It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2006, 05:14 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User
Mood Swings

Anyone else dealing with perimenopausal mood swings? What helps you with these?

Old 08-09-2006, 07:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: Mood Swings

The only think i found out to help me were either anti depressants or anti anxiety drugs or deep breathing and learning to slow down. So hard when your hormones are raging.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2006, 07:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User

You could try 5HTP. I take it 3 times a day. It's a natural antidepressant. A good brand is NOW. You can get it at your local health food store.

Good luck. I have terrible mood swings and anxiety. I do think the 5HTP helps me ,although it doesn't totally take it away.

Old 08-09-2006, 08:25 PM   #4
(female)

Sweetgirl HB User

I have awful PMS. Psychiatrist put me on a low dose of Lexapro and Provigil. The Provigil seems to help.

I can't take hormones because they activate my lupus. I might try maca - I'm reading some good stuff about it balancing hormones, taking away fuzzy brain, etc.

Old 08-12-2006, 09:22 AM   #5
(female)

Mistyeyze HB User

omg the mood swings were my worst peri symptom. I got it bad. The thing that has helped the most for me in that area is 10mg of Lexapro. I have never been a fan of AD's.... but this drug has really worked.

Old 08-12-2006, 09:36 AM   #6
(female)

newphase HB User

I am 45 and have just begun peri-menopause (or just realized it!) and am having a horrible time. My mood swings are horrible...I am tense, agitated, weepy, anxious...the whole 9 yards. Did anyone else suddenly have high blood pressure at the onset of peri? Up until the Fall of last year, my blood pressure was 110/70 and then shot up to 144/92! At times it has gone down to 124/84, but still not as low as I had been. I just saw my gyn and she suggested a mild anti-depressant for the anxiety, and I have to go back and have my pressure checked next week. Just wondered if anyone else had blood pressure issues coincide with peri. Thanks!

Old 08-12-2006, 02:53 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

To those on lexapro, what mg are you taking? I know Mistyeyze said she took 10mg. Also, have you had any weight gain from the lexapro? I hope I'm not hijacking the thread. Just curious.

Old 08-12-2006, 03:02 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

marymk HB User

Hi Girls,

My mood swings are awful - I can be just fine, and then wham - I'm in tears or just plan anxious about EVERYTHING. It seems to happen from mid cycle until I get my period, then I'm OK for a few days.
I mentioned this to my GYN a couple weeks ago, at my yearly exam. She likes a more 'natural' approach.
She said-
"You don't really want anti-depressant's do you?" Well I was feeling OK that day, so I agreed with her. I've been taking evening primrose oil, calcium and a multi vitamin. (on her suggestion). Sometimes it helps and sometimes not.
I think I may talk to my GP about it when I go in September. I hate to bypass my GYN in this matter, but there are day's I really need something.

Mary

Old 08-12-2006, 10:59 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

brid HB User

hi all! i wanted to ask if peri menopause increase blood pressure, thanks!

Old 08-13-2006, 04:59 AM   #10
(female)

Sweetgirl HB User

I don't think perimenopause increases blood pressure.

Re Lexapro dosage, it depends. I have been as high as 15 mg during extremely stressful times (DH in hospital) and now I take 2.5 mg to 5 mg (cutting the pill into quarters or halves). It helps with the anxiety & was prescribed by both my psychiatrist and PCP.

I had no weight gain, but I'm pretty active (work out almost daily) and I watch what I eat.

Old 08-13-2006, 05:45 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

i used to have awful mood swings too, but thankfully they seem to be a thing of the past now, i would guess because i'm reaching towards the end of all this and starting to come out the other end. as for blood pressure issues, i never had a problem, ever, until two years ago when for some reason it shot up, and it's only very recently and after two changes of medication that it's come down to 'normal'. i too kicked against taking meds. for it but one day a switch flicked in my mind and i thought i'd sooner take meds. everyday to get it 'normal' than have a stroke or any other related complications. i too have read that it's nothing to do with menopause but personally believe it is, too much of a co-incidence for too many women for it not to be somehow related. just my opinion.

sue

Old 08-13-2006, 04:30 PM   #12
(female)

heitara HB User

Oh yes, mood swings, what a horrible thing to cope with! I have to say dhea helped me a lot to balance my state of mind. I'm also taking vitamine B because my gyn too is for a natural approach. But I still go up and down for no reason, although not as bad as before Dhea, and anxiety is always here to haunt me.
I want to ask for antidepressants but I'm still a bit scared at the thought of taking them.
As for the hbp, three years ago, and for a couple of years, my bp switched from 115/70 to 140/85. Now has gotten back to a sort of normal, but never as low as before.
Going to bed before my breasts explode! Pmsing for the last seven days and still no sign...

"I'm not young enough to know everything". O. Wilde

Old 08-13-2006, 08:06 PM   #13
(female)

newphase HB User

My gyn recommended that I take Lexapro (10 mg) to help with my anxiety. It's hard to tell if all of my symptoms are related or not...the high blood pressure, the anxiety, the insomnia, etc. I also think the hbp seems to be awfully conicidental in it's timing for it not to be related to peri-menopause. Then again, I guess it doesn't really matter why. Whatever the cause, it has to be managed. I would imagine that once I start taking the Lexapro and my anxiety level decreases, my blood pressure may get back to a more normal reading. I am also a bit afraid of taking an anti-depressant, but I am at the point that I will try almost anything if it helps me to feel better! It helps that my sister is a psychologist and is very knowledgeable about anti-depressants, and as they go, she said Lexapro is a fine choice.

Old 08-13-2006, 09:52 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brid
hi all! i wanted to ask if peri menopause increase blood pressure, thanks!
Declining estrogen can affect your blood pressure. Like so many others my bp was low before I began peri. If you do a search, I don't think that I can mention the site here, but there are medical articles out there on this subject.

You are not alone .

Old 08-13-2006, 09:57 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

I tried Lexapro and other antidepressant in the SSRI family and they were not the class of antidepressants that I could tolerate. I'm currently taking Wellbutrin XL.

When I took Lexapro I craved carbohydrate. Of course giving in to this type of craving led to weight gain, but there are other women who did not experience this craving or weight gain.

We are all so unique and wonderfully made!

Closed Thread