It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2006, 06:16 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User
oldest lady still menstruating

i'm just curious about this. i'm 54 next month and my last period was jan/feb this year. i was convinced that was the end of them, but last week i think i ovulated and now have sore breasts. also the hot flashes have stopped in the last week or so which they always did after i ovulated and until my period was over. i wouldn't be surprised if i saw a period sometime next week because of these symptoms. my doctor has said that she thinks i'm pretty old to have had a period at 53, let alone almost 54! what is the age of the oldest person you know to still be menstruating but not taking any hormone stuff at all, neither hrt or birth control pill or bioidentical, etc. i just take supplements like magnesium, calcuim, fish oil, etc. i am very interested to hear from you ladies.

sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2006, 08:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User
Re: oldest lady still menstruating

I had regular periods until I was 56 years old and I wasn't taking anything. I skipped my periods for a year and had one more. I am now three years post.

I don't know if there are older women here. They are probably out enjoying themselves. At least, I hope so.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2006, 08:41 AM   #3
(female)

suelynn HB User

Hi..you ladies are not old!!I turn 51 this year, and mine are still pretty regular, although I do notice little changes..they used to be about 6 weeks apart..now 4, they used to be 9-10 days long and heavy..now 7-8 days and not as heavy..and I found these boards because I am dealing with thyroid and acid reflux troubles..all related I think so, but Dr's don't.

I dread the hot flash thing,although I am usually always cold

Sue

Old 08-08-2006, 12:13 PM   #4
(female)

kaytee52 HB User

I'm 54....my last period was in April.....My periods weren't really regular till I was almost 20 so I thought maybe that has delayed me a bit....that and I was on the Pill from 1997 till 2003. I wouldnt rule out my having another....but I hope it's all over....

Old 08-08-2006, 06:51 PM   #5
(female)

tlily HB User

I am 55 and had a period two months ago. Thought I was over this because the last period was 11 months before that. Now all the sweats, anxiety and dizziness has returned.
Tlily

Old 08-09-2006, 01:19 AM   #6
(female)

Alabasterlyn HB User

I know quite a lot of women who are between 52 and 54 and all are still having normal periods and have no signs of the menopause yet.

Lyn

Old 08-09-2006, 02:30 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

it seems i am far from being alone then. i don't know whether this is heartening or disheartening, good because it would appear to be fairly normal and bad because i could have another 2 or more years of all this - doh!! i always believed that the average age was somewhere between 47 and 52-ish, and also that you tended to follow your mother's pattern, is this something you ladies have also heard?

sue

Old 08-09-2006, 07:33 AM   #8
(female)

Stitcher317 HB User

Hello Everyone,

I was 58 when I had my last period and they were fairly regular but got quite heavy at the end. Dr. put me on Premarin and added Progesterone for the last 10 days of my cycle. Periods were so heavy on this regimen Dr. finally switched me to Prempro every day. Once I started on this, I never had another period....nice! Since my mom had breast cancer at age 71, after being on Premarin for 30 years, I decided to only take it for 5 years. Feeling great now at age 64. My 50 year old sister is just beginning this journey and I feel for her. She feels horrible most days. Hopefully her Dr. will come up with a formula of medications that will help ease her discomfort.....One thing I will mention that may be an issue for some. Have your thyroid levels checked. My TSH levels started to raise gradually through my 50's. I was constantly tired, irritable, depressed, etc. All that was offered was HRT and antidepressants which I refused to take. A new Dr. (female) listened to my complaints and it took her 5 minutes to tell me what my problem was... once started on Synthroid, I started feeling terrific. Just a suggestion. Your levels don't have to be out of normal range for you to have symptoms....and the symptoms do mirror menopause symptoms, in my opinion.

Have a great day everyone,
Linda

Old 08-09-2006, 12:05 PM   #9
(female)

kaytee52 HB User

In reference to the "mother/daughter" experience in menopause....I've heard that as well, but it hasnt been true in my case. My mother doesnt even remember her age at her last period...and remembers no bad side effects at all!...She doesnt even remember having a hot flash!....So I thought I'd sail right through peri-menopause with never a care....Well, though I havent suffered like so many ladies here....I've had night sweats, hot flashes, periods lasting 26 days, and some trouble with fibrocystic breast lumps...My sister who is 3 years younger has also had most of these problems....So it's not true in our case that our experince mirrors our mother's.....

Old 08-10-2006, 07:06 PM   #10
(female)

venezia HB User

Just so you know you're not alone - I'm 53 (soon to be 54 in October) and am still having periods although I never know when. I may have a period two months in a row and then not have one for 2-3 months. I really haven't had the hot flashes but do have a lot of annoying, weird perimenopausal symptoms. I keep thinking this time it's going to quit for good and then another one appears!

Take care,
Venezia

Old 08-10-2006, 10:44 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

I turned 54 in January of this year.....still had regular periods through March.
Skipped April, May, June, July and so far August. I hope this is the end, but I'm aware they can start up any time......Stopping my cycle did not get rid of the hot flashes, anxiety and night sweats.

Old 08-15-2006, 06:46 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Sissypie HB User

My mother was 58 when she stopped having regular periods. I think she even had a couple after that, but the regular monthly ones stopped at 58.

I'm 50, and I still have them as regular as clockwork. I do have longer and more intense PMS than I used to when I was young, and a few of the peri symptoms from time to time. PMS being the worst of any of my symptoms.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:36 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

gosh, i'm completely astounded that ladies of 58 can still have periods, i truly had no idea it was remotely possible. there was me thinking i was fairly clued up on all this and now a feel very ignorant. think i'll go and have a lie down with a glass of wine and a large bar of chocolate! and better not throw out the bag of st's that's been shoved to the back of the cupboard just yet. thanks ladies, it's been a real eye opener.

sue

Old 08-15-2006, 10:09 AM   #14
(female)

Weenee HB User

I have been looking for forums with this topic. I am pushing 56 (in October) & still am regular as clockwork, no medications & my doctor is pushing for a hysterectomy. I have no problems except for heavy bleeding, but have a fibroid uterus. I have had D&C (no change in bleeding), 4-5 endometrial biopsies, many ultrasounds, etc & no sign of cancer. I am opting for waiting for nature. Anybody else with this problem? My doctor insists I will get cancer if I bleed much longer.

Eileen

Old 08-15-2006, 10:33 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

I had heavy bleeding, to the point of chronic anemia, fibroids, ovarian cysts, colposcopies and biopsies (3 times) for cervical cell changes, numerous ultrasounds and my gyn never once mentioned hysterectomy. My periods stopped 4 months after I turned 54. My aunt says she was 57. Neither my gyn or primary care doctor seemed too concerned about my age, as none of the tests pointed to cancer. I have read that the longer you menstruate, there is a higher percentage of cancer occurence. I think I would look into what they mean by higher percentage.....sometimes the percentage is minimal, but they still have to report it. If the percentage is high, I'd be inclined to listen to my doctor.

Closed Thread