It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2006, 06:07 PM   #1
(female)

Shamrock HB User
Periods

I'm 47 years old and for the past year or so I've noticed great irregularity with my periods. Sometimes i'll just have spotting or a scant flow for a few days and other times I'll have these episodes of flooding with huge clots. I spoke with my doctor about this and she says it's very normal. My tests are OK, but I am anemic from the heavy periods and take iron 3x/day. I can't take BCP's because of other medical issues. Has anyone had these wild,long-lasting periods with huge clots? I trust my doctor but it's nice to know about others my age who may be going through the same thing. I always feel like I have to be near a bathroom when this happens as I can be changing the tampons/pads every hour or 2. It's very annoying to say the least!

Old 08-07-2006, 06:08 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User
Re: Periods

Your situation sounds alot like mine. My periods were regular, but becoming heavier every month. Last fall all hell broke loose. They became non-stop with flooding and clots for days on end. Finally, I gave up and went on BCP's. I am 52, pretty old to be on the pill! It helped my periods alot, but other symptoms have remained the same or even got worse. I was going to stay on for 1 year, but think I am going off at the end of this packet and try it again on my own. I am having alot digestive pains and I think the pill might be flairing up some old gall bladder problems. Hang in there, I will soon be in the same boat with you again. Ann

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2006, 08:38 AM   #3
(female)

Shamrock HB User

Thanks for the kind words,Cruisers. It's good to know that this happens to others. I feel like I've taken out stock in feminine hygiene products just to keep up! I don't have it like this every month,thank God! It seems like if I have a very light month or skip a month or 2,the uterine lining builds up and then all hell breaks loose! I can't take any BCP's and I really don't want to resort to a hysterectomy if I can get through this on my own. I may try the progesterone cream. I know it probably won't control the wild periods,but maybe it may help balance things out. I have a good friend who was having horrible hot flashes for weeks on end. She had been on the pill for the same reason and took herself off because she had bad headaches and her periods completely stopped!(which I wouldn't mind right now). She tried the progesterone cream and said it works great. She hasn't had a hot flash since she started using it. I may try it and see if it might help balance things out. Anyway,good luck coming off the BCP's. Maybe you'll do fine now.

Old 08-13-2006, 04:01 PM   #4
(female)

sdorton HB User

Shamrock, I am sort of in the same boat as you! I just joined this forum because I wanted to see if I am normal! I cannot go on BCP because of high blood pressure and had an episode a few years ago and dr. said No more BCP. Well I have very heavy periods most months and cannot go out of the house unless I have a super plus tampon and pad on! I also have bad cramps, kind of like childbirth.....Dr. still says everything is fine, just to basically live with it. This came from both my gyn and family doctor. So now I am sitting here with sore breasts, craving salts and a headache. Have had night sweats off and on and mood swing for about a year. I have tried hormones, and I bleed all month so I have to put up with this once a month instead. Hubby is going nuts. I dread next week when I know I am going to start. I'm 50 and ready to stop having periods! Thanks for listening. SD

Closed Thread