It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2006, 09:22 AM   #1
(female)

klawk316 HB User
memory loss question...

Hi Landies,

Iím 52 menopausal and I seem to go into a cyclical memory loss. About every 2-3 weeks I go from having a great long and short term memory into a frightening bad short term memory, and then back again to a good one. Sometimes I have to think real hard to accomplish the most smallest of every day task that I would normally do without any thought at all. Iím very frightened by this. Can anyone relate, and tell me I don't have the beginnings of a dementia? thank you, karen

Old 08-03-2006, 09:53 AM   #2
(female)

Korikins HB User
Re: memory loss question...

Klawk.....if it were demetia, I'd be in the nursing home by now. My memory is terrible!

Kori

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2006, 12:26 PM   #3
(female)

klawk316 HB User

Korikins, thank you for responding.

I think the real question I would like to ask all...... is if you too have a fluctuating memory problem? A couple of good weeks, then one or two really bad weeks, and on and on.

Old 08-03-2006, 11:11 PM   #4
(female)

Emma P HB User

Hello Karen
Hope this makes you feel a little better. I am the same age and menopausal and I too have a memory problem. (weather it is a severe or not I'm not sure). I also was afraid that I was going to get Alziemers as my dad is in the early stages and he's about 74. Clinicans assure me that it is just the hormones, but maybe other older ladies, who have been where we are, might like to tell us how they've come out the other side. Hormones are a strange thing. The lack of some can make us tired & unwell and the treatments often make out symptoms worse. I guess that many women go through this and manage to exist inspite of it. It's not pleasant for us is it, but we can but try our best to muddle through. I work and manage to do my job just fine although some days I feel a little foggy and unwell, but at times at home feel as you described. So I guess that if I can work and concentrate there ok, then I have to believe that all will be ok. I have been trying to do some relaxation breathing etc and if you can go for a walk on your own with a headset with music on, it does wonders to clear the mind and calm the spirit. I have found this to make me feel better. Hope I have been of some help.
regards, Emma

Old 08-04-2006, 06:05 AM   #5
(female)

angelavan HB User

Hello Ladies,
I am 44 and for the past 6 months I have been forgetting everything from paying bills, to how to do something at work. I just knew I was getting dementa. My younger brother has this, but it is from brain injuries. I was also having all the other peri symptomes of hot flashes, night sweats, not sleeping, beyond tired, and did not want anything to do w/ anyone. I went to my gyno and he put me on an estrogen patch. I have been on them for 3 weeks now and can tell a big difference. I go back to see him in another week and he said he will see how I am doing and will have to add more hormones. I guess being on estrogen for a long period of time can cause cancer. Anyway I can remember things again, I still forget things now and again, but nothing like it was. My night sweats have stoped, I sleep all night and my hot flashes have calmed down a little and I am enjoying people again. I even have energy to start exercising. Have you been to your Dr? Never knew hormones were so important. Hang in there and I hope you get to feeling better soon. Ang

Old 08-04-2006, 08:36 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User

I'm 48 and have had peri for about eight years. It seems that in the past few months I've really noticed the bad memory thing a lot more, even though I'm using bioidentical hormones. It seems to sort of come and go, probably with my own hormone fluctuations. I also seem to do worse if I haven't slept well.

I posted a "chuckle" a while back about leaving my groceries in the trunk of my car for 3 hours after getting home. I was able to laugh about it, but it bothered me also because I just couldn't believe that I did that! This is beyond just being forgetful.

Hope you continue to feel better

Closed Thread