12:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

Congratulations on your weight loss. Doctors can be rude about all sorts of things, if they happen to touch on a sensitive subject. (Even if they don't, it can still make you feel bad) Don't let their comments stop you from maintaining healthy check ups. Just change doctors until you get one with a better bedside manner.

Old 08-02-2006, 07:41 AM   #4
(female)

CynAnn HB User

Hi Slimseeker,
yes, some doctors can be so rude, I feel that was uncalled for. I too am over weight and in Nov. (my last visit with a *NEW* OB GYN, who is a female) she walked in the door and I was so pleased to see that she was a chubby too! After the full exam and talk, she never made comment to my weight or belly fat. I talked about a recent weight loss of 20 pounds and she said to keep up the good work, but she never made me feel uncomfortable about my weight.

I agree, maybe get a new doc with a better bed-side manner!!!...or if the comment happens again, speak up and say, "hey! I've lost 30 pounds and I'm still loosing!" thats something to really be proud of.

Good work on your weight loss, I know (for me) its hard during this time in my life........sorry to hear that rude comment happen to you, I could relate and felt for you.

Take care and good luck!
CynAnn

Old 08-02-2006, 08:16 AM   #5
(female)

slimseeker HB User

Hello, CynAnn, Belle, Korikans,

I just wanted to thank you girls for your posts back to me. I do feel so much better reading them. Congrats on all your weight losses too. Keep up the good work!!!

I no longer go to this doc I mentioned now for 6 yrs. I have a new one I am going to tomorrow. I hear good about her. Yes, I am still some nervous cause of all the problems I have had the past couple months, which some of you may remember reading about my bleeding problems and bloating etc..etc... Although, in July I had one regular period and no in between bleeding..so I'd say that is a good sign my hormones leveled back out...what do you guys think? If I had something more serious, then things wouldn't be better the past few weeks, right???

Thanks again and keep up on the weight loss. That is how I started my id on this site..slimseeker cause I was asking questions on the weight loss board

Hugs to you all
Slimseeker (who is slowly getting slimmer )

Old 08-04-2006, 06:09 AM   #6
(female)

judykk HB User

I hope you have a good visit and find some answers to your questions. I am a larger gal too and my gyn tells me she has seen it all, so don't worry.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:08 PM   #7
(female)

Korikins HB User

My old gyno, who is retired now, said the only thing that bothered him was smelly feet.

Kori

Closed Thread