It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2006, 06:48 PM   #1
(female)

ThinBones HB User
Please help with this sympton...is it normal???

I know I am in the throes of menopause, at least peri anyway. I am in good health and the only thing I really worry about is I feel short of breathe fairly often, not from activity, this is resting. I am getting enough air I just feel like I am not. Not sure about this, no history of cardio problems, etc. Just feel like I have to conssciously breathe....does this also sound like a menopause sympton??? Thanks....so much.

Old 08-06-2006, 08:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB UserHopefully HB User
Re: Please help with this sympton...is it normal???

You are not alone. I went through the same thing and matter of fact I've had some reoccurance of this symptom lately. I'm currently taking compounded progesterone and it has helped some what with this and other peri. symptoms.

Hopefully, you'll find relief soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2006, 09:19 AM   #3
(female)

deenie HB User
I have the same thing

It's like sometimes I have to yawn to get a deep breath. It's been like this since last summer. A few days are ok but mostly it's a conscious decision to breathe. It sent me to my internist and a cardiologist but they found nothing wrong. I'm 44 and just had two children (back to back) after the age of 40. I attribute it to running around after them but I don't know if it's stress, peri, thyroid or some other issue. I did fine on the spirometry test with my internist (even though I felt like I couldn't take a deep breath then) and I've had heart u/s and stress tests.

I'm also bothered by insomnia and frequent night wakings. That's when I feel it the most. I have to really see when it gets better. It seems to happen a few days a month, I think when my cycle starts. I really have to pay attention.

I'll be interested to see what the others say. If this is perimenopause, I'm dreading the real thing!

Old 08-07-2006, 09:50 AM   #4
(female)

Les44 HB User

I had your exact problem last year. I tend to have bouts of asthma during heavy allergy season but this was just weird. My asthma test came out negative and my family doc just couldn't figure it out. I was like you in that I could breathe but it often felt like I couldn't complete a yawn or I would wake up in the middle of the night unable to breathe.
I started using Singulair (a tablet form of asthma medicine) and instead of a regular ventolin inhaler I used Advair (it's round and very weird to use). Those worked for the most part but I still had nights where I woke up unable to breathe. For the really bad nights the doc gave me codeine pills with instructions to use them very sparingly.
I believe it's related to peri and perhaps a slight infection. Haven't had the problem since last winter and praying it doesn't ever return.
Les

Old 08-07-2006, 11:17 AM   #5
(female)

ThinBones HB User

Thanks for responses, makes me feel better, well at least that I am not alone. Deenie, good for you but I bet your body is tired out, I had my last at age 42, I just turned 50 (yikes!!) Think it keeps the hormones going longer, at least that it what I like to think. What is bad about this is that the more you think about it, the more conscious it becomes which makes you feel more starved for air. I want to avoid going to MD as I think they will say....oh it is nothing and we can't do anything but maybe an inhaler would help. Trouble is, I remember them making my heart pound. Do they still do that or have they come up with a better medication?? Here's to easy breathing......

Old 08-07-2006, 07:30 PM   #6
(female)

Barbz615 HB User
same as deenie

I've had the same experience with the constant yawning to get a good deep breath in. For over a year (June '05) I've kept very specific details of every symptom on calendars. I guess I was out to prove something "hormonal" was happening after watching doctor after doctor scratch their head with a kind of disbelief because it wasn't visiable or I forgot a "key" word to describe every detail when I sat in the office. I also went to a cardiologist and she suggested "hormonal changes" which sent me on this mission to find out more.
thinking it could have been stress related after long hours at a hospice caring for my mom then loose her to cancer in March '05 and cleaning out our family home of 25 yrs to sell. later I found that the beginning of the symptoms just had very bad timing, because over time the symptoms didn't subside and I noticed cycle patterns, still very regular 28 days

I highly recommend keeping track of when symptoms occur.
My symptoms were cycle days 7 thru 14. day 15 wake up as good as new.
I've just started a low dose of birth control, FINALLY!
after approx 14 days on it I feel more "balanced" than I have in a yr. Days 13 & 14 were the only days (so far) which were very, very mild days instead of multi-symptoms everyday for 8 days ... yesterday was the breathing and today was alittle moody. tomorrow is day 15
the sleep problems started in May of this yr, I wake up at approx 5:45 every morning for a few days but luckily I'm able to get back to sleep for alittle longer this also happens on the same same cycle days.

now I'm 99.9% convinced it's hormonal and was finally able to get the Birth contol pills, it took alot of research and "fight" to get this far & hopefully I'm on my way back to feeling like me

At first it is very scary not knowing what is happening then having doctors not know, but trust me, chart every cramp, tear & tantrum, it's hard because it will stay on your mind BUT you may actually watch a pattern develope.

Last edited by Barbz615; 08-07-2006 at 07:32 PM.

Closed Thread