It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2006, 12:47 PM   #1
(female)

marys62 HB User
Anyone on BCP Still get symptoms?

I am on a low dose birth control pill and have been for 2 years. Lately I have been getting some anxiety and a lot of nausea. When I first started with peri 3 years ago, the anxiety was really bad but seemed to be OK after I went on Lexapro and was fine since I stopped the Lexapro about 8 months ago.
Can you still get some peri symptoms even if you are on the pill? (I am on lo/ovral). I would really appreciate it if anyone knows anything about this.

mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2006, 01:34 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User
Re: Anyone on BCP Still get symptoms?

Mary,
I was just going to post on the same subject. I am on Ortho-Tri-Cyclen Lo for 6 months and this month symptoms have been bad. Nausea, right side pain, ovary pain, bowels all messed up, anxiety, heart palps worse than ever and terrible stomach discomfort. I am about ready to quit the pill if these symptoms are going to be bad with or without it. I am even having hot flashes when that has never been one of my problems before. My breasts are sore, and that also hasn't been a problem until this month. My hormones must be working overtime. I have still had symptoms while on the BCP, but much milder. I wonder if the pill is not working anymore, I have had some mid-cycle spotting too with ovulation pain. What a pain this whole thing is! I would like to go to sleep and wake up when peri is over! Ann

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2006, 01:59 PM   #3
(female)

marys62 HB User

Ann,

Thank you so much for responding. I have been nauseous off and on all week. I have also been having mood swings and feel sad - which is unusual for me. I did have some kind of virus this week and felt pretty lousy, so i am hoping that it is all because of that. I am running a slight temperature - I guess it is the virus. Can your hormones make you have a fever? It's weird because I felt great yesterday after feeling bad for 2 days and then felt lousy again today. I am also feeling some anxiety that I have not had in some time. I have really been lucky while taking the pill, it really seemed to help all of my symptoms, but I have a feeling that my own hormones are jumping all over the place despite the pill and may be causing havoc! It doesn't help that I forgot to take my pill one day this week. Hopefully everything will go back to normal - I never get sick and I hate itwhen I feel like this!

mary

Old 08-05-2006, 10:25 AM   #4
(female)

Mistyeyze HB User

I must have been a complete hormonal mess when I started the bcp because I did notice some relief when I started--- however.... it was not the cure all I was hoping for-- I just couldn't shake the anxiety and bad moods.
I added Lexapro about 3 weeks ago, and I'm doing MUCH better. In fact- I'm thinking about going off the pill, and just staying on Lexapro. Mary why did you go off the Lexapro? I was initially worried about side effects, but this AD is really tolerable, and anxiety is WAY down.... I actually feel pretty good..... but I am attributing that to the Lexapro, NOT the bcp.

So that's the long answer that YES, I still got symptoms on the bcp.

Old 08-12-2006, 11:15 AM   #5
(female)

marys62 HB User

Misteyze,

I went off Lexapro because I felt fine and wanted to see if I had to take it anymore. I have been off it 8 months and have decided to restart it since my anxiety is crippling again. I feel horrible and the Lexapro really helped last time I felt like this.

Does your anxiety feel like you could just jump out of your own skin? I hate this feeling!

Mary

Old 08-12-2006, 01:35 PM   #6
(female)

pbjmom HB User

Hi Ladies!
I am hearing a lot of things good about Lexapro. Has anyone triedZoloft? I am on Zoloft and still feel like my anxiety levels are too high. I have been on Zoloft for 6 or so weeks and not sure if I have given it enough time or should switch to Lexapro. Any advice?

Thanks

Old 08-13-2006, 12:49 PM   #7
(female)

Mistyeyze HB User

pbj-

I was leary about AD's because years ago I tried them and felt terrible... (this was after a death in the family)..... they made me more anxious, and I just felt weird. Lexapro has been very different. For me anyway. It cuts anxiety-- doesn't make it worse. The first few days I had mild nausea, and that's it. Since then, the anxiety has been WAY down. I have klonopin waffers that I used to use when I was really to jump out of my skin, and I have not used a single one since the lexapro. Oh, another thing, I felt better in LESS than a week. If the Zoloft isn't cutting it, I would say definately talk to your doctor about Lexapro.

ps- Mary- YES my anxiety was like I wanted to jump out of my skin, and then some! Actually it was like this feeling of hating everything and everyone. It sucked.... to put it bluntly.

Old 08-13-2006, 01:03 PM   #8
(female)

marys62 HB User

Mistyeyze,

I decided to start on Lexapro again since it worked so well for me before. I am only on day 2, but hopeful. I started having peri symptoms about 4 yrs ago when I turned 40. I was mainly having hot flashes, heart racing, and horrible anxety. I went on the pill which at that point, which got rid of all my issues except anxiety. That is when I first tried Lexapro. It worked great for me after a few weeks. After a few months I went off it because I felt so good, but then I decided to go off the pill too and after a few months was nearly crazy. I went back on both and got relief again. I went off the Lexapro again in December of 2005 but stayed on the pill. I made it to about 2 months ago and started to feel the anxiety creep back in. This time I will just stay on the Lexapro for good! This perimenopause is a nightmare!

mary

Old 08-13-2006, 06:17 PM   #9
(female)

pbjmom HB User

I will talk to my GP or my gyn about switching soon. I was on Zoloft before for Post partum. My anxiety did not really exist back then. Perimenopause does stink. It has just changed so much about me. I am willing to do most anything to help me get back to the old ways.

What pill did you use along with the Lexapro? I am to start on Yaz next week. I have heard scary things about it. I am hoping that the combo of the pill and Zoloft will work better for my anxiety. If not, I will talk to my gyn for a switch. Luckily, my gyn lives down the street and our kids play together. She is one of the top docs here, so I consider myself lucky!!

Old 08-13-2006, 06:24 PM   #10
(female)

marys62 HB User

I am on lo/ovral as a bcp. I have tolerated it well. It is the same pill for 21 days then placebo pills for 7 days. I was hoping the pill alone would work for me but I really needed to go back on the Lexapro for anxiety. I tried Zoloft when this all started about 3 1/2 yrs ago and I could not tolerate it. The lexapro was a much better choice for me.

mary

Closed Thread