It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2006, 10:28 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

oceandreams HB User
HRT treatment...what to do?

I have been taking bioidentical hormones for a couple of months now and have found that the progesterone is making me feel more depressed than I was before. Now I'm thinking about trying regular HRT (PremPro or FemHRT), but don't like the scary stories about these drugs.

What are some of you doing? Should I continue with the bioidentical hormones, and have the progesterone levels adjusted down? I can't really tell if the estrogen is helping or not. I don't have hot flashes now, but I still have insomnia, depression, anxiety.

Old 08-08-2006, 08:19 PM   #2
(female)

Korikins HB User
Re: HRT treatment...what to do?

If I can handle it, I'm not going to do any HRT or bio. There's good and bad about both of them, and my doctor says, other than getting you through some of the bad symptoms, there's really no benefits (like preventing heart disease) by replacing hormones. And some people don't find relief with either. You could always try it and see what happens. By all means, don't suffer when you don't have to.

I think with your symptoms, you'd be better off going on a AD. I take a mild one at bedtime that helps me sleep. Sleeping well helps with so many things.

Try magnesium, calcium and Omega 3s as well. Sometimes you just have to try different things and see what works for YOU.

Good luck!
Kori

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2006, 09:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User

I am also on bio-identical hormones, since March. My doctor also prescribed Celexa, an anti-depressant. He also prescribed Ativan, an anti-aniety, and Ambien for sleep to use as necessary. I used both the Ativan and Ambien for just a little while until I was feeling better. Now I hardly ever need them, and thus don't take them The Celexa helps to keep the depression and anxiety in check very well for me. I hate taking pills, but the quality of my life was so yucky without them; I am very glad there was medication available when I needed it. I know I won't be on HRT or anti-depressants for the rest of my life. As much as I hate taking meds., I also hate that something as normal and natural as menopause can rob me of the quality of my life if I don't take medication. I feel pretty much my old self now. Good luck to you and hope to see you around this board with good news about your health!

Last edited by Red Maple; 08-08-2006 at 09:32 PM.

Old 08-09-2006, 10:07 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

oceandreams HB User

Thank you both for your replies and support.

Korikins, what AD do you take? And you only have to take it at night for sleep? That sounds like what I need.

Old 08-10-2006, 05:08 AM   #5
(female)

chrisphil HB User

I have been taking a herbal suppliment for 2 years now and have had great results (so far). It is a product called Maca Gold you can buy it from a health food shop it does seem to work. The recomended dose is 6 per day but I only take 3 per day then if my symptoms get worse I can take more.

Chris

Last edited by chrisphil; 08-10-2006 at 05:10 AM.

Old 08-10-2006, 03:09 PM   #6
(female)

Korikins HB User

Ocean......I take Trazodone HCL 50 mg. I take it a short while before going to bed. Or I take it then watch TV in bed for awhile.

Kori

Old 08-11-2006, 08:49 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User

I've been on bioidentical hormones for about a year. I did have to have the dose adjusted about 6 months into it. I was high in estrogen and testosterone. I noticed that I'd been feeling a little more anxious. I've been feeling pretty good these past few months, with only small bouts of anxiety and insomnia. My heart hardly ever races, just a few palps every great once in a while, which doesn't really freak me out. I feel so much better than I did before.

Definitely talk to your Dr. or pharmacist about adjusting your hormones. I got my hormone levels retested after being on bio for 6 months.

Closed Thread